5 lug to 6 lug conversion help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
Doubt you can use the newer generation truck stuff, but IDK honestly.

I helped my brother swap a 14 bolt in his 90 C1500 RCSB many years ago. The donor truck was like a 97 C2500 6 lug. The rear axle was straightforward, just needed a conversion u joint. These generation trucks had different rear axle widths between the C- series and K-series, so you have to use the C- series axles to keep the same track width.

For the front he used the steering knuckle, rotors and brake calipers also from the donor truck. He did the front himself, so I don't know all the details, but I'm pretty sure it all bolted right up. He's running those OEM 20" Silverado Texas Edition rims. He told me he did have to use spacers due to some backspacing issues of the rims. I don't really know much of that kinda stuff.

I would imagine this swap would also work on the C- series SUVs? Maybe look into that as an option. The 3/4 ton 6 lug trucks are kinda rare these days, but you can still find them out there on wrecking yards.
thanks for the reply and i was also looking at a 4wd 97 2dr tahoe it has 6 lugs and maybe i could use just the hub assembly from that but since mine is a 99 2wd not sure if the hubs would match up

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score

First 5 mins talks about just doing a straight rotor swap from 5 to 6 lug. Won’t have to change any major components up front.

As far as the rear, meh, I don’t feel like doing anymore research for ya.
ok thanks for your reply and thats the video i was talking about when i came up with the idea but the part numbers he used wont work for my year tahoe and i was just wondering if anybody knew what year could i interchange with

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
Can mrtahoe42 use the
hub assembly
caliper brackets
calipers
rotors & pads
from a 2010 GMT900
(better than the '07-'09 stuff)

Asking 'cause:
I don't know the answer myself
Now that I've upgraded the front brakes, I am no longer afraid to drive like I used to.

If you can make use of the 2010 front brake kit, you won't regret the upgrade.
one more question when i was looking for them parts i couldnt seem to find it by gmt900 is that the same as a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks for your reply and thats the video i was talking about when i came up with the idea but the part numbers he used wont work for my year tahoe and i was just wondering if anybody knew what year could i interchange with
Are you sure? Do you have hub assemblies in the front or spindles?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why are you saying the part numbers wont work? i did this 5>6lug conversion on a c1500 20 years ago. probably wasnt those exact part numbers but a few mins on rockauto should be able to find the right rotors
there isnt an "interchange" part labeled clearly tahoe 2wd 6 lug hub because there was never a 2wd 6 lug from 92-99. your tahoe uses a spindle in the front, the brake rotor houses the bearings making up the "hub". the light duty c2500 uses a spindle with the same dimensions as a 1500, thats what allows you to use the 2500 "hub" on the 1500 spindle changing the front to 6 lug

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
why are you saying the part numbers wont work? i did this 5>6lug conversion on a c1500 20 years ago. probably wasnt those exact part numbers but a few mins on rockauto should be able to find the right rotors
there isnt an "interchange" part labeled clearly tahoe 2wd 6 lug hub because there was never a 2wd 6 lug from 92-99. your tahoe uses a spindle in the front, the brake rotor houses the bearings making up the "hub". the light duty c2500 uses a spindle with the same dimensions as a 1500, thats what allows you to use the 2500 "hub" on the 1500 spindle changing the front to 6 lug
ok thanks so to make sure im understanding cause im green to this stuff... the 99 c1500 and the 99 tahoe has the same spindle dimensions

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
Are you sure? Do you have hub assemblies in the front or spindles?
not really sure just was going by what the online parts store said but i wasnt thinking it wouldnt tell me that it would fit if im trying to change or modify something ....yes im a idiot lol and but i am sure its a spindle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo