3" catback exhaust upgrade. Surface treatment questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe something like this in place of the exhaust tip. But, have it tucked up under the bumper cover enough to look similar to the stock resonator turn-down?

3" Muffler

View attachment 382925

I don't see that making a whole lot of difference. It might clean up a slight bit of rasp at high RPM as heard from outside the vehicle. But, not $65+ worth of difference. You can get a whole other muffler for $65 and not need special after-muffler additions.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see that making a whole lot of difference. It might clean up a slight bit of rasp at high RPM as heard from outside the vehicle. But, not $65+ worth of difference. You can get a whole other muffler for $65 and not need special after-muffler additions.
Good point.
I found the AP muffler you linked for $cheaper on Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-xs2579

I'm going to install the system as it is, and am priming/painting it now. My gf said she won't care if it's loud.

The JBA catback i had on my Armada was great quality, but pretty loud. This didn't bother me, but the drone at cruising speed was super annoying.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point.
I found the AP muffler you linked for $cheaper on Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-xs2579

I'm going to install the system as it is, and am priming/painting it now. My gf said she won't care if it's loud.

The JBA catback i had on my Armada was great quality, but pretty loud. This didn't bother me, but the drone at cruising speed was super annoying.

I saw it cheaper there, but their shipping charges make it higher than Amazon unless you don't have Prime.

Definitely give it a shot! You have nothing to lose. You might like it. At least your gf is cool with it!

If you like the volume and sound and only have a problem with it at a certain RPM (drone when cruising), you can attack just that frequency with a cheap piece of pipe and some math. You'll kill the drone but not muffle everything else, which negates the point of getting a louder aftermarket system.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if I could cut the JBA muffler out from under my Armada, and use that???

Highly likely. Physical fitment is the only real hurdle and that's easy to overcome with offsets or even just welding a straight piece of pipe at an angle if needed.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the volume and sound and only have a problem with it at a certain RPM (drone when cruising), you can attack just that frequency with a cheap piece of pipe and some math. You'll kill the drone but not muffle everything else, which negates the point of getting a louder aftermarket system.

Can you explain the "piece of pipe" used to cancel the drone wavelength?

It's all on the truck now, and I'm going through the paint curing heat cycles.

Idle 10 mins, cool 10 mins.

Idle 20 mins, cool 20 mins.

Drive 30 mins, let cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat