4x4- 4 door flip questions -

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by jroman, May 28, 2019.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. jroman

jroman TYF Newbie

Name:
    jason
    hello all. picked up a 97 a week ago. 88k original mile truck been sitting a while but clean.
    came with 16s and tires that were all cracked up- found some clist wheels and good tires- 20s for 230. purchased. did front brakes. put wheels on, turned down the stock torsion bar keys a bit.

want the truck lower. looked at lowering keys but saw a bunch of issues getting them out - so not sure its worth the pItA. for 100 keys- or spend 2 and get good spindles. read djm- might be the way to go- won't push wheels out.. my cheepo craigslist purchase was good to me on one end. 5 wheels and tires with good meat for cheep. but i dont like the way the front tires stick out - rears are good and will tuck if i lower. but the fronts- not so happy right now. but know with spindles id need bigger wheels so for now- they will do.

was under the truck this weekend checking things out. i was gonna put shackles i have in the garage on but didn't want the rear lower than the front.

so the question now- can i use 98 silverado flip kit instead of paying more for a 4x4 kit?
    also- while under the truck, looks like getting the leaf spring off the side with the Gas Tank, might be hard.
    dont look like theres a way to get the bolt out..
    ill be flipping on the floor in my garage. how do you guys do it????
    do i need to find the size of stock bolts and nuts and buy 6 new ones for each side and cut out the old?

appreciate any help - direction- pics that you guys can send my way.

j from jersey

2. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    low miles but its still a 97 might be a pain in general to get those bolts out. whenever possible i dont mess around with suspension bolts and buy replacements ahead of time. bolts are cheap compared to finding out after you need them anyway or just the frustration of getting a bolt out.

3. jroman

jroman TYF Newbie

Name:
    jason

this sounds like a good idea. i was going to put shackles on the other day and it seemed the 2 on driver side rear, came off easy enough. but i know the one by the gas tank will be a pain.- any chance you know the size or where i can get that info-
    just so i can grab extras in the event i need to cut it out when the time comes

4. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    Screenshot_20190529-084552_Samsung Internet.jpg

5. jroman

jroman TYF Newbie

Name:
    jason
    awesome. thanks

6. jroman

jroman TYF Newbie

Name:
    jason
    3dsjRyjJTu6R%g81YQbIGQ.jpg y4EksR0KShiLjJ8YTW7h+w.jpg 2uZtvhsBT16BNzaqNmEPrg.jpg Z5XaB7d9Q5mCdDVAQgS04Q.jpg [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. hagar

hagar Member

Name:
    lewis
    I used a 98 Silverado flip on my 99 Tahoe because it was half price and works the same. If you get a notch it's totally different, but the flip hardware worked perfectly for me. It's a 4x4 as well so it should work the same for you.

20190531_214306.jpg