'21 Denali w/29K miles. dealer is replacing engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350engine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Denali w/29K miles stopped cold at an intersection in rural town 150 miles away from my dealer. I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. After towing to dealer, was told that the bearings were shot in cylinder 1 & 2 resulting of scoring of the cylinder wall. Their answer is to replace the engine under warranty. Something doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, that sounds right for that new generation, sorry to say. Something went awry in their quality control in the latest generation it seems like and you're not the only one who had this issue.

Let then put a new motor in, you'll be good to go. Maybe use it as leverage for a longer warranty. Also, ask about the warranty on a new GM motor. I've heard that if GM pays for it, you only get 2yr/24k warranty. Customer pay is 3yr/100k. Maybe if you "pay" a portion they will make it the longer version. Just something to take on with your advisor.

OP
OP

350engine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, that sounds right for that new generation, sorry to say. Something went awry in their quality control in the latest generation it seems like and you're not the only one who had this issue.

Let then put a new motor in, you'll be good to go. Maybe use it as leverage for a longer warranty. Also, ask about the warranty on a new GM motor. I've heard that if GM pays for it, you only get 2yr/24k warranty. Customer pay is 3yr/100k. Maybe if you "pay" a portion they will make it the longer version. Just something to take on with your advisor.
thanks for the tip!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the warranty book, any engine replaced under the factory powertrain warranty would get the remainder of the factory powertrain warranty...in his, case he is good to 5 years or 60K miles on the powertrain, so depending on his purchase date, he has 2-3 years, and 32k miles remaining...unless they give you something extra for the inconvenience.

BigRedRST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Were these 5.3 or 6.2 failures? Not liking these threads I'm seeing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar