Front sway bar flapping around in the wind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my sway bar is flapping around in the wind I hear a clunking noise going over bumps ....

I touched it with a socket wrench and it moves around freely :oops::oops::oops::oops:

is this normal

still derivable but just going over some bumps can cause mild instability...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not normal Brent. The bushings shrink with age and ought to be replaced, both the end links and the ones that bolt to the frame. Don't forget the rears too!
it actually started after that person hit me

it only has worsen to the point of moving around freely that it is currently at... most likely the other bolt broke off

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know what the sway and its connecting points look like when operating correctly, then get under the truck and check it out in detail. It is a fairly simple assembly with only 4 points of connection. If you don't, then google and YouTube it, so that you understand what you should be looking at. There should be no flapping around, and if fact, if it is properly connected, you'd be very hard pressed to move the sway bar at all.

If there is something wrong, it is easy to fix, if you can perform a little wrenching.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BG1988 Shouldn't be loose. There are 2 C mounts that hold it to the frame under the front doors and then there are links that hold it to the front bottom control arms, so a total of 4 mounting points.

Identify what parts have failed and remediate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019