Tail light harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
One of the many things I love about the Yukon is that there are so many that GM can make/sell high demand parts for a very reasonable cost. $30 shipped for a brand new GM tail light harness from Amazon no less.

However, on the flip side, the harness I was replacing because of broken pin on the backup bulb is dated about 2015, so this was clearly not the original on my 2011 which must have lasted only a few years. And the brake bulb socket is pretty charred. The LED bulbs I have in there now do not get as hot, but still, it seems like the plastic used was not a good choice.

And to add insult to injury, both harness connectors on the bottom side were full of water. I generally have had good experience with weatherpak connectors.

IMG_2560.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if there’s a frayed wire somewhere upstream causing the excess heat?

OP
OP
M

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Wonder if there’s a frayed wire somewhere upstream causing the excess heat?
Frayed wire or any loose connection can definitely cause excess heat. However the heat is colocated at the point of resistance.

For a simple filament bulb with a consistent resistive load, a frayed wire upstream would reduce the voltage across the bulb and therefore the bulb temperature.

It is possible that the bulb was incorrect (higher output) for this application. I didn't check the bulb, because I was upgrading the brake and backup bulbs to LED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan