2021 Denali air suspension or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RugbyRef

Reaction score
We sold our '17 Land Rover Discovery HSE with air leveling, because we needed something larger. Test drove almost every late model SUV we could find that had an active air ride suspension and settled on our '21 Yukon Denali. The ride difference is remarkable. We have a 5th wheel RV and a car hauler trailer (normally towed by my Ram 3500). I hooked the car hauler up to the Yukon (to test out the pull) and the SUV continued to provide a great, smooth ride.

The thread, above this one, from Justin is a good reference. However, the Service Manager at the dealership where we bought the Denali, is a teammate of mine on our rugby team, so I trust him. That being said - he told me that he has had only one 2021 Tahoe come in with the "Service Leveling System". His team of techs were baffled as well, because GM could not provide a solution other than to replace the DCM. They, too, tried the "remove the negative battery cable for 60 seconds" solution on the Tahoe. It would reset, but came back after a while. The DCM replacement fixed it...according to my buddy at the dealership.

Kinda long-winded reply for the OP, but all-in-all...I would not settle for any other iteration of the Yukon (or Tahoe). I love the air ride suspension on ours! Get it!

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, air ride is a no-brainer.

Yes, it will represent additional maintenance beyond traditional metal springs. But air suspension has been used on truck transport, city and inter-city buses, as well as passenger vehicles all the way back to the late 1950s.

My 1984 Pontiac 6000STE (owned from 1985 - 1987) had rear air, and required warranty repair on the compressor. I also had to replace one of the air shocks that corroded out.

My father’s 2001 Cadillac DeVille (owned from 2000 - 2013) had rear air and also had to replace corroded out shocks.

My 2008 Cadillac DTS (owned from 2008 - present) has rear air. But has required no service.

Metal springs also fail by breaking and sagging. But most people don’t notice or, if they do, don’t replace.

Both front metal springs broke on my 1988 Caprice (owned 1988 - 2001) as well as my father’s 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham LS (owned 1988 - 2001) and were replaced.

If you don’t order air on your Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade you will always question your decision and be tempted to trade-up.

If you do order it - and don’t like it - your only regret will be the extra dough you spent.

That is why it is a no-brainer.

Jerry Rabenaldt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a '12 Avalanche LTZ with it and absolutely loved it. I know that was a much different vehicle but even then it was a night and day difference. Biggest plus for me was the auto-leveling feature.

OP
OP
S

sheltn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I went ahead and ordered it with that option. I'm hoping they fix the chip shortage soon, so it doesn't take 4-6 months! The only option I had to take off the order was the all weather floor mats. Apparently they aren't accepting orders for those right now. Seems easy enough to get Weathertec or Husky liners later if the GMC ones are still on backorder when the car is finally built.

Mike Diaferio

Reaction score
Oh really? What kind of issues?
Really - what kind of issues? I have the air ride and it is great. Also have been monitoring the GM websites and the forums and have not read any issues on it at all.

Clare

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if "adaptive" air ride is the same as the "air suspension" that pumps up with the compressor. I have this on my 2014 Tahoe that I tow a 5600lb trailor with. After two years I had to replace the right rear air shock because it just stopped working. The part itself was over $800.00 CDN and then the labour was on top of that. A year later the left rear started leaking. I found a cheaper air shock on Amazon for about $200.00 and replaced it myself. This particular shock just wore out and the boot cracked and started leaking. I don't notice any difference in towing with the air shocks or with the fuse pulled to disable them. I don't think I would order air shocks on a new Tahoe. I think they are cheap and a waste of money. Just my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts