3M Matte Black or Matte Silver Full Body Vinyl Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity ... what, if any, would be the long term affect on the paint below?

I remember reading that the wraps can be removed after 3-4 years without any damage to factory paint. It has become popular on exotics like ferraris and lambos, so i would think it doesnt damage the paint

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats of course until a little rip or tear starts...

OP
OP
S

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats of course until a little rip or tear starts...

The 3M vinyl wrap is supposed to hold up well against scratches and rocks chips. Atleast from what I have read, I have no experience with it yet. However, if a tear does start, since each body panel is wrapped individually, the damaged panel could be peeled off and a new piece applied!

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean it looks great and I'm sure its a great alternative to paint but you still have to take care of it just as much as you would paint. They actually can be waxed just like paint. Just scares me cause like if it doesnt stick in an area they inject superglue behind it with a hypodermic needle. Not exactly what I'd want on my paint IMO.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean it looks great and I'm sure its a great alternative to paint but you still have to take care of it just as much as you would paint. They actually can be waxed just like paint. Just scares me cause like if it doesnt stick in an area they inject superglue behind it with a hypodermic needle. Not exactly what I'd want on my paint IMO.

I have never heard of the superglue thing in my life... Regardless, if it doesn't stick, it's because they did poor prep work.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If u leave a profesional to do it they will charge u an outrageous price. they quoted me its $530 just for the roof of my kon. The vinyl wrap was just $95. so thats $435 in just labor.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If u leave a profesional to do it they will charge u an outrageous price. they quoted me its $530 just for the roof of my kon. The vinyl wrap was just $95. so thats $435 in just labor.

Yup yup, unfortunately that's going to be a major stumbling block for anyone not qualified to undertake this themselves. If a flat roof is over $500, imagine what it would cost to get the whole car done with all the trim details like handles and the like.You're gonna be in the $3k region wrap/labor, which is what AbsolutMotorcars pays for their matte black paint job.

Ben

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive seen a wrap put on in person they use super glue sometimes in areas that are concave or curve into the car. I doubt it would be an issue on a tahoe but ive seen it used on a hummer. The vinyl is pulled too tight to stick in those areas some times.

BabyHuey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been getting quoted around 3500 for wrap on my denali in my area. Seems kind of bizarre to me how expensive it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65