2021 Denali air suspension or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sheltn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HELP! I've been perusing the forums, planning on ordering a 2021 Denali soon. I'm torn between waiting for the adaptive air ride suspension (they've stopped production on anything with the air ride suspension option and are currently planning on resuming in April, per the sales manager) or just ordering it without. We don't need it for trailering but our roads are terrible (huge pot holes etc). It will mainly be for shuttling my kids around. Has anyone driven both and felt like there was a perceivable difference between the two? Worth the wait and extra cost? Thanks!!!!

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a cut and paste from my original thread about ordering a 2021 Denali:

“Regarding the Adaptive air ride suspension, I test drove one with and one without back to back. A few findings:

When I first drove the Denali without adaptive air suspension I was concerned that it rode every bit as I figured a large SUV would: a bit soft, prone to diving in the curves and overall unrefined compared to my experience driving German SUV’s over the past decade. I just figured that’s what I had to come to grips with in order to have the size and space of the Yukon. Then I drove the adaptive air ride-equipped model and it was literally night and day to me. It rode so much more composed and had a brawny athletic feel to it while braking and taking turns. It literally rode like a big, heavy, solid German SUV and I was blown away by the ride quality.

Regarding ride "feel," I would not say the ride is “softer” with the adaptive air suspension- rather more planted, responsive and athletic. Bumps and jarring pavement imperfections, as well as aggressive steering inputs and abrupt braking didn’t cause it to be unsettled in the least.”

lasallen

Reaction score
HELP! I've been perusing the forums, planning on ordering a 2021 Denali soon. I'm torn between waiting for the adaptive air ride suspension (they've stopped production on anything with the air ride suspension option and are currently planning on resuming in April, per the sales manager) or just ordering it without. We don't need it for trailering but our roads are terrible (huge pot holes etc). It will mainly be for shuttling my kids around. Has anyone driven both and felt like there was a perceivable difference between the two? Worth the wait and extra cost? Thanks!!!!

Why did they stop production on anything with Air Ride???

OP
OP
S

sheltn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why did they stop production on anything with Air Ride???

Yep, as TrueAt1stLight said, they have a shortage of the microchips used for that and, per the sales manager and confirmed by our friend at GM, they are having to put what little supply they have toward the trucks.

I really don't want to wait but I think we are going to put in the order including it. Our dealership said that they don't require a deposit and we can always change the order or put in a different order, if it hasn't been picked up due to the shortage and we get tired of waiting. They also said they will call if they have something come in that's close to our specifications while waiting on our order.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The adaptive suspension was a big deal to me. That, coupled with the $456 Max tow package option (so cheap for extra capability) would have driven me crazy could I not have ordered it as such (the tow package, as you may know, is also affected by the chip shortage).

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are already having issues with the air ride, paired with the production delays I would pass but that’s just me.

MJenn76

Reaction score
Love the air ride in my Denali. Currently in Fla with a rented base model 21 Tahoe and I can really tell the difference. Well worth the wait, especially if anyone has any physical challenges stepping up. The extra 2 inches lower really makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk