4157 in 3157 socket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to use a non LED 4157 in a 3157 socket? I need 3157 in amber but can only find the clear 3157 bulbs locally I found some 4157 amber bulbs on the package it says you can use them in a 3157 socket, just making sure it would cause any issues if it will I found the bulbs on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4157 is the same bulb other than it uses Krypton as it's inert gas on the inside. This is supposed to extend the life of the bulb. Used as a DRL or running light or any light that is on for extended periods of time, you'd wanna opt for the 4157. Sometimes it will have a "K" at the end of the part number. An "A" would be found if the bulb was amber.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4157 is the same bulb other than it uses Krypton as it's inert gas on the inside. This is supposed to extend the life of the bulb. Used as a DRL or running light or any light that is on for extended periods of time, you'd wanna opt for the 4157. Sometimes it will have a "K" at the end of the part number. An "A" would be found if the bulb was amber.

Thanks ya it's the front turn signal/running light so I guess it's ok then, wasn't sure cause people in the auto parts stores aren't the sharpest

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4157 is actually more ideal for that use. Maybe they're phasing out the 3157? I know what you mean about the people at the parts stores. You don't need to be a car person at all to work there. Just be trainable on how to enter info and look for a number. I have the best luck at the O'reilly's around me. There's always at least one person there that knows what's up and they tend to chime in when they overhear a lesser-experienced coworker fumbling over a customer's request. Napa's almost always a sure shot for competence, but their prices are as high as giraffe *****. I go there when I need an oddball part and need it ASAP.

OP
OP
95escahoe

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4157 is actually more ideal for that use. Maybe they're phasing out the 3157? I know what you mean about the people at the parts stores. You don't need to be a car person at all to work there. Just be trainable on how to enter info and look for a number. I have the best luck at the O'reilly's around me. There's always at least one person there that knows what's up and they tend to chime in when they overhear a lesser-experienced coworker fumbling over a customer's request. Napa's almost always a sure shot for competence, but their prices are as high as giraffe *****. I go there when I need an oddball part and need it ASAP.

Idk maybe because the only spots they had were the clear 3157 I read all the labels to make sure the ones on Amazon were 3157/4157 these were just 4157 with some small lettering listing the only types you can use it with, ya Napa is pretty good I usually get my parts off Amazon and just get oil or bulbs etc. locally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645