2024 Chevy Tahoe, Suburban To Keep LM2 Duramax Diesel Engine For Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this going in a different direction... And them dropping the LM2 and the LZ0 entirely. They likely believe they have enough product sitting on the shelves to last thru the 2024 MY, and a close out in 2025 MY. Likely for the same reason that FoMoCo and Mopar got out of the 1/4 - 1/2 ton diesels. They arent driven hard enough for the SCR/DPF/DEF system to operate correctly, resulting in exaggerated warranty costs.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there will be a refresh at all. They just got it wrong. The full size gm suvs have never had a mid cycle refresh. I don't see it happening in this generation either with sales being so good. I imagine we will see lz0 and all the new stuff on the next gen. Now the next gen may still use the same chassis but have a redesigned body, interior, etc.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this going in a different direction... And them dropping the LM2 and the LZ0 entirely. They likely believe they have enough product sitting on the shelves to last thru the 2024 MY, and a close out in 2025 MY. Likely for the same reason that FoMoCo and Mopar got out of the 1/4 - 1/2 ton diesels. They arent driven hard enough for the SCR/DPF/DEF system to operate correctly, resulting in exaggerated warranty costs.
They don't HAVE to be driven hard. This is not a HD Diesel that needs to be pulling a 5th wheel to be happy. It is engineered around daily driving, potential short trips and not towing a thing if that is what the owner wishes. As long as you get it out on the road once in a while, it has the same future as a 5.3/6.2 with 40% better mileage.....

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't HAVE to be driven hard. This is not a HD Diesel that needs to be pulling a 5th wheel to be happy. It is engineered around daily driving, potential short trips and not towing a thing if that is what the owner wishes. As long as you get it out on the road once in a while, it has the same future as a 5.3/6.2 with 40% better mileage.....
Thats why I said Hard Enough... Not saying they have to be driven at 100mph while pulling some 6000lb trailer.. Just hard enough to get the system up to regen status to allow the overly complicated system to operate as intended.

But it has been Modis Operendi for GM. The 1.6L 4 cylinder diesel they had in the GMC Terrain for 2 years got dropped for 2 reasons, lack of sales, and they werent driven hard enough for the system to operate as intended. I didnt even know they made it, until I stumbled across one at a dealer. I think they would have had better sales with it if they had expanded its market a bit. You could get the little diesel in the Terrain SL, SLT, and SLE.. But not the Denali.

Edit: If they were made abit better, and for fat americans (I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK! LOL), I would have bought one. The reported user average MPG is 39.1.

Last edited:

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This news coming from the same “insider intel” which not even a month ago got the refresh information all wrong? What’s to say GM Authority knows anything accurately?

Edit to add: looks like GM Authority was right this time. The 24’ order guide is up and this is a direct screenshot from the engine offerings. No new diesel and no diesel in the AT4:

IMG_2093.jpeg

Link here:
https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/N...vehicleID=22791&section=oi_def&page=6&butID=3

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo