4x4- 4 door flip questions -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats just the track width of the truck... GM trucks have been like that for years.... fronts always stick out further than rears. Cant help you on the drop.... i have no clue

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also didn’t notice the wheel was turned a little. You can get staggered wheels in any size. spindles up front are the way to go. Maybe @iamdub or @PNW VietVet might have some insight about the rear.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely cut the bolt. On the assembly line at the factory, the leaf springs are put on the frame before the fuel tank is installed, that's how that bolt issue happens. Remove the nut and push the bolt in until it almost hits the tank but leave enough of the threaded part to grab and pull back through. Cut the shank just under the head, then pull the bolt out. Install the new bolt from the outside-in.

Trucks commonly have a wider front track to help with stability when turning at speed. But the difference in your front looks excessive. It could just be the pics and the wheels being turned a little. Them wheels definitely have less offset than the other ones or stock wheels, making them stick out more. Wait until you get the right wheels before lowering it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have done a lot of suspension work over the years. Mostly stock work in shops but did belong to a 4x4 club at one time and dealt with lifted suspensions all the time on different rigs. If you are asking for help about the leaf spring bolts, cut the damn things out and install new. We always did. On a rig of that age the bolts are due for replacement anyways. We always put new bushings in and to get them out we used the torch to melt the rubber out and drive the sleeves out with an air hammer. It was quick and effective. IMO, lifting and lowering suspensions always caused the stock suspension and steering components to wear quicker. I like the stock height look and adjust the look with wheels and tires. Always go bigger and better with brakes. I am very old school and may not shed much light on this question of the OP.

Yes the front track width is wider on the GM's. Maybe others but have never owned or cared. I doubt the new wheels are offset on 2 of them at the front and narrower at the rear. The wheel offset is the same and the front width is wider. If you don't like that, spacers at the rear or a different offset at the front can change the "look" for you. I had a new 2 door 96 Tahoe when I moved to Oregon from KC, Mo. over 24 years ago. Wish I still had it and do look every day for another but so many times they are in too bad of shape for me.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
thanks for replies
didn't think wheels were staggered. again. didn't ask or check. not a fan of the front poke. id like wheels even or under fenders.
think i may lower the pig. 43- lowered everything ive ever owned
just did my kids car. now kinda have an itch. wanna keep the truck- love squares. imma c 10 guy. lowered my old suburban a little.
think i need to find the right kit or put one tougher and then find stock wheels or something. not sure i can drop the truck with these. was a cheep buy quick.
need the right offset- or whatever it takes to keep wheels in the wells and be able to go lower.

flip kit.
do i need
c notch.
do i need.

anyone have a dyi on doing this.

would love a 6/7 or something close. what i didi to all the c 10s and abs ive had.

4x4- first one for me- ive seen they can get low. need to know if im ok to do this to mine and keep 4x or do i lose it?
read somewhere- you trade one for the other.

thanks again for replies

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search for lowering your rig there’s bound to be several write ups. The guys that chimed in know their stuff but you can reach out to Tony @NORCAL SS. Unsure about that low and 4WD on your rig.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
thought i saw 4x lowered. guess ill keep looking.
thought spindles, shackles might be enough prob only be a 2-2 or 2-3 drop. but dont think ill be able to drive with the wheels i have now.
want to buy a kit. but if it won't work- guess ill wait.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
i have been searching but find not actual diy or good write ups on a 4x4.
maybe i will order spindles- put the shackles on and see how it looks and rides. then debate on flipping or not.
love the look of these trucks lowered. will def need to find the right offset needed tho. dont want to lower it and have issues with these wheels sticking out.
thanks folks

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with spindles. I believe you can use keys to go a little lower if you’d like. Contact Tony or call vendors like Belltech or McGaughys before you do anything and give them your tire size and what you want. They’ll have kits.

OP
OP
J

jroman

Reaction score
thanks for reply. ill look into spindles.

are there any lowered 4x4 on this site? is there a thread i can look at or ask people for opinions?
not sure if im missing it. there has to be a few guys out here that like a lowered truck. 4x4 or not

thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505