240k miles. To build or not to build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Considering building my Tahoe with 240k miles.

Physically, she needs a solid detail and a head liner. Mechanically she sounds solid, minus a questionable battery. Suspension is starting to become a little squishy. Needs front brakes.

Water pump, belt, thermostat, rear brakes done within last 5k miles.

So here’s my thought process.

Detail the crap out of it.
Fix the headliner.
Lower it and fix squishiness.
Rims and Tires.

Then stock pile cash and when the motor goes order a LS3 or find something wrecked with a nice performance power plant, and add on some fun stuff. Or rebuild current motor.

Not looking to go full race/show truck but a solid sleeper.

Rough estimates with a new crate LS3 and other stuff is in the $15-20 range. So I guess I need to see if I can find something comparable in that price range or move forward with the build.

What are your thoughts?

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was all reasonable, easy to do, simple, practical, and a good idea, until you said LS3. Why do you want to spend 3x the cost for aluminum block to go in this beast anyways? you could put in a rebuilt engine (to your specs) with FI for much less than that. If I really wanted that much power its 5.3 turbos, or 6.0 supercharged.

Personally, I would:
Fix the headliner, (and "upgrade" the material since now is the time to do it).
Redo the suspension, ( and drop it or raise it, heck add coilovers or a kit, since now is the time to do it).
GMT900 Front brake upgrade (since now is the time to do it).
If your tires need replacing, then start looking for a takeoff or other set on craigslist ( " )
Start looking for a 6.0 or 5.3 and rebuild it to your goals ( " )

OP
OP
cntryislandboy
Reaction score
This was all reasonable, easy to do, simple, practical, and a good idea, until you said LS3. Why do you want to spend 3x the cost for aluminum block to go in this beast anyways? you could put in a rebuilt engine (to your specs) with FI for much less than that. If I really wanted that much power its 5.3 turbos, or 6.0 supercharged.

Personally, I would:
Fix the headliner, (and "upgrade" the material since now is the time to do it).
Redo the suspension, ( and drop it or raise it, heck add coilovers or a kit, since now is the time to do it).
GMT900 Front brake upgrade (since now is the time to do it).
If your tires need replacing, then start looking for a takeoff or other set on craigslist ( " )
Start looking for a 6.0 or 5.3 and rebuild it to your goals ( " )

I probably should have added I'm not the smartest car guy, but I'm learning more every day, especially since hanging out here.

I think the main reason I want that much power is the fact that my wife has a 2012 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and that thing is fun to drive, but she won't let me build it up yet.

I've seen a few of these 5.3 turbos, or 6.0 supercharged in Silverados' and Sierras' so this might be a better option, I didn't realize how much cheaper they would be. My father-in-law has the 6.0 in his work truck and says it's a beast.

Those are pretty much my same thoughts on the headliner, brakes and suspension, it's time for replacement so instead of factory replacement just upgrade.

Unfortunately the tires were replaced when I bought it and there is plenty of tread left. However i was thinking of keeping those for winter driving possibly and getting a semi performance tire. I had even thought of a staggered look, but not sure how that would look or if it would even be worth it.

I don't know much about the GMT900 upgrade I'l have to look into that. Currently I was considering the Powerstop Z36 package. The GMT900 brakes, is that a direct bolt on ? I'm guessing I can use the pads, rotors, and calibers?

Thanks for the input and giving me a few things to consider, sounds like I might be able to save some cash, and still get close to where I want to be.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I probably should have added I'm not the smartest car guy, but I'm learning more every day, especially since hanging out here.

I think the main reason I want that much power is the fact that my wife has a 2012 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and that thing is fun to drive, but she won't let me build it up yet.

I've seen a few of these 5.3 turbos, or 6.0 supercharged in Silverados' and Sierras' so this might be a better option, I didn't realize how much cheaper they would be. My father-in-law has the 6.0 in his work truck and says it's a beast.

Those are pretty much my same thoughts on the headliner, brakes and suspension, it's time for replacement so instead of factory replacement just upgrade.

Unfortunately the tires were replaced when I bought it and there is plenty of tread left. However i was thinking of keeping those for winter driving possibly and getting a semi performance tire. I had even thought of a staggered look, but not sure how that would look or if it would even be worth it.

I don't know much about the GMT900 upgrade I'l have to look into that. Currently I was considering the Powerstop Z36 package. The GMT900 brakes, is that a direct bolt on ? I'm guessing I can use the pads, rotors, and calibers?

Thanks for the input and giving me a few things to consider, sounds like I might be able to save some cash, and still get close to where I want to be.

Wholeheartedly agree with @adriver on the 6.0 swap. You can make a lot of juice with that for a lot less money.

Yes, the Gmt900 brakes (for the front) are the way to go. You need the calipers AND brackets, rotors, and pads. You need to be running at least a 17" wheel to clear them.

A lot of guys also go to SS lines instead of the rubber hoses when doing the swap. They will help a lot with forming up the pedal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering building my Tahoe with 240k miles.

...order a LS3 or find something wrecked ...Or rebuild current motor.

LS3 is car motor. Go with a truck motor and to keep costs down, stay with same generation motor. Get hold of a LQ4 or LQ9 and add go-fast parts to those if desired so it'll run with the Denali!

Guys on here have been down this path already! @Rocket Man @Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
LS3 is car motor. Go with a truck motor and to keep costs down, stay with same generation motor. Get hold of a LQ4 or LQ9 and add go-fast parts to those if desired so it'll run with the Denali!

Guys on here have been down this path already! @Rocket Man @Tonyrodz
Used an 05 6.0 Silverado HD motor(LQ4)in my 03 Tahoe. Cammed, long tubes, springs, longer pushrods, 3000 stall, etc etc. Super fun to drive. I have a GN, but prefer the Hoe over it. Check out my build page.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second (or third, fourth...) the above recommendations. All those minor items you listed can be resolved with improvements as adriver said. An LS3 would be a HUGE waste of money and would impose operating hurdles since it's a Gen IV motor. A solid stock 5.3 or 6.0 with a little boost can be had for far less and would be more powerful. Your wife's Denali would be slow by comparison. You can get the Powerstop upgraded parts for a GMT900 and have even better braking than the stock GMT900 parts- fix and upgrade simultaneously.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll break the string of agreement and say 240K miles and 15 years old sounds like a lot just waiting to become problematic and need replacing. New rims, tires, headliner, springs, shocks, etc for fun (which isn't cheap)...then all kinds of shit starts to go south that has to be fixed? Money pit land. Just my 2 pennies.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'll break the string of agreement and say 240K miles and 15 years old sounds like a lot just waiting to become problematic and need replacing. New rims, tires, headliner, springs, shocks, etc for fun (which isn't cheap)...then all kinds of shit starts to go south that has to be fixed? Money pit land. Just my 2 pennies.

Shut up, you.

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman