2022 suburban LS screen upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asnsurfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve searched but no luck. I have a 2022 suburban LS. Diesel 4x4. I’ve decided to test if the larger screen that’s on every other model can replace the smaller screen that comes in LS now and PPV. The connections are identical and installation was pretty easy. Problem is the new screen displays 8 different screens in one lol. Dealer hasn’t been much help. I have an appt to see if it needs to be programmed. Just wanted to ask if anyone has ideas. Everything works btw. You can click any of them and it does what you want. I’d just rather have 1 big one..

Attachments

• D3595618-11DE-45C6-886E-9250434E1FF5.jpeg
    D3595618-11DE-45C6-886E-9250434E1FF5.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 079BEEBA-DA88-431A-B422-0CEBE061EF07.jpeg
    079BEEBA-DA88-431A-B422-0CEBE061EF07.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 3A3ABEB3-D878-4DE3-92B8-051B923931ED.jpeg
    3A3ABEB3-D878-4DE3-92B8-051B923931ED.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 44
  • C677DDC8-F476-4013-99EA-33219F761B28.jpeg
    C677DDC8-F476-4013-99EA-33219F761B28.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 45

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that there is some setting or control that is set up for the screen at the original size, and with the screen now being different, the controller may not know what it is supposed to do with the screen. Its possibly just a simple update at the dealer, but no idea if that is the issue. I am guessing you did this with the battery disconnected? It may not work, but it is worth a try to disconnect the battery again for a few minutes and then reconnect it and see if it works? possibly do several power up/sleep modes for your system as well, as it may be as simple as just needing to learn that the screen is different size and reset itself.

OP
OP
Asnsurfnut

Asnsurfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would guess that there is some setting or control that is set up for the screen at the original size, and with the screen now being different, the controller may not know what it is supposed to do with the screen. Its possibly just a simple update at the dealer, but no idea if that is the issue. I am guessing you did this with the battery disconnected? It may not work, but it is worth a try to disconnect the battery again for a few minutes and then reconnect it and see if it works? possibly do several power up/sleep modes for your system as well, as it may be as simple as just needing to learn that the screen is different size and reset itself.
Thanks I did not disconnect the battery. I will try that! My dealer said they aren’t able to do anything because they can’t manipulate the code. They think it would need to be flashed from a trim level that had it equipped but they can’t do that. I’ve called several others and they say the same thing. I was hoping to be a successful Guinea pig in this but it’s not looking too good!

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesnt work, at least you know you gave it a try. And it will be here for when someone else will want to try it out to prevent them from doing the same thing. and if it does work, then that will be a nice trick.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when the VIN on your Suburban is put in the GM system it will only do a reflash or update for the small screen because GM database knows that's what it came with. I know in years past if a different model component were used, the computer could be 'fooled' by using the VIN from a model that originally came equipped with that upgrade. That was in the Tech II days. The version GM uses now may not be susceptible to such manipulation.

The dealer probably wouldn't even try, but maybe an independent shop with a subscription would give it a shot if you're willing to pay. You'd have to get a VIN from a legit large screen 2022 Suburban, and ask the shop to use that ViN to flash the computer for your Suburban as if the new screen were a replacement part.

Not saying this is the solution because the system integration in today's vehicles is getting crazy complicated. Not to mention all the manufacturers are really trying to keep us from doing this sort of thing. Good luck.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you picked through display settings, if any, to see if there is one to not tile the display? Or a setting to change the display resolution?

OP
OP
Asnsurfnut

Asnsurfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it doesnt work, at least you know you gave it a try. And it will be here for when someone else will want to try it out to prevent them from doing the same thing. and if it does work, then that will be a nice trick.
Exactly. I’m sure I won’t be the last to try this.

OP
OP
Asnsurfnut

Asnsurfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you picked through display settings, if any, to see if there is one to not tile the display? Or a setting to change the display resolution?
I have and nada. Nothing I can find at least.

OP
OP
Asnsurfnut

Asnsurfnut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, when the VIN on your Suburban is put in the GM system it will only do a reflash or update for the small screen because GM database knows that's what it came with. I know in years past if a different model component were used, the computer could be 'fooled' by using the VIN from a model that originally came equipped with that upgrade. That was in the Tech II days. The version GM uses now may not be susceptible to such manipulation.

The dealer probably wouldn't even try, but maybe an independent shop with a subscription would give it a shot if you're willing to pay. You'd have to get a VIN from a legit large screen 2022 Suburban, and ask the shop to use that ViN to flash the computer for your Suburban as if the new screen were a replacement part.

Not saying this is the solution because the system integration in today's vehicles is getting crazy complicated. Not to mention all the manufacturers are really trying to keep us from doing this sort of thing. Good luck.
Exactly right. I’ve reached out to a few companies who might be able to help. I’ll update after. Thanks for the tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e