98 Tahoe - Cylinder 6 misfire - fuel or ignition problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoeLV

Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping you can help me narrow down the issue instead of shooting the parts cannon.

98 Tahoe, 4WD, 222k miles

Recently, I have noticed that I have been intermittingly been getting a misfire and pulled the info, finding mainly on cylinder 6 (initially ~300) and occasionally cylinder 5 (initially ~40) along with a code regarding the B2S1 O2 sensor (forget what code was - thought I screen shot it before clearing it). I ran some MMO in the gas tank and with an oil change (per instructions on the bottle). Later, I was driving up a decent and long grade at 65+ MPH and really noticed a misfire and started monitoring the data. The cylinder 6 misfire climbed to about 3000 and cylinder 5 to about 250. The road leveled off and the misfire went away. It seemed the harder I pushed the engine up the grade, the more prominent the misfire would get.

The code for the O2 sensor seems to have stayed away since initially seeing it. After the grade that really caused the misfire to be prominent, I have driven about 150 miles and no more codes/misfires.

I figure it is most likely a fuel delivery issue (I hear the CFI spider injection has its problems) or an ignition issue (I think I've read the ignition system can be a little finicky when starting to change parts there).

Any input on what the issue may be and additional info I can provide would be appreciated.

History - as far as I am aware, the truck still has the original CFI spider, distributor, cap, rotor, etc. Spark plugs were last changed at 180k miles. I got the truck with 176k miles and for the most part, had no issues. I am unsure of any maintenance down prior to getting it. The only major issue was in the first 150 miles of buying the truck and the transmission blew as I was towing a small trailer up a hill on the freeway, however when I got it towed to the shop and they replaced it, I was told it appeared as someone put gear oil in the transmission instead of ATF, causing the problem.

Thanks.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
What do the plugs on 5 & 6 look like?

How old are your plug wires?

I am going to try and pull the plugs this evening. As far as the wires, I haven't changed them, so the may be original or its unknown.

Edit: here are the 2 plugs. They look as expected to me. Took a wire brush to the threads and put them back in.

Plug 5

20220410_225302.jpg
20220410_225244.jpg
Plug 6
20220410_225313.jpg
20220410_225857.jpg

Last edited:

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by pulling off your cap and rotor. Those are like consumable items on these trucks. Cheap insurance for me is, replace cap, rotor, plugs and wires, and clean or replace air filter.

However, the last bout I had with my truck misfiring was an intake manifold leak. I did the MPFI upgrade with the new Felpro gasket kit. I was also having a lot of coolant leaking on the garage floor. The vacuum leak was apparent as a whistle, as well as an increase in idle rpm putting it into “Park”

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a Note. I have tried other spark plugs. I always go back to OEM AC Delco. I’ve got 430k Kms/267k Miles on my truck.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor man's ocilliscope....Get a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap. Have someone lightly power brake the truck while you mist some water around the plug wires. If you have a bad wire it will start missing. Also look at the porcelain of the plugs for any carbon tracks looking for the path of least resistance. As the plug gaps gat bigger it increases the load on the ignition and the additional voltage will jump to whatever is easier.

OP
OP
H

HoeLV

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

To the question asked, I did regap the plugs when I put them back in as they were no longer proper.

@YukonGTmaster, I did notice a few times the RPM jump when going into "Park," but I only recall it happening 2-3 times. I have not seen a drop in coolant.

It looks like I will be ordering some new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Is there a consensus on brands to stick with or avoid? Just sticking with AC Delco? I've always heard good things about MSD when it comes to ignition, distributors, wires, etc.

Is there any benefit in making the switch from the CFI to the MPFI? Is the new system that much better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz