Air ride issues in cold winters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any feedback from owners with air ride that’s been through a few cold winters? Thinking to replace my ‘16 Yukon Denali with a new 6.2 Tahoe Z71. I tow a 6500 lb boat traler a fair bit so want suspension leveling. But every winter here in the Cdn Rockies brings some -35C/-32F spells and I am concerned about bladders or lines cracking, compressors icing, and road salt generally on that system. I like the 4-low 2” lift air-ride provides too. My default alternative is to go conventional suspension and add airbag helpers… would not operate them in winter and at least its not fatal if they fail.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are made for all weather. Usually high temp, low humidity does them in and the crack and leak. Every Denali I bought from down south or out west needed replacement. In the midwest with cold temps they work just fine. Eventually they fail due to age and conditions. As long as the compressor kicks on for its daily ignition check and pumps up, just run them. If you don't hear the compressor, or it runs a lot, then inspect. No air will ruin them just the same, usually quicker

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 years no problems, don't expect any. But they usually fall apart later in life not sooner. My Jeep GC went 6 years and still no problems with air ride in it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been through 1.5 Minnesota winters with mine…still good as day one. There was an early problem w/ it up to manufacture in late 21 (Sep I think). Some were going totally leaked out when cold. GM made a design change and issued a TSB on it to change the seals. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere.

But, no, for mine it’s been perfect, and I love it while towing and when I have my 80 year old parents and in-laws along. The easy entry lowering is a great thing for them.

Punteh

Reaction score
I initially wanted air ride on my Denali. Then I started reading and seeing people reporting issues due to cold weather. I talked to one dealer who had an available Denali with air ride and he said the system isn't designed for -40c. Whether that's true or not it didn't give me a good level of confidence considering we get those temperatures here every winter. If the air ride was supplemental to a normal suspension setup I probably could have dealt with the system not working from time to time. But if the air ride fails to work then you have no suspension and your vehicle isn't driveable. For me that made the risk greater than the reward of having air ride. But like with all things vehicle related there's no guarantee that you would have issues in cold weather.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the whole thread on the issue. Post 34 in the thread has the link to the TSB implying the fix and the design change.
Been on this forum since Dec of 21, haven't heard any reports of issues w/ the Air Ride in the recent past.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I initially wanted air ride on my Denali. Then I started reading and seeing people reporting issues due to cold weather. I talked to one dealer who had an available Denali with air ride and he said the system isn't designed for -40c. Whether that's true or not it didn't give me a good level of confidence considering we get those temperatures here every winter. If the air ride was supplemental to a normal suspension setup I probably could have dealt with the system not working from time to time. But if the air ride fails to work then you have no suspension and your vehicle isn't driveable. For me that made the risk greater than the reward of having air ride. But like with all things vehicle related there's no guarantee that you would have issues in cold weather.

This is my concern.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I echo WalleyeMike in that I’ve had two identical Yukon Denalis back to back over the past two years, a 21’ and a 22’ and no issues in Minneapolis winters with either. Coldest temp my Yukon saw was this past winter at -32 below.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two winters with my At4 and no problems with the air suspension. Lowest temp it’s been parked overnight in was about -15f.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been through 1.5 Minnesota winters with mine…still good as day one. There was an early problem w/ it up to manufacture in late 21 (Sep I think). Some were going totally leaked out when cold. GM made a design change and issued a TSB on it to change the seals. There’s a thread on here about it somewhere.

But, no, for mine it’s been perfect, and I love it while towing and when I have my 80 year old parents and in-laws along. The easy entry lowering is a great thing for them.

Two winters with my At4 and no problems with the air suspension. Lowest temp it’s been parked overnight in was about -15f.

I'm curious how it will hold up after 4-5 winters when the warranty period is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes