3" catback exhaust upgrade. Surface treatment questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update:

I had my truck up on a lift to be Fluid Film undercoated (mmmm.... sheep skin oil) and was curious to see how the primer & paint was holding up.

It seems to be doing well so far: no hot spots, bubbles, or rusty discolorations yet.

eZZxiRh.jpg

The 3" Kooks turndown I added to the tailpipe (the included tip looked gross, IMO) seems to have helped redirect the sound enough to lower the noise levels inside the cab slightly, which is nice.

5m9ehM1.jpg
W8wGWYl.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small update:

I had my truck up on a lift to be Fluid Film undercoated (mmmm.... sheep skin oil) and was curious to see how the primer & paint was holding up.

It seems to be doing well so far: no hot spots, bubbles, or rusty discolorations yet.

View attachment 385022

The 3" Kooks turndown I added to the tailpipe (the included tip looked gross, IMO) seems to have helped redirect the sound enough to lower the noise levels inside the cab slightly, which is nice.

View attachment 385023
View attachment 385024

How you liking the new flaps so far?

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you liking the new flaps so far?
They seem to be holding up well, and are doing all the things mudflaps do.

My only issue (self-inflicted) is I need to do some more trimming on the inside of the front guards. The still rub at right before full-lock.

I wish there was a version for the leading edge of the wheel well, to prevent all the spray thrown forward by the rear tires.

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point.
I found the AP muffler you linked for $cheaper on Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-xs2579

I'm going to install the system as it is, and am priming/painting it now. My gf said she won't care if it's loud.

The JBA catback i had on my Armada was great quality, but pretty loud. This didn't bother me, but the drone at cruising speed was super annoying.
I had ap xcelerator turbo mufflers on my subaru forester.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had ap xcelerator turbo mufflers on my subaru forester.

Now that I've had my catback on for a while the tone has mellowed a tiny bit, and it's been pretty good. The 30 layers of high-temp primer and paint have mostly held up, but I assume it'll get wrecked by all the salt & brine they layer on the roads.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be about stock volume at idle but with a stronger rumble and with a louder bark at hard throttle: https://www.amazon.com/AP-Exhaust-Products-XS2579-Muffler/dp/B004A5OBVA

I actually just ordered this. It arrived yesterday, and some quick tape measuring has it at 28" OAL, so I'll have to cut 2" (1" on each side maybe) off of the existing pipes so this longer (26" OAL current muffler) one will fit.

I didn't mind the noise at all, but the rear seat occupants said it was droning enough that I'd rather quiet it down that make the kids lives unpleasant.

It's a still a straight-through muffler, so it should bark fine at WOT.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just ordered this. It arrived yesterday, and some quick tape measuring has it at 28" OAL, so I'll have to cut 2" (1" on each side maybe) off of the existing pipes so this longer (26" OAL current muffler) one will fit.

Nice! Better than having to add pipe.

I didn't mind the noise at all, but the rear seat occupants said it was droning enough that I'd rather quiet it down that make the kids lives unpleasant.

I never had any complaints with mine, even on 14+ hour road trips, back when I had the 18" body on mine. That 2579 has a 22" body, so it's like the Magnaflow version known to be "like stock, but with extra".

It's a still a straight-through muffler, so it should bark fine at WOT.

I think so. And it'll get slightly more aggressive aver time.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had any complaints with mine, even on 14+ hour road trips, back when I had the 18" body on mine. That 2579 has a 22" body, so it's like the Magnaflow version known to be "like stock, but with extra".
I rode in the back while the my GF drove around, up hills, fast, and all that, and it actually drones pretty bad. The resonance cancels out certain frequencies when you talk. I feel bad that the kids were back there getting their central nervous system rearranged.

It weird how in the driver's seat it very minor, but just 3 feet back it's like being in a completely different vehicle. I wonder what sitting in the 3rd row would be like if I had a 3rd row seat.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rode in the back while the my GF drove around, up hills, fast, and all that, and it actually drones pretty bad. The resonance cancels out certain frequencies when you talk. I feel bad that the kids were back there getting their central nervous system rearranged.

If the new muffler drones, and I doubt it would as I never had a problem with mine, you could add a 1/4 wave resonator ("Helmholtz chamber") to kill the drone and be done with it.

It weird how in the driver's seat it very minor, but just 3 feet back it's like being in a completely different vehicle. I wonder what sitting in the 3rd row would be like if I had a 3rd row seat.

Acoustics are a fascinating science! I learned Sunday night just how much location can affect sound perception. That 10" sub on 500+ watts would be working it's ass off but wasn't any louder than the Bose sub inside the center console. Moved it to the cargo hold and it now it slams the front seat area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2