Remote Start AP8 Questions/Issues. Lights flash but won’t turn over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="liftedhoe07, post: 1409046, member: 72159"My initial though was “ok, signal revived but I still need to go to the dealer for remote start programming.” (I’m not sure if the matters but when I programmed the new fob, the old fob stopped working). I went to the dealer a few days later with the key fob and activation code, after about two hours they essentially came up with the same result I did. The truck received the signal, the lights flash but it won’t initiate the turn over (both fobs worked this time). My next option is to drop it off and have them diagnose what the issue is. The dealer is going to comp the initial two hour diagnostics but anything after I’ll be on the hook for, not including whatever parts it may cost to fix the issue. The question “is it worth it?” begins to come into play.

Note:
Battery is good, hood latch is reading closed, full tank of gas, no CEL lights, all doors are closed, pushing lock then holding the R/S button for 4 seconds. These are all issues I have read that could stop it from starting.[/QUOTE]

He has already been to the dealer once. That being said man you aren’t out anything at this point. Might be worth dropping it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Martin D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I have scoured the forums for these question and cannot seem to find them. Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I own an 07 NBS Tahoe with RPO code AP8 for ‘remote start ready.’ From the extensive research I have done I am under the impression remote start ready requires no addition antennas, wiring, signals, etc. To achieve factory remote start I need to:
1) Purchase fob with activation code for GM to enable remote start
2) Take fob to dealer and have them instal/activate the fob for remote start
After completing these steps, remote start will be activated and good to go. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If the above information is correct (which I believe it is based upon other forums), that leads me to my current issue. I purchased a Fob (one single fob) from 1A Auto for $163.24 and confirmed with them it contained the code GM needed to active. Unfortunately this was the only suppler I could find. Companies like GM part direct have discounted the fobs from their sites.

Anyways, The fob arrived, I programmed the fob through the DIC. Stood about 10 feet from the truck and Hit lock, then R/S and the lights flashed but it didn’t turn over. My initial though was “ok, signal revived but I still need to go to the dealer for remote start programming.” (I’m not sure if the matters but when I programmed the new fob, the old fob stopped working). I went to the dealer a few days later with the key fob and activation code, after about two hours they essentially came up with the same result I did. The truck received the signal, the lights flash but it won’t initiate the turn over (both fobs worked this time). My next option is to drop it off and have them diagnose what the issue is. The dealer is going to comp the initial two hour diagnostics but anything after I’ll be on the hook for, not including whatever parts it may cost to fix the issue. The question “is it worth it?” begins to come into play.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? If my information about the AP8 is incorrect and more antennas, wiring, etc. need to be installed for it to work, then this issue would make sense. I am hoping my information is correct and this can be something I can fix at home. I would assume that the dealer already activated remote start at the shop so now I can try and self diagnose to save some cash.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Note:
Battery is good, hood latch is reading closed, full tank of gas, no CEL lights, all doors are closed, pushing lock then holding the R/S button for 4 seconds. These are all issues I have read that could stop it from starting.
Clear check engine light if it's on. That was my problem. Abt the key fob , my new one wouldn't remote start either..

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster. I have scoured the forums for these question and cannot seem to find them. Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I own an 07 NBS Tahoe with RPO code AP8 for ‘remote start ready.’ From the extensive research I have done I am under the impression remote start ready requires no addition antennas, wiring, signals, etc. To achieve factory remote start I need to:
1) Purchase fob with activation code for GM to enable remote start
2) Take fob to dealer and have them instal/activate the fob for remote start
After completing these steps, remote start will be activated and good to go. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If the above information is correct (which I believe it is based upon other forums), that leads me to my current issue. I purchased a Fob (one single fob) from 1A Auto for $163.24 and confirmed with them it contained the code GM needed to active. Unfortunately this was the only suppler I could find. Companies like GM part direct have discounted the fobs from their sites.

Anyways, The fob arrived, I programmed the fob through the DIC. Stood about 10 feet from the truck and Hit lock, then R/S and the lights flashed but it didn’t turn over. My initial though was “ok, signal revived but I still need to go to the dealer for remote start programming.” (I’m not sure if the matters but when I programmed the new fob, the old fob stopped working). I went to the dealer a few days later with the key fob and activation code, after about two hours they essentially came up with the same result I did. The truck received the signal, the lights flash but it won’t initiate the turn over (both fobs worked this time). My next option is to drop it off and have them diagnose what the issue is. The dealer is going to comp the initial two hour diagnostics but anything after I’ll be on the hook for, not including whatever parts it may cost to fix the issue. The question “is it worth it?” begins to come into play.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? If my information about the AP8 is incorrect and more antennas, wiring, etc. need to be installed for it to work, then this issue would make sense. I am hoping my information is correct and this can be something I can fix at home. I would assume that the dealer already activated remote start at the shop so now I can try and self diagnose to save some cash.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Note:
Battery is good, hood latch is reading closed, full tank of gas, no CEL lights, all doors are closed, pushing lock then holding the R/S button for 4 seconds. These are all issues I have read that could stop it from starting.
Here is my post on this issue in detail on the process.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In Shackman7878's thread he mentions to make sure the remote start is turned ON in the DIC. I can confirm that if remote start is turned off in the DIC the parking lights will flash but the engine won't turn over.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Shackman7878's thread he mentions to make sure the remote start is turned ON in the DIC. I can confirm that if remote start is turned off in the DIC the parking lights will flash but the engine won't turn over.
Very rare someone has turned it off at the DIC but worth checking out before calling bunch of dealers and having the item shipped to you.

scruffy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey; I purchased a new fob and the dealer programmed it in 20 minutes, needing the old one to do it. I know when I remote start the Denali the lights flash, then I heard what sounds like two relays clicking and then the starter engages. I am driving a key-start 2012, but you might have no equipment physically due to an assembly error (wrong fuse board, left-out relay, etc.)...just thinkin'-GM should pick up the whole troubleshootin' tab!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr