98 tahoe 5.7l spark plugs???/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chubby

Reaction score
From what i read on the forum about plugs some are saying that ngk should be gapped at .40, would that be the correct gap for ngk's? Cause i'm thinking of getting some. please any input would help!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
No, right here right now. 350 vortec engines use a 41-993 ac-delco plug pre-gapped at 0.060. Unless you are modding the ignition. If not do not use anything else but a stock delco or a high end Autolite APP605.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... If not do not use anything else but a stock delco or a high end Autolite APP605.

Why the Autolite's. I'm not bashing. I'm just curious.

Everything I've ever read and the old guys in our shop that I"ve talked to about the 350's say to stay with OEM AC-Delco plugs in our truck... Some like the platinum, others regular copper but still AC-Delco.....

But you are very bullish on the Autolite's. I'm curious as to why? Knowing you, you've done some comparisons side by side yourself and after rigorous testing have determined that they are good maybe better than ACD's, but I'm still curious as to your thoughts/reasons behind the Autolite reccomendations.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Like you said some of it is years of comparisons and reading different plugs in the same equipment. Effectiveness properties such as noise suppression, insulation breakdown, resistivity and such. Engineering of materials and processes used. Other factors are intended use, expectations, what the system is designed around, predictability of performance, compatibility, total long term cost of end results, companies and parent companies behind the product, availability, knowledge of support staff and more.

When it come to stock electronic or sensors for a gm it has to be delphi, bosch and other oem suppliers. Spark plugs can be delcos or autolites but don't have to be just delcos. If any thing just one one basic center and ground electrode. No v-cuts, no multi-conductor(unless in aircraft of course), no exotic marketing schemes and no budget brands.

If the gm engine is stock then go with Delco. Because I am modifying my ignition one of the reasons I mad the Autolite choice is my experience with them under similar circumstances and the recommendation and experience of others use of them.

For a Japanese or european it would be basic bosch, ngk or nippondensoes, no auto's or delcos. Lawn power equipment Autolites or Champions. Bosch +4's, HELL NO!

It all depends.

Feel like I'm wanting to mod power equipment engines now. :drool:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes sence.
Thanks for giving a no BS answer.
'I like the way you think.'

Hehe, that damned mod bug. Once it bites, it spreads out to everything and everyone around you. My 11yr old boy just got a new THIS a few weeks ago. The first thing he asked is if he could put bigger tires on the back to have it keep up with my Polaris Ranger in the bush.... He's only 11 and he wants to start modding!!!

You go right on ahead and mod those small engines. Like Tim the tool man, you can have a supercharged Binford 5000 riding lawn mower!

custom97

Reaction score
I agree, unless your modding your ignition I would run OEM preferred plugs. I've always run OEM plugs on all my vehicles and never had any issues. I'm in the process of tuning up the 2dr Hoe I just bought and will be going that route.

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
One thing that I've found out with plugs for the '99 and older 5.7 Vortecs, is to stay with a .060 gap. The .040 gap is for the newer engines.
As far as the brand/model plugs... I went with NGK's originally and they were factory gapped @ .051. Truck ran ok, but had a bump @ idle. I put in AC Delco 41-993's gapped @.060(had to change the wires again because they came apart taking 'em off).
I noticed that I get the arcing from the boots...right down the plug insulator to the spark plugs ground body. I think this is giving me my P0306 code.
I just got in original AC Delco Spark plug wires, and Autolite AP605 (is double platinum really necessary??)
I like the Autolite plugs because they have the ribs on the insulator to help prevent arcing, and misfires.
I'm going to install them this weekend(when the rain stops), and see how they are.
Don't forget to put the Di-electric grease...... none of the new wires have enough, or any at all.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Double platinum is (APP)needed to meet the oem spec of plug. It is not twice as much platinum on an electrode. A far as Autolite is concerned it means platinum on the center and ground electrode. AP is just a platinum center with regular ground so if you want similar to delco 41-993 you want at least APP605 but I think delco has gone Iridium now so maybe go xp605 from Autolite.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:manos: Another spark plug thread.

I must have one of those rare Japanese built Vortecs since it runs just fine on NGK's.

I always ran Champion Copper Core in everything I owned. Always loved em.

Yours must've been built on a Briggs or Kohler factory :gr_grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700