2021 Tahoe/Escalade Performance Brembo Brake Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not true that is not how friction works.

Friction area is irrelevant, you clearly do not understand physics, I have a mechanical engineering degree I know physics. Bigger pads only make for longer pad life the physical area has no relation to stopping power, all that matters is the coefficient of friction of the pad. Larger rotor do give more leverage for stopping power yes, but I don't think this kit is changing the size of the rotor just the rotor has more contact area. You do realize that if these upgraded calipers have more piston surface area then the pedal travel would actually get longer/softer. From the link to the kit from Chevy it said the rotors have 22% more surface area, are the diameter the same as stock?
I need to double check, but I think the size of the rotor changes. I remember talk about how a 18" spare does not work anymore but I don't think it was solely due to caliper to wheel clearance without a change in rotor size.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you are running R compound tires and have gobs of traction. Otherwise, it won't matter, the stock brake system is more than capable of handling larger and heavier wheels for any street application.

If what you were saying was the case, then there needs to be a corresponding rear axle brake system upgrade unless you're only running larger/heavier wheels/tires on your front axle.
You forget factor of safety. But yes, those, depending, should be replaced as well, including gearing—ahem.

So it does matter where weight is concerned. Try putting on larger and heavier wheels and tires and tell us you stop in the same distance. How about stock tires at 40-45 lbs each to e rated at 65-70 lbs each.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Mine has the brembo’s, better than the stock 18 denali we traded in. But I never drove a 22 with the stock brakes.
I'm driving a Yukon with the "stock brakes" and upgraded to 22"s and that's why I ordered the Brembo upgrade. Instead of a +2 I went from the OEM 18" wheel/tire to a +4 22" wheel/tire and in a hard or emergency braking situation, the vehicle clearly needs the larger diameter rotors and 6 piston calipers. They are being delivered today and will have them installed on Friday 4/8/2022.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Stopping distances are limited by the coefficient of friction of your tires way more than your brakes as long as your brakes are capable of locking up the tires (without ABS).
Except the Brembo's will only fit a 20" wheel and up. Ergo, you are probably increasing the size ( +2 or maybe even + 4 over OEM 18's ) of your wheel/tire and the larger tire's contact patch enables more brake force to be applied before the brake overcomes the traction of the tire on the pavement and locks up in a skid, which actually increases stopping distances. There are different thoughts on this for sure but bigger tires/wheels require bigger swept area on the rotors and more clamping force from the calipers. Aircraft designers encountered this shortly after they invented the first disc brake systems and then landing speeds of higher performance aircraft increased. If you ever get up close to a parked C-17 at an Air show's static display, check out their awesome braking system !

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t waste your time arguing with them. They’re 100% convinced big brakes do nothing and are a waste of money. The reality is they work so well under all conditions compared to stock, I bought another set for my wife’s vehicle.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except the Brembo's will only fit a 20" wheel and up. Ergo, you are probably increasing the size ( +2 or maybe even + 4 over OEM 18's ) of your wheel/tire and the larger tire's contact patch enables more brake force to be applied before the brake overcomes the traction of the tire on the pavement and locks up in a skid, which actually increases stopping distances. There are different thoughts on this for sure but bigger tires/wheels require bigger swept area on the rotors and more clamping force from the calipers. Aircraft designers encountered this shortly after they invented the first disc brake systems and then landing speeds of higher performance aircraft increased. If you ever get up close to a parked C-17 at an Air show's static display, check out their awesome braking system !
Most OEM tire/wheel setups may vary in wheel diameter but the tire diameter tends to stay the same.

I've gotten plenty close to C-17s but I've never really cared. I was just a passenger on them hoping to get to whatever ******** next without going deaf (particularly on the C-130s).

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t waste your time arguing with them. They’re 100% convinced big brakes do nothing and are a waste of money. The reality is they work so well under all conditions compared to stock, I bought another set for my wife’s vehicle.
By the same token, people who do buy something are often biased the other way around and want to re-affirm that they made the right purchase.

When I factory ordered my 335i, there was a $650 option for the Brembo front and rear monoblock calipers. The main attraction wasn't that the brakes were "larger". It was the fact that they were the same calipers as those on the M3 which meant I would be able to have a larger selection of track pads to choose from and the ability to quickly swap brake pads at the track without having to remove the caliper from the wheel carrier/hub. For $650, it was a no-brainer compared to have a floating point rear caliper on the stock setup.

The reality in this case was that improved street braking performance was the result of the tires and not the brake system components. On the track, it can be a different story depending on your setup as well as towing.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude. The tires are NOT the limitation of a braking system under NORMAL driving! They would be a limitation under a full-on panic stop but with ABS and Stabilitrak that is mitigated to a degree.

You’re saying I’m biased toward them but it sure sounds to me like you’re biased against them based on talking points you’ve seen on the internet. Everyone who is against big brakes say the exact same things. What do I have to gain from lying about their performance? I literally just said they’re so good I bought another set. Why would I do that if it weren’t true? I don’t make a dollar if someone buys a set of these. You are absolutely wrong. The Brembos are better than the stock brakes under any and all conditions. Period.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude. The tires are NOT the limitation of a braking system under NORMAL driving! They would be a limitation under a full-on panic stop but with ABS and Stabilitrak that is mitigated to a degree.

You’re saying I’m biased toward them but it sure sounds to me like you’re biased against them based on talking points you’ve seen on the internet. Everyone who is against big brakes say the exact same things. What do I have to gain from lying about their performance? I literally just said they’re so good I bought another set. Why would I do that if it weren’t true? I don’t make a dollar if someone buys a set of these. You are absolutely wrong. The Brembos are better than the stock brakes under any and all conditions. Period.
Neither the brakes nor the tires are limitations under normal driving for any street vehicle.

You do realize that the Brembos are only front brake upgrades right? An SUV is an application where you definitely want the rear brakes to be upgraded since it is the rear axle that will most likely see the greatest range in load particularly if you've either filled the back of the SUV with gear or you are towing a trailer.

Also, you must have missed the part where I said I purchased them and the reasons I purchased them. Furthermore, since BMW offers Brembo front and rear monobloc calipers, they should theoretically offer an even greater improvement over GM's front brake upgrade. In daily driving, you won't see much of a difference over the factory floating point calipers. You'll see a tremendous difference in capability at the track in the ability of your larger rotors and monoblock front/rear calipers in being able to handle the heat your braking system will experience.
By the same token, people who do buy something are often biased the other way around and want to re-affirm that they made the right purchase.

When I factory ordered my 335i, there was a $650 option for the Brembo front and rear monoblock calipers. The main attraction wasn't that the brakes were "larger". It was the fact that they were the same calipers as those on the M3 which meant I would be able to have a larger selection of track pads to choose from and the ability to quickly swap brake pads at the track without having to remove the caliper from the wheel carrier/hub. For $650, it was a no-brainer compared to have a floating point rear caliper on the stock setup.

The reality in this case was that improved street braking performance was the result of the tires and not the brake system components. On the track, it can be a different story depending on your setup as well as towing.

fr8bil

Reaction score
Most OEM tire/wheel setups may vary in wheel diameter but the tire diameter tends to stay the same.

I've gotten plenty close to C-17s but I've never really cared. I was just a passenger on them hoping to get to whatever ******** next without going deaf (particularly on the C-130s).
Ha ha, if you think the C-130's are bad you should have ridden one of the "original" Piston Engine Globemasters across the Pond from England back in the early 60's before the C-130 phased them out. We Bubble-heads returning from Holy Loch thought we were in the lap of luxury the first time we hitched a ride on a returning C-130 MATS flight from Heathrow to Dulles.