3" catback exhaust upgrade. Surface treatment questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3" catback consisting of T409 pipes & muffler. I also live in NH, where they dump salt & spray/pre-treat the roads with brine. It kills cars new and old.

I assume that the exhaust will last at least 5 years, which is probably as long as I'd reasonably expect this Yukon to last me anyways.

But, I'd like to try something similar to what I read about in THIS FORD FORUM POST where they applied a high-temp rust-preventative primer & and high-temp paint prior to installation.

Once this thing gets here I'll realize that I probably need to find a more quiet muffler to swap to, but that's a future problem.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
409 has less nickel and chromium than 304 so it will rust.
I think it's a great idea to use high temp primer or paint on it. Will definitely make it last.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fellow NH member. Nice. @Fubar0715 is also in NH.

I have a Gibson Extreme cat back stainless steel exhaust system for 3+ years now, and there is only minor surface oxidation on the system at this time. Besides, my Gibson exhaust system is warranted for life, so I have no concerns.

You can certainly try to put a high temperature coating on it, but if you do, make sure that you surface treat the system to remove all manufacturing oil residue before applying the coating.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fellow NH member. Nice. @Fubar0715 is also in NH.

I have a Gibson Extreme cat back stainless steel exhaust system for 3+ years now, and there is only minor surface oxidation on the system at this time. Besides, my Gibson exhaust system is warranted for life, so I have no concerns.

You can certainly try to put a high temperature coating on it, but if you do, make sure that you surface treat the system to remove all manufacturing oil residue before applying the coating.

Yeah, I was going to refer to the good info in the post I linked. Seems straight forward enough.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FedUPS just dropped it off, and initial thoughts....

Packed reasonably well with no rattles.
G5PjCnB.jpg

Initial mock-up to see if the pipes would fit together easily... and they do slide together with minimal effort.
p4yktDz.jpg

Catalytic coverter joint. Seller confirmed it will mate to the 2.75" factory joint.
XNih61s.jpg

Weld inside.... looks like a robot did it.
BE5cGQM.jpg

Muffler: 21" body, 26" overall, 6" diameter. I think it's going to be loud.
ud9uYlM.jpg

Yeah....
jY8kB0U.jpg

Robot welds...
xX55c39.jpg

The crush clamps that came with it. I bought some wide 3" band clamps to use instead.
S85t0UP.jpg

Overall, I'm not horrified with it, for supposedly being T409 for a 3" exhaust, $300 shipped. I put some calipers on the tubing, and it's actually 2.875" tubing expanded to 3" at the ID of the muffler/tube joints. I'm not an exhaust pro, so I don't know if that's correct for a supposed 3" system, but I hope the 3" band clamps can tighten down enough.

I'm going to try to run out to the AutoZone near me and get some high-temp primer and black paint. Chome is icky...
Hopefully this weekend I can get it painted and installed. I am a bit worried it's going to be loud and drone without a resonator near the tip. I'm already looking for replacement mufflers that have the same overall dimensions.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about the chrome - personal preference. @Joseph Garcia Joe has dual exhaust living behind the 6.2L in his Denali but I considered going that way too but plan to go the route of a black stainless tailpipe that I saw on @RichardCranium Darren's PPV. Good luck with getting it all fitted together and look forward to your thoughts on the system.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

View attachment 382843

Initial mock-up to see if the pipes would fit together easily... and they do slide together with minimal effort.
View attachment 382844

Catalytic coverter joint. Seller confirmed it will mate to the 2.75" factory joint.
View attachment 382845

View attachment 382846

View attachment 382847

Yeah....
View attachment 382848

Robot welds...
View attachment 382849

The crush clamps that came with it. I bought some wide 3" band clamps to use instead.
View attachment 382850

Overall, I'm not horrified with it, for supposedly being T409 for a 3" exhaust, $300 shipped. I put some calipers on the tubing, and it's actually 2.875" tubing expanded to 3" at the ID of the muffler/tube joints. I'm not an exhaust pro, so I don't know if that's correct for a supposed 3" system, but I hope the 3" band clamps can tighten down enough.

I'm going to try to run out to the AutoZone near me and get some high-temp primer and black paint. Chome is icky...
Hopefully this weekend I can get it painted and installed. I am a bit worried it's going to be loud and drone without a resonator near the tip. I'm already looking for replacement mufflers that have the same overall dimensions.

If I didn't know better I'd think that @Dantheman1540 made those welds. ;)

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the price of stainless these days, that's a smoking good deal.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 382843

View attachment 382844

View attachment 382845

View attachment 382846

View attachment 382847

Yeah....
View attachment 382848

Robot welds...
View attachment 382849

View attachment 382850

That definitely will be loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094