5 lug to 6 lug conversion help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
I want to do a 5 lug to 6 lug conversion on a 99 tahoe 2wd LT. What years can I swap Brake Rotor And Hub Assembly. Going to use 2in adapters for the rear unless i can find a 6 lug rear end that fits. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks....

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of confused of why you want to do this but the rear is easy to swap to 6 lug because it is just swapping axles. The front i think you just have to swap the hub assemblies and make sure they are the same number of splines. Should be plenty of junkyards to help you out with the parts.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
want to do a 5 lug to 6 lug conversion on a '99 tahoe 2wd LT.
What years can I swap Brake Rotor And Hub Assembly?
Can mrtahoe42 use the
hub assembly
caliper brackets
calipers
rotors & pads
from a 2010 GMT900
(better than the '07-'09 stuff)

Asking 'cause:
I don't know the answer myself
Now that I've upgraded the front brakes, I am no longer afraid to drive like I used to.

If you can make use of the 2010 front brake kit, you won't regret the upgrade.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt you can use the newer generation truck stuff, but IDK honestly.

I helped my brother swap a 14 bolt in his 90 C1500 RCSB many years ago. The donor truck was like a 97 C2500 6 lug. The rear axle was straightforward, just needed a conversion u joint. These generation trucks had different rear axle widths between the C- series and K-series, so you have to use the C- series axles to keep the same track width.

For the front he used the steering knuckle, rotors and brake calipers also from the donor truck. He did the front himself, so I don't know all the details, but I'm pretty sure it all bolted right up. He's running those OEM 20" Silverado Texas Edition rims. He told me he did have to use spacers due to some backspacing issues of the rims. I don't really know much of that kinda stuff.

I would imagine this swap would also work on the C- series SUVs? Maybe look into that as an option. The 3/4 ton 6 lug trucks are kinda rare these days, but you can still find them out there on wrecking yards.

Last edited:

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of confused of why you want to do this but the rear is easy to swap to 6 lug because it is just swapping axles. The front i think you just have to swap the hub assemblies and make sure they are the same number of splines. Should be plenty of junkyards to help you out with the parts.
Does he really have splines on the front of 2WD?

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
thanks for the reply and your right lol i didnt say why i wanted to do this but i recently bought a set of 6 lugs universal 24in rims and seen a video on youtube where a guy just changed out the hub assembly for the fronts and put spacers on the back but the video was for a c1500 so i was wondering what year 6 lug chevy i could use to do the conversion cause the year he used didnt match my tahoe at least thats what oriley online said lol

OP
OP
mrtahoe42

mrtahoe42

Reaction score
Can mrtahoe42 use the
hub assembly
caliper brackets
calipers
rotors & pads
from a 2010 GMT900
(better than the '07-'09 stuff)

Asking 'cause:
I don't know the answer myself
Now that I've upgraded the front brakes, I am no longer afraid to drive like I used to.

If you can make use of the 2010 front brake kit, you won't regret the upgrade.
wow sounds like alot of work lol and thanks alot for your reply

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo