4WD Diff vs. AWD Diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello guys long time reader but first time caller.
I had a question for you guys and see if any-one can help me out here.
I have a 13 Yukon Denali XL AWD and on the last oil change I noticed the front Differential was leaking fluid from what I assume is the pinion seal.
I also have a 02 Tahoe 4wd that we have owned since new now with 292K miles and was planning on using as a project car, This truck has a recently reconstructed front Diff.

Since I use my Yukon for my side job (lyft). Could it be viable to swap front diffs assuming the gears are the same, considering what makes them different (4wd vs AWD) would be the transfer case and actuator modules.

So is it possible to swap front diffs and have no problems?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello guys long time reader but first time caller.
I had a question for you guys and see if any-one can help me out here.
I have a 13 Yukon Denali XL AWD and on the last oil change I noticed the front Differential was leaking fluid from what I assume is the pinion seal.
I also have a 02 Tahoe 4wd that we have owned since new now with 292K miles and was planning on using as a project car, This truck has a recently reconstructed front Diff.

Since I use my Yukon for my side job (lyft). Could it be viable to swap front diffs assuming the gears are the same, considering what makes them different (4wd vs AWD) would be the transfer case and actuator modules.

So is it possible to swap front diffs and have no problems?

I do not think the front differential for your Denali is close to being the same as the one for your Tahoe, regardless of gear ratio. Your Tahoe has an actuator that engages and disengages the differential. Your Denali is always engaged and has no actuator. I also do not know if the mounting would even be the same between your Tahoe and your Yukon. I would also question whether the output shafts would mate up to the CV shafts properly as I believe they are different lengths, but could be wrong about that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, the difference between the AWD and 4x4 differential is in the tube with the actuators. The front track between the two platforms is different, the GMT800 being about two inches more narrow if I remember right.

So having said that, you MIGHT be able to use the Tahoe's "chunk" and put your Denali parts on either end but this question should be asked to folks who know more than I.

OP
OP
Fernando Escobar
Reaction score
AFAIK, the difference between the AWD and 4x4 differential is in the tube with the actuators. The front track between the two platforms is different, the GMT800 being about two inches more narrow if I remember right.

So having said that, you MIGHT be able to use the Tahoe's "chunk" and put your Denali parts on either end but this question should be asked to folks who know more than I.

Thank you for the input the housings are identical but have not measured them and the c.v shafts are the same star pattern where they bolt up to the diff. So i was just wondering. after all so much of the internals are basically carry-overs. Guess I will be sending my mechanic some work. I was hoping I could just switch and slowly wrench it out my self. after rebuilding that 300K old 5.3 my self this seems like child's play now. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the input the housings are identical but have not measured them and the c.v shafts are the same star pattern where they bolt up to the diff. So i was just wondering. after all so much of the internals are basically carry-overs. Guess I will be sending my mechanic some work. I was hoping I could just switch and slowly wrench it out my self. after rebuilding that 300K old 5.3 my self this seems like child's play now. :)

You might be able to, if the ends are compatible, all you do is swap the center section without removing the ends from the truck, well one end I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004

Latest posts