2022 Yukon Parking Brake Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crankin

Reaction score
HELP
2022 GMC Yukon XL
Wife went to go to work this morning and Yukon wont move. Parking brake light on and also service electric parking brake light.
Im assuming actuator is stuck or frozen. Currently -2 deg C where I am.

Any suggestions?

GMC roadside contacted to tow to dealer. No rental available or loaner

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try and warm it up some? The parking brake is on the rear calipers. I wouldn't put any direct heat on it but maybe something like a electric space heater ? 28 degrees isn't terribly cold but maybe water or something got in and froze..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HELP
2022 GMC Yukon XL
Wife went to go to work this morning and Yukon wont move. Parking brake light on and also service electric parking brake light.
Im assuming actuator is stuck or frozen. Currently -2 deg C where I am.

Any suggestions?

GMC roadside contacted to tow to dealer. No rental available or loaner
couple things to try
1. try rocking the vehicle back-n-forth (if possible)
2. try switching from drive to reverse a few times (if possible)
3. disconnect battery ground, let sit a minute, reconnect and try above again.

OP
OP
crankin

crankin

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was stuck at work and was trying to relay info to my wife.
1. turn on and off-no luck
2. Push the e brake button - no luck
3. Kick the wheels/tap with hammer - no luck
4. switching from fwd and rev - no luck

If I was home I would have disconnected the battery. Called GMC roadside they came and picked it up to take to the dealer. Only wheel that is locked up is rear passenger. Had to drag the truck on the flatbed.

Will keep updated on the solution

OP
OP
crankin

crankin

Reaction score
Yukon was towed to the dealer. They got it in to look at it that afternoon (FRI). No issues, no codes, removed wheels, checked brakes, calipers and e brake no issues everything working as per it should. Picked it up Friday night all is good.

Sunday night go out to check again prior to Monday when wife has to work. E brake light on and light for service parking brake. E brake relased this time but still seems to be dragging. -9 deg c all day sunday.

I think there is moisture somewhere that is freezing causing the issue.

Now to sort something out at the dealer as they cant fix it if its not broken when they look at it.

OP
OP
crankin

crankin

Reaction score
dealer couldnt find any issues or codes. Happened to my wife yesterday. Dropped kids off at school went to leave and parking brake stuck on, on passenger side. turned truck on and off no change. Gave it more gas to get it moving anyway and it released about 20 feet down the road. What a stupid design. Dealer cant fix anything unless I can replicate the problem. It was -4 deg c

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is some moisture in the ebrake system that is freezing up since you are in pretty cold weather when its happening? Possibly just enough to freeze up and cause it to stick when you stop and once moving it lets go again. Just a thought.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is some moisture in the ebrake system that is freezing up since you are in pretty cold weather when its happening? Possibly just enough to freeze up and cause it to stick when you stop and once moving it lets go again. Just a thought.
This is likely the issue.

While the GM owners manual says nothing about it; my wife's Honda's OM says something like: If it is too cold outside, the parking brake can freeze up, don't use it in freezing temperatures.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was wrong with the tried and true cable setup? All this elecrrostuff for basic operations would really chap my rear if I were I your shoes. I hope you can get it figured out.

On a side note, does anyone here know how that system works? Is it a separate set of shoes activated by an electric mechanism, or is it on the caliper itself? This would aid in the diagnosis I'm sure. Either fluid related, or electromechanical

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic