8 lug conversion????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmcarr85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well I see the guy down there did a 5 to 6 lug conversion. Well I was wondering if the 6 lug could be converted to an 8 lug?

I want to get a new 14 bolt for the rear so I know that is 8 lug but can I switch the front over to 8 lug without changing anything until I get my SAS?

I want new wheels but dont want to buy 6 lug then get 8 lug wheels 6 months later.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a 14b 6 lug unit out of a light duty 2500 series pick up. no need to convert to an 8 lug. This is a very common swap. You will need a conversion U joint, bigger U bolts. Make sure the axle comes from a 4x4, the 2wd is about 2" too narrow I think.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
You need to look for a 14 sf from a 1500 hd, it will be 6 lug. Any 6 lug out of a 2500 will be two wheel drive which is too narrow as stated above, however you can modify the axle width along with spring perches and shock mounts but its alot more work then its worth. Although 14 sf 6 lugs are alot harder to find and more expensive, they are worth it. My swap will start in late Dec. when i can go pick up my axle let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP
C

cmcarr85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I want to run a 60/14 setup. I was wondering if I get the 14 bolt 8 lug can I swap the front for now to 8 lug?

I know they make 14 bolts in 6 lug but I want to do a SAS with a dana 60 from an 8 lug ford into it. Thats why I was asking. I need tires and the tires I want I will need to buy new rims so I didnt see any sense in buying 6 lug rims than selling them when I do the SAS and 8 lug setup...

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
ah ok didnt read the question entirely i guess. It would seem to me that you couldnt swap spindles due to size differences along with steering linkage and swapping the wheel hub assemblies would pose the same issues with cv axle sizes and brake clearances etc. Overall i would think it wouldnt be worth it at all, alot more work for only a temporary fix. I see your issue with wheel sizes and tire swaps, but imo you putting wasted time and money into something that will be torn out for solid axle fabrication.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to do the same thing and have a doner truck will the spindles and everything work off of an 89 gmc 3500 for a 99 tahoe? im not worried about the 4x4 half shafts working because im eliminating 4x4 if i swap the spindle with all the brakes and everything and replace all tie rods and ball joints will that work? the 89 is alot older but it is the same body style

sorry for thread stealing but i just got some 28" rims and dont want adapters on my truck!

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i want to do the same thing and have a doner truck will the spindles and everything work off of an 89 gmc 3500 for a 99 tahoe? im not worried about the 4x4 half shafts working because im eliminating 4x4 if i swap the spindle with all the brakes and everything and replace all tie rods and ball joints will that work? the 89 is alot older but it is the same body style

sorry for thread stealing but i just got some 28" rims and dont want adapters on my truck!

Just for the record.. adapters arent bad in certain situations.. some floating front ends are designed to run massive adapters.. since some trucks like the trophys are designed to run what is basically a 12 inch wide front wheel drive wheel..

im not sure if this applys at all.. im just saying.. where the weight is on the wheel is more important than whether or not ro run an adapter..

If the middle of the wheel.. is centered or close to center.. to the original plate where the factory studs are.. (i.e. using an adapter to push a shallow offset wheel far enough out to fit on a RWD offset vehicle.. then you are golden.

Its putting an adapter on a RWD offset truck to push youre ALREADY deep offest (RWD) wheels out further that murders front(and rear) ends.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my 28" rims are tis model 03 they are 28x10 with a 0 offest and 5.5" rear spacing, the thing im worried about is with the wheel being so heavy im scared the adapters will break or end up loosening the lugs and i will loose a wheel and im putting candy paint on it and the last thing i want is a 3000$ rim flying off and smashing my trunk especially becasue the rims are discontinued now also

Attachments

• 1213091632.jpg
    1213091632.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15

MOBmentality

Has a $25,000 Punch
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man one of my next projects is gonna be a short bed old body 2 door with 28s or 30s.. i cant wait..

Yea The adapters can be , not a bad thing, I wouldnt worry so much about them breaking .. the back of every dually on the planet is basically a set of wheels mounted to an adapter..

And all the dudes running SEMI wheels on trucks.. are running adapters...

Pro Stock Trophy trucks.... the dudes doing 150mph across sand dunes and rocks..

as well as most people running a tractor wheel on mud trucks..

and im sure ALL of those are going to be used more roughly than your 28s..

I cant answer your question about the hub change.. and if its as easy as you hope.. id dive all over it..

But if not.. dont let it discourage you because running adapters is NOT as bad as some say...

Im pretty sure.. you could actually get moser to just fill and re drill your front hubs too.. so there is another way..

http://www.moserengineering.com/

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if i have to im going to run adapters i think i found out how to do it searching the web i just have to make sure i have the right front axle. but im going to search a little more to find out for sure

and ya my truck isnt going to be driven much at all with the rubberband tires i got anyway lol!

sorry for thread stealing!!! if i figure out how to get mine to 8 lug ill help ya out man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz