2021 Tahoe rust protection/undercoating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are other benefits to the under coating. Sound deadening and a warranty depending on the installer

But the crucial question is whether or not the application of undercoating will void the OEM rust/corrosion warranty.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious question as I never own a vehicle with more than 70k miles on it...is rusting through frames really still a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the areas that put a lot of salt on the roads during the winter, rust shows up in lots of different ways. That being said, I have a 1997 K1500 with 170K miles on it with serious fender and rocker panel rust, but the frame is still solid, albeit rusty.

I had a 2007 Yukon Denali with 300K of Iowa/Midwest miles on it and rust on the frame was not an issue.

sd172

Reaction score
I got mine undercoated with WoolWax last fall, and going for a second treatment this Friday. It doesn’t cause the factory frame coating to bubble up like the Fluid Film does (seems to be an issue only with GM trucks).
The factory undercoating is garbage at best. It personally bothers me to see the underbody rust on a 1-2 years old $50k plus SUV.

Reaction score
I spray motor oil on my underside here in Michigan every winter. Seems to work great...
Downside is doing it every year.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spray motor oil on my underside here in Michigan every winter. Seems to work great...
Downside is doing it every year.
Isn’t that flammable? Hot exhaust, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Have never had a problem. Of course the truck is not running while I spray it either.

ytechie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got mine undercoated with WoolWax last fall, and going for a second treatment this Friday. It doesn’t cause the factory frame coating to bubble up like the Fluid Film does (seems to be an issue only with GM trucks).
The factory undercoating is garbage at best. It personally bothers me to see the underbody rust on a 1-2 years old $50k plus SUV.

I have a ton of FluidFilm - are you recommend I avoid using it on the Yukon?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory installed treatment on these gm frames is a complete joke in my opinion. Complete garbage. Yea the frame might not rust through for a long time, but it sure looks like shit in no time. My wifes 2 year old denali frame looked waaaaay worse than the frame on my 2000 dodge ram after 11 years of michigan winters.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of FluidFilm - are you recommend I avoid using it on the Yukon?

I would steer clear of the frame for sure. But saturate the living hell out of the inner fenders and rockers/cab corners etc. Ooooooooo that smell, gotttaaaa love that smeeeellllllllll! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts