4.56 Gears Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled the trigger and had the Tahoe regeared to 4.56's from the stock 3.73. The process took about 6-7 hours but it seemed like forever just being away from my Hoe. I have driven it less than 100 miles but I noticed the difference as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot. As soon as I pressed the gas the tahoe seem to "jump" lol. It feels very light and super responsive.

I had it done in Tempe, AZ at Desert Rat Off Road same place that did my lift.

Once I'm done with the break in period (500 miles) I'll update everyone. But so far I highly recommend, the guys on the fence, to do it.

2007tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.56. Impressive.

MPG going down though.
Prob not as bad as you think with those massive tires. Now it has a lot less strain on the drive train. Besides if you were worried about mpg, you wouldn't be running 35's.

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 4.56 is a great choice. I also regeared mine to a 4.56 and from the stock 3.08, the difference is huge. My fuel economy actually went up when going from stock to 4.56, I now get nearly 20mpg on long highway drives, and an easy mid 16 around town.

OP
OP
fco_gonzo

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score

Thank You!

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Prob not as bad as you think with those massive tires. Now it has a lot less strain on the drive train. Besides if you were worried about mpg, you wouldn't be running 35's.

Everthing I have read states otherwise (going up not down), beside I'm not looking to get 25 mpg if I hit 15 mpg I'll be happy. I'm currently (before the gears) getting 11-12 mpg.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

The 4.56 is a great choice. I also regeared mine to a 4.56 and from the stock 3.08, the difference is huge. My fuel economy actually went up when going from stock to 4.56, I now get nearly 20mpg on long highway drives, and an easy mid 16 around town.

I read that in one of your other post, I'll be stoked if I get 20 mpg!!!

I'm getting my speedometer recalibrated in a couple hours, I'm currenlty off by 15 mph, so I'll be able to get real number in a bit.

Last edited:

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure you will be able to hit 20mpg with a 4speed trans. Mine has the 6 speed, so the top gear is well suited for highway driving. Be sure to reset your MPG monitor on the dash (if yours has it), itll take a tank or two for the computer to catch up. At least mine did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401