5.3 Slipway while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i will explore this trail. I will watch some youtube videos to see how to replace my intake gaskets
I'd further suggest you research testing this theory so you aren't just throwing parts -- and your time!!! -- at an unknown problem. I just suggested the gaskets based off one of the answers you had already received. I *so* understand these problems that you just want GONE.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spray some starter fluid around intake gasket while engine is running. If the idle jumps all of a sudden while you are spraying starter fluid it means there is a leak at the intake manifold gasket and that leak just sucked in unmetered fuel (starter fluid) which caused the idle to jump up.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just spray some starter fluid around intake gasket while engine is running. If the idle jumps all of a sudden while you are spraying starter fluid it means there is a leak at the intake manifold gasket and that leak just sucked in unmetered fuel (starter fluid) which caused the idle to jump up.

You can use a variety of sprays: carb cleaner, etc. Propane also should work.

OP
OP
Spacido

Spacido

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First of all, I haven't tried the spray yet.

My tahoe had a very unstable engine idle and I had two codes:
P0171 mixture too lean bank 1
P0300 Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
the second code, I didn't have it before