5.3 to 6.0 Swap on my 2001 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may give you the lead. Logistically may be impossible for me to pickup. I didn't realize the block with spun bearing is in LA.

I am still thinking of taking the risk and snagging the one for $400. I misread the ad, it's in LA but he's offering to drive it part way for me, which seems a bit more than generous?

I'm looking here and a short block is like $1500. The one at junkyard for $800 would be a steal but they don't have any. Whatever I get I'd want to rebuild anyways. A new crank is $300 or so for the LQ4 according to google. My buddy who built these for GM said it should be fine but to have the mains checked by machine shop for alignment just to be on safe side in-case they dropped it or anything during removal.

Only risk is if the block is wrecked on this one for $400 (or if it's a crazy waiting to chop me into pieces lol). Not sure if I'll be able to get over there and pick it up. It's a day drive each way for me and gas expense puts me closer to the $800 motor.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would pick up one of the cheaper motors as you are planning a rebuild. The crank , rods , exhaust manifolds and acc. are the same between the 5.3 and 6.0. I just finished this swap on the weekend. I had to change my flexplate (used the one from the 5.3). I didn't get a real tune done , just had a stock 6.0 tune flashed into the computer. Didn't feel comfortable driving on the 5.3 down the highway. I used the 5.3 intake complete cause the map sensor goes on the intake was broke on the 6.0 intake.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was me I would pick up one of the cheaper motors as you are planning a rebuild. The crank , rods , exhaust manifolds and acc. are the same between the 5.3 and 6.0. I just finished this swap on the weekend. I had to change my flexplate (used the one from the 5.3). I didn't get a real tune done , just had a stock 6.0 tune flashed into the computer. Didn't feel comfortable driving on the 5.3 down the highway. I used the 5.3 intake complete cause the map sensor goes on the intake was broke on the 6.0 intake.
Hell maybe i just buy a 6.0 crankcase and heads. I didnt realize that many parts were the same.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hell maybe i just buy a 6.0 crankcase and heads. I didnt realize that many parts were the same.

Majority--if not all of the external pieces are the same between the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0. Depends on the years tho--for fuel return and such. Even the tb's are the same--dbw or dbc.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or buy some 799/243 heads for a bump up in compression over the 317 heads. Could even use your 5.3 heads not sure what the compression ratio would be though.
Would have have to remachine to 5.3 heads? Isnt it a larger piston in the 6.0?

I am find whole 6.0 / 2500 trucks for less than motors lol. The swap or parts car idea is becomong more and more attractive.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep my eyes out for one :)

In my quest for power, I think I could upgrade some other items. Curious anybody here buy shorty headers? Are they worth it? I see they're pretty inexpensive (under $200 depending).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212