2022 Wont start after remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjscram

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same thing happened to us tonite. 2022 GMC Yukon XL SLT, Waited a hour for GMC roadside assistance to arrive with a jump pack. Didn’t initially fix the issue, ended up disconnecting the battery waiting A couple minutes reconnecting the cables and the jump pack and the truck started. Will be contacting the dealership in the morning.
First time posting, apologize if out of order.... This thread saved us yesterday. Remote started our 2022 Tahoe RST Duramax with about 700 miles on the ODO, after about 5 minutes got in and pushed the start button, engine stopped and would not restart. Everything electrical in the car worked except the engine would not crank, main dash screen showed normal battery voltage and showed a message that went something like "try again". At same time I received an automated text from OnStar saying "an issue with your Engine and Transmission System has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 1 day". I tried shutting everything off and waiting 10 min, still no luck. Then my wife found this thread...we flagged people down until we found someone with pliers, disconnected the negative battery terminal for a minute, reconnected and the engine started right up. This was not a battery issue...plenty of voltage...clearly akin to needing to reboot a laptop. Drove straight to hardware store and bought pliers for future reboots. All this 300 miles from home in a remote part of VT, late afternoon and snowing with 2 kids and 2 grandparents...no Ubers or tow trucks to be found...so I very much appreciate the helpful info. Sharing to validate and provide info hopefully useful to others. All that aside - we love the Tahoe with Duramax - great torque, rarely needs to rev above 2K RPM, smooth and quiet, averaged 29MPG on the highway (admittedly I was keeping it slow until fully broken in)...

The Captain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the problem in January with our brand new 2022 Escalade while up at our cabin in (oddly enough) Cadillac (Caberfae), Michigan. A neighbor came by to help who happened to be the GM engineer for some aspect of Corvettes. He happened to have the cell number for a buddy he said was the electrical engineer in charge of the Cadillac division as I recall. Really senior GM engineers. Anyway, neither was aware of the problem. I thought to disconnect the negative cable, and of course it worked.

My dealer was unaware of the issue, and sadly said there is no system to let customers know 1) there's a problem or 2) when there's a fix.

I called Cadillac customer service (800) 333-4223 and GM customer service (800) 462-8782 4/14 to ask about the progress toward a fix and to suggest they have a better system to make us aware of 1) problems and 2) fixes. Neither was aware of the problem. I gave them THEIR TSB PIT5873 and neither said they could even find the TSB. They said it could be someone else who made it up. I asked for a supervisor callback, and they GUARANTEED me I'd get one in 24-48 hrs. Case # 9-7603862539.

No call back.

TWO WEEKS LATER, I called Cadillac back (4/27). They said the case was closed, apparently they couldn't verify the issue. Headshaker. I asked why it was closed, why no supervisor callback, they had no answer. They said they could not reopen the case. I asked them to just copy the previous case and open a new one, and have a supervisor call. They said they would.

I promptly called GM Customer Service (4/27). (As an aside, they don't list a number on their website, they just list Chevy, Cadillac, etc. numbers. I had to dig online to get the above #, unsat for GM customers I believe). Explained issue and lack of resolution again. Agent wasn't aware of and could not find the TSB. Asked for a supervisor. On hold over an hour.

Problem 1--this issue exists, and GM either isn't aware, or working on it, or hasn't made enough progress in a timely manner.

Problem 2--No good system to let customers know of these problems, and their associated progress toward a resolution.

Problem 3--Cadillac and GM customer service not returning customer calls, and closing cases without resolution or notifying customers.

At this point, I plan to write to GM and inform them I plan to have an after-market remote installed and will take the bill to my dealer or to court for them to reimburse me. A new 2022 $105,000 car should have an operating remote start. They should have worked on the problem a little harder.

The Captain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, I found this forum while trying to start the car, and told them about the TSB referenced in this thread. They said thewy were unaware. I thought it a little disheartening at the time that the electrical engineer apparently in charge of Cadillac was unaware of this TSB affecting all 2022 Escalades (and Tahoes, Yukons, etc).

The Captain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM is leaving hundreds of their 2022 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Escalade owners stranded all over the country, sometimes in sub-zero conditions, without fixing the problem and without even notifying owners there is a problem! For six months now!

drmoose

Reaction score
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a fix for this yet, and also that they have not made this generally available knowledge.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM is leaving hundreds of their 2022 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Escalade owners stranded all over the country, sometimes in sub-zero conditions, without fixing the problem and without even notifying owners there is a problem! For six months now!
Why not call those GM engineers back?? They probably have a line into places you don’t…send them a copy of the TSB in post 28, or a link to this thread!!!

Maybe all the people in this thread who have experienced the issue should call GM customer service and open a case, and point the customer service rep to this thread.

That said, i think the GM corporate customer service is a mess...they couldn't even tell me if my vehicle was capable of working with the trailer tire pressure monitors...referred me to the dealer.

Fortunately it is summer, so I won't want to use Remote Start again until November...hope they nail it by then.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a fix for this yet, and also that they have not made this generally available knowledge.
made what generally available knowledge? that disconnecting the battery will fix it until it screws up again? they won't do that, it would just get them in trouble by the first idiot that electrocuted themselves.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
made what generally available knowledge? that disconnecting the battery will fix it until it screws up again? they won't do that, it would just get them in trouble by the first idiot that electrocuted themselves.

Well they could at least let it be know to owners so they dont use the feature, or if they do they may have to have the battery disconnected and reconnected by a “qualified person/professional”….

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus the fact that while disconnecting the battery is an often suggested “Fix” on here, at best it is just a band aid fix for a malfunction that deserves a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAUDADES333