2022 Denali XL Ultimate - Sunroof control module failed at 1500 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glassje

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all - picked up a 2022 Yukon Denali Ultimate on Nov 1st (ordered in July). Really lucky to be able to get it when we did given all the production shortages and delays. Great truck so far, but just noticed after ~1500mi that the center console controls (sunroof, roof shade, center console motor, garage door control, motion sensor, etc.) stopped working. All the roof lights in the headliner (middle and back rows) also stopped working. Took to the dealer today and said the control module went bad? They apparently have to overnight a part and will have it fixed tomorrow. Apparently a fuse also went which is why the rear lights stopped working. Sounds suspicious that both would fail at the same time. Anyone else have similar issues with '21 / '22 parts failures this soon? Of course it's covered under warranty, but I wasn't expecting to be in the shop for 48 hrs only 4 weeks into ownership. Should I be worried / surprised that a $93k truck has parts that fail this quickly? Thx! 20211115_084652.jpg

shingles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to just released study from Consumer Reports, GMC is the 7th least reliable brand with Yukon being particularly bad.

So, who knows. I have one on order myself, but I guess I am not particularly worried at this point. These types of things can happen to all brands.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '21 SLT has already been into the dealer for warranty work. With 3K miles on her I found the driver side carpet totally soaking wet under the weathertech floor mats. Dealer repaired it using service bulletin #20-NA-219 and said the front sunroof drain tubes were too short and water was backing up into the vehicle at highway speed. Quite annoying on a brand new vehicle, especially a rather expensive one. I'm sure mine had this issue from day one, I just didn't notice it until I pulled the floormat to shake the dirt off it. New model, new problems...Other than that it's been great 5500 miles in so far

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my new '07 Yukon SLT the TCCM failed at like 1000 miles. The dealer replaced it under warranty and that was the last 4WD system problem I ever had, still ticking along.

A long time ago, I worked for a company that built networking products. One of the finance guys did an analysis and recommended we provide a lifetime warranty on the hardware. He figured out that the nominal failure period for the components that were going to fail was like 90 days. Once the components had gone a few months, they rarely ever failed.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has GM adopted FCA's product development lifecycle?

1st model year - prototype
2nd model year - alpha testing
3rd model year - beta testing
4th model year - final product form before a mid cycle enhancement to repeat the above process again

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our '21 SLT has already been into the dealer for warranty work. With 3K miles on her I found the driver side carpet totally soaking wet under the weathertech floor mats. Dealer repaired it using service bulletin #20-NA-219 and said the front sunroof drain tubes were too short and water was backing up into the vehicle at highway speed. Quite annoying on a brand new vehicle, especially a rather expensive one. I'm sure mine had this issue from day one, I just didn't notice it until I pulled the floormat to shake the dirt off it. New model, new problems...Other than that it's been great 5500 miles in so far

Is this something a new Yukon owner should get taken care of? Or did this get fixed in all new Yukons currently being delivered?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's something they only look at when one comes in with a problem. My local dealer had never seen the issue before we brought ours in. I should have had them look at the passenger side also while it was there but I did not so who knows if/when I'll have to bring it back in

Eek001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all - picked up a 2022 Yukon Denali Ultimate on Nov 1st (ordered in July). Really lucky to be able to get it when we did given all the production shortages and delays. Great truck so far, but just noticed after ~1500mi that the center console controls (sunroof, roof shade, center console motor, garage door control, motion sensor, etc.) stopped working. All the roof lights in the headliner (middle and back rows) also stopped working. Took to the dealer today and said the control module went bad? They apparently have to overnight a part and will have it fixed tomorrow. Apparently a fuse also went which is why the rear lights stopped working. Sounds suspicious that both would fail at the same time. Anyone else have similar issues with '21 / '22 parts failures this soon? Of course it's covered under warranty, but I wasn't expecting to be in the shop for 48 hrs only 4 weeks into ownership. Should I be worried / surprised that a $93k truck has parts that fail this quickly? Thx! View attachment 356659
Did the dealership get your issue fixed? I'm having the exact same issues in a 2022 Yukon AT4 that I purchased brand new 3 weeks ago. My issues started at 1600 miles. My dealer told me this is a known issue and that the whole overhead console has to be replaced. I'm currently waiting for the replacement parts to come in. Dealership says it could be weeks before they get here.

Hiebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all - picked up a 2022 Yukon Denali Ultimate on Nov 1st (ordered in July). Really lucky to be able to get it when we did given all the production shortages and delays. Great truck so far, but just noticed after ~1500mi that the center console controls (sunroof, roof shade, center console motor, garage door control, motion sensor, etc.) stopped working. All the roof lights in the headliner (middle and back rows) also stopped working. Took to the dealer today and said the control module went bad? They apparently have to overnight a part and will have it fixed tomorrow. Apparently a fuse also went which is why the rear lights stopped working. Sounds suspicious that both would fail at the same time. Anyone else have similar issues with '21 / '22 parts failures this soon? Of course it's covered under warranty, but I wasn't expecting to be in the shop for 48 hrs only 4 weeks into ownership. Should I be worried / surprised that a $93k truck has parts that fail this quickly? Thx! View attachment 356659
Hope your sunroof doesn't leak, mine and many others are having that issue , among others.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on this site that talked about water leaks around the windshield frame. There was a detailed video of how it was fixed by pulling out the headliner and sealing up some areas where the spot welds were bad. I can't remember all of the details but it was a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts