6L80- Drive it till it quits, rebuild local or replace with rebuilt GM part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am by no means a transmission expert, so I'll lead with that.

When looking at it from strictly a financial aspect...my thoughts here are that despite the possible lower quality build that you'd get from a GM transmission...the fact that you would have a nationwide warranty that can be utilized at all GM dealerships that includes 100% parts AND labor, and it's even a little cheaper on the front end purchase...I would definitely go with the GM unit here. Additionally, a lot of GM dealerships offer complimentary loaners, which would be another added perk of going this route.

Lets think in terms of "what ifs".... What if the transmission you purchase (regardless of independent shop trans or dealership), fails once per year over the next 3 years. Which route would cost you more from that standpoint?

The GM route just (to me) seems like it would be the least "financially volatile" route in my opinion as everything I have been told by my local GM service manager is that the warranty that accompanies those transmissions is 100% no frills, no cost warranty with no deductibles.

Hope this helps!
Ok, I will be "That Guy"...
Tell me more about the "nation wide warranty" while I book a room and try to get a rental car for my family road trip that got interrupted by the Genuine GM Product with a nation wide warranty. Oh, the local steelership in my random breakdown town can't get parts for a month or on the lift for two more months.
Have the local shop that builds transmissions daily and knows what aftermarket parts are good to go rebuild your transmission before it grenades the case.

$0.02
YMMV

L8T BURB

Reaction score
Ok, I will be "That Guy"...
Tell me more about the "nation wide warranty" while I book a room and try to get a rental car for my family road trip that got interrupted by the Genuine GM Product with a nation wide warranty. Oh, the local steelership in my random breakdown town can't get parts for a month or on the lift for two more months.
Have the local shop that builds transmissions daily and knows what aftermarket parts are good to go rebuild your transmission before it grenades the case.

$0.02
YMMV
I'm just quoting what my local GM service manager told me. I don't have a dog in the fight one way or another. I will ask a similar question however, what would be the plan if OP had a transmission breakdown while on family vacation several states away that "expert local rebuilder" installed? What's the move there? Just because a transmission is built by a local doesn't automatically make it immune to failures....right? Does a hotel and rental car become free if "local shop" transmission fails while on vacation?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, how about another option: you rebuild it yourself? Just throwing out ideas...

I mean @NickTransmissions already has the knowledge and videos on tools, teardowns and the rebuild! I know it's a huge learning curve, but with time, patience, tools and space, I bet you can do it.

I think special tools may be around $800 and overhaul parts with upgrades another $2000-ish? Big savings.

My former coworker recently had his 6L80e rebuilt. Around $5k and like 2 months later. Shop told they had about 25 trucks on their parking lot with the same issue... shoot I may quit my engineering job and learn to fix these voodoo magic boxes! LOL

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I see both sides and still lean towards a GM trans with a nationwide warranty as @interceptor859 stated. I guess it depends on the type of tuning you do for what it may need to hold up to. If its aggressive, then maybe a built trans like @NickTransmissions said. If it's mild, I may just not worry about it and take my chances with GM for the better price and warranty.
I have a couple days to decide. Thanks for all your input, it's helping.

Yea, I plan to 'hot-rod' it with a different engine and some long tube headers. I have a 415ci short block sitting on a stand. But it's current engine is just a stock L86 with an L83 cam.

C

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Well, how about another option: you rebuild it yourself? Just throwing out ideas...

I mean @NickTransmissions already has the knowledge and videos on tools, teardowns and the rebuild! I know it's a huge learning curve, but with time, patience, tools and space, I bet you can do it.

I think special tools may be around $800 and overhaul parts with upgrades another $2000-ish? Big savings.

My former coworker recently had his 6L80e rebuilt. Around $5k and like 2 months later. Shop told they had about 25 trucks on their parking lot with the same issue... shoot I may quit my engineering job and learn to fix these voodoo magic boxes! LOL
The thought has crossed my mind more than once. When I was in the military, we rebuilt everything.

I have a 8L90 on my shelf in the garage I could take apart..

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple days to decide. Thanks for all your input, it's helping.

Yea, I plan to 'hot-rod' it with a different engine and some long tube headers. I have a 415ci short block sitting on a stand. But it's current engine is just a stock L86 with an L83 cam.

C

Well that changes things slightly on transmission recommendations. We’re 2 pages in and you just now mention the 415ci block?

If that motor is the future plan (rather that’s now or next year) and you’re replacing the transmission now. I for sure wouldn’t replace it with a GM Remanufactured unit. I’d get with a transmission builder and have one built to handle the HP/TQ you’re about to be asking it to handle and putting through it.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're planning to mod your vehicle down the road to increase power output then personally, I would worry less about warranties and more about having a transmission built for your needs, application, driving habits, and power level. You'll be eventually doing a motor swap to increase power which will require a tune to your PCM/TCM that alone will void any warranties you think might be included in the GM Remanufactured unit you're considering and potentially any other aftermarket/independent performance transmission builders. Look into that, ask the right questions, and be very clear about your future modding plan and how that may or may not affect any shops warranty they are offering.

Also, so much of how well a transmission functions in day-to-day use and longevity relies so much on the transmission tune not just the quality of the rebuild and parts used. Shift points, line pressures, and the amount of torque management used or not used plays a big role on transmission life, function, and drivability. Having your transmission tuned correctly can and will make or break how much life you get out of it! In fact, if you can I would try to find a transmission builder that also tunes transmissions and let them build it to spec to your needs and tune it based on the specific unit they've built for your application. Lastly, I would also let them spec you a torque converter that compliments the transmission build and your application needs.

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Well that changes things slightly on transmission recommendations. We’re 2 pages in and you just now mention the 415ci block?

If that motor is the future plan (rather that’s now or next year) and you’re replacing the transmission now. I for sure wouldn’t replace it with a GM Remanufactured unit. I’d get with a transmission builder and have one built to handle the HP/TQ you’re about to be asking it to handle and putting through it.
Haha.. I didn't want to explain why I have two engines for this truck, right then. Ready for the drama?

The truck(yukon) broke down 11mo ago. We had only had it 4yrs and we still had a note on it.. I had it towed to a shop when it broke down on my wife; the shop that diagnosed it is where the real damage happened.. They mis-diagnosed the issue, kept trying to start it, they fried the starter and told me it was a fuel pump issue.. (that wasn't even a diagnosis to be honest)

I get it towed home and took it apart. A connecting rod went through the engine block. Crank was bent.. Heads ruined.. nothing was usable. I was pissed but what could I do? The shop told me to pound sand. Fair enough. This isn't the 1st time I've been screwed by a shop in this area. Last time was a transmission. That solidifies my conviction. I'm doing everything I can in-house.

Instead buying a stock engine and putting it in then. I decided to build a 415 stroker because I needed everything and we had two other running vehicles. Well.. I mis-managed this build. I'm over budget by a lot and well past my deadline, which was March of this year and it's still just a short block.

I digress.. It's running as of last week with the 2nd engine.. Then the trans immediately shit the bed.. So you're up to speed now.. Hahah.. Aren't you glad you asked?

Back to the stroker engine.. I have it in my head I'm going to decide on a cam profile, get a tq converter to match, reset the tans adapt and send it. From what I understand it's the TQ converter that destroys the trans? So that's why I wasn't going extreme on the build.

C

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing man. Sorry to hear about your experience with the shop, unfortunately I’m familiar with how that type of thing happens all too often with little leg to stand on unless you’re willing to spend good money and time chasing bad money and time.

Being in your shoes I would have chose a similar path with the replacement engine; Since nothing was reusable why replace with stock when you can upgrade. I too am familiar with how slippery that slope can get and it’s far too easy to go “well if I’m doing this $ it makes sense to might as well do that $$”. Then “how have I already spent $$$ and haven’t even purchased heads yet?!?!”

Where abouts are you located?

Sounds like it’s shaping up to transform into one bada$$$$$ Yukon Denali.

:driver:

OP
OP
I

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing man. Sorry to hear about your experience with the shop, unfortunately I’m familiar with how that type of thing happens all too often with little leg to stand on unless you’re willing to spend good money and time chasing bad money and time.

Beisimilar path wng in your shoes I would have chose a ith the replacement engine; Since nothing was reusable why replace with stock when you can upgrade. I too am familiar with how slippery that slope can get and it’s far too easy to go “well if I’m doing this $ it makes sense to might as well do that $$”. Then “how have I already spent $$$ and haven’t even purchased heads yet?!?!”

Where abouts are you located?

Sounds like it’s shaping up to transform into one bada$$$$$ Yukon Denali.

:driver:
I live in Aurora, Colorado. It's beautiful here. I work out of my garage and I love the summers here. No bugs.

Yea it's a seriously slippery slope. I'm all in now. The dealership level diagnostics for this truck just showed up. I have a Techline SPS subscription, a GDS 2 subscription and the hardware gizmo. And an Alldata subscription. I might open my shop to the public to help pay for all this. lol

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19