24x14 Offroad Wheels On An AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't bore you guys with every little update until I make some real progress in the rim barrel powder coating, the tire fitment on the rims, or the body modifications. So with that said, the only current update I have is that the tire rubber is very rigid on these Atturo's because of the design of the lugs on the sidewalls, which means room to stretch outwards to fill in that 2" gap between the tire and rim is non-existent. That translates to me having to swap out the tires for a size up. So I'll need a 14.50" wide instead of the 13.50 I have now... Don't worry guys, I'll make it happen one way or another.

Attachments

• Mounted 6.jpg
    Mounted 6.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't bore you guys with every little update until I make some real progress in the rim barrel powder coating, the tire fitment on the rims, or the body modifications. So with that said, the only current update I have is that the tire rubber is very rigid on these Atturo's because of the design of the lugs on the sidewalls, which means room to stretch outwards to fill in that 2" gap between the tire and rim is non-existent. That translates to me having to swap out the tires for a size up. So I'll need a 14.50" wide instead of the 13.50 I have now... Don't worry guys, I'll make it happen one way or another.
It's your thread so keep the updates coming!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea running wheels that are wider than the tire itself has always been a very poor idea IMO.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran stretched tires on a couple cars in the past and the bummer is you make one mistake and your rims are effed and look like pooh. Curbs get ya when you least expect it

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran stretched tires on a couple cars in the past and the bummer is you make one mistake and your rims are effed and look like pooh. Curbs get ya when you least expect it
The stretched look has some appeal visually, but at the risk of damaging the rim at high speeds or through narrow drive-thru's, it's not worth it... And these rims are very expensive. On the flip side, I don't mind the "square" look, when the tire is flush with the rim. I just hate when the tire exceeds the width of the rim. That's a look I will never get on board with, because the same can happen with the tire on the rim. Which is the sole reason why beadlock rims were created. I would have purchased some, except they're not offered in a 24" or higher diameter.

Last edited:

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no different than any other person's preference. Some like large profile tires with 17's, and others like low profile tires with 24's & 26's. Doesn't matter which setup up you use... the wheel still serves the same purpose.
Agreed on personal preference, but the set up DOES dictate purpose. And not all purposes are the same. For example, I run 18” wheels with large sidewall on my Tremor to give a better ride / traction off road. Air down for sand..etc. Wider stance on the sports car for track days. 22” on my Yukon with stiff sidewalls for better handling. BTW, love your wheel design. Good luck with the build.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on personal preference, but the set up DOES dictate purpose. And not all purposes are the same. For example, I run 18” wheels with large sidewall on my Tremor to give a better ride / traction off road. Air down for sand..etc. Wider stance on the sports car for track days. 22” on my Yukon with stiff sidewalls for better handling. BTW, love your wheel design. Good luck with the build.
I found a solution to the problem I was having with my tires, so I'll be back on track with my build once this powder coater gets back to me on taking the job.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea running wheels that are wider than the tire itself has always been a very poor idea IMO.
Unfortunately, the tires that came with the wheel package are way too expensive to return to the east coast, so that's a non-starter. And if I put them on ebay or Craigslist, I'll get 3 weeks of random calls from people trying to lowball me on the price and have me flip the bill for shipping. So the best option for me right now is to use them up and move on to a different size and brand when the tread wears down. I'm thinking an A/T tire would be best next time around.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No real updates this week. Just took some size comparison pictures of the new versus stock. I also color matched some inserts on the wheels.

Attachments

• 4Play Size 4.jpg
    4Play Size 4.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 4Play Size 8.jpg
    4Play Size 8.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 4Play Size 9.jpg
    4Play Size 9.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 4Play Size 10.jpg
    4Play Size 10.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4Play Size 7.jpg
    4Play Size 7.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dropping the wheels off later this week for the barrels to be powder coated. I'm most likely going with a high gloss flat black, to match the window and door trim. Bronze barrels crossed my mind along with matching tow hooks as well, but these wheels already draw a lot of attention as it is. I'm keeping this wheel as is, as a spare and tester when I have the body modified.

Attachments

• 4Play Size 5.jpg
    4Play Size 5.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 4Play Size 1.jpg
    4Play Size 1.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 4Play Size 2.jpg
    4Play Size 2.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads