2018 Denali/Concerns about engine with too much oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had my 6.2 oil changed at my Dealer, 10,000 mile service. They put in 8 quarts. I checked it myself just before leaving the Dealership and it was right between the markers on the dipstick. As far as intervals, I go with 5k because it is easy for me to remember. I did know an oil industry engineer who told that oil lubricating properties are good for a long time, even with black oil. Personally, I do not want black oil in my engine. I think "clean" oil helps the engine over the long haul.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of now, just drive gingerly to the oil change, no high revving, no hard cornering, no hard stops or accelerations.
Don't induce undue turbulence to the oil system - no shaking, as little stirring as possible.

At each oil change, after 1/2 filling the oil filter and then installing the filter, I add one quart UNDER spec.
Then I start it, let it run for a few seconds, shut it down, and wait 1 minute.
Only after all that do I then check the dipstick to see how much more I need, usually less than 1/2 a quart.

(Although NOT a recommendation of any kind, 1/2 a quart low is easier on the engine than 1/2 a quart over.)

14,000 miles before the first oil change? 6500 - 7800 mile oil change intervals? Are you joking, or your cousin?
Are you looking to get rid of it and possibly screw its next owner at 150,000 - 175,000 miles?

If you drove 100% highway miles between refuelings and oil changes, 6000 mile oil changes are understandable, but less miles would be better if your goal is to keep the vehicle longer.

I say this as someone who knows several NYC cabdrivers who own Lincoln Town Cars, GMT900 Escalades, and older Navigators with over 400,000 miles on their original engines.
They all change their oil at 3000 miles or LESS - and they were very early adopters of 5W20.

Far more likely that GM's Oil Life Monitor was written so that the engine'd need replacing before 200,000 miles.
The more often you change motor oil and filter - even using substandard oils and filters - the longer the engine will last.
That'd be longer than if you used motor oils exceeding GM's specs and changed them when GM's OLM said so.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of now, just drive gingerly to the oil change, no high revving, no hard cornering, no hard stops or accelerations.
Don't induce undue turbulence to the oil system - no shaking, as little stirring as possible.

At each oil change, after 1/2 filling the oil filter and then installing the filter, I add one quart UNDER spec.
Only after all that do I then check the dipstick to see how much more I need, usually less than 1/2 a quart.

(Although NOT a recommendation of any kind, 1/2 a quart low is easier on the engine than 1/2 a quart over.)

14,000 miles before the first oil change? 6500 - 7800 mile oil change intervals? Are you joking, or your cousin?
Are you looking to get rid of it and possibly screw its next owner at 150,000 - 175,000 miles?

If you drove 100% highway miles between refuelings and oil changes, 6000 mile oil changes are understandable, but less miles would be better if your goal is to keep the vehicle longer.

I say this as someone who knows several NYC cabdrivers who own Lincoln Town Cars, GMT900 Escalades, and older Navigators with over 400,000 miles on their original engines.
They all change their oil at 3000 miles or LESS - and they were very early adopters of 5W20.

Far more likely that GM's Oil Life Monitor was written so that the engine'd need replacing before 200,000 miles.
The more often you change motor oil and filter - even using substandard oils and filters - the longer the engine will last.
That'd be longer than if you used motor oils exceeding GM's specs and changed them when GM's OLM said so.
We, my wife actually, drove it home (about 20 miles) and I have moved it in and out of the garage a couple of time to do stuff. Then my wife let my daughter and granddaughter fiddle with the phone linking and some other stuff while the engine was idling so they could run the A/C. Otherwise, it has just sat there.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has been said. Just change it and add what the manual says. What oil and filter are you gonna use?
Bought Castrol Edge. I run that in my truck and like it. Bought a Mobile 1 filter to try this first change. Have really thought about a K&N filter as they were rated very good by some sesters.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I really hate to tell you this but my cousin drove the truck to Destin, FL and back just before we bought it. I was telling him that his under-hood area was filthy and it took me over an hour to get all the dust and dirt cleaned off. He was surprised, but admitted he had never checked the oil but had relied on the computer for oil capacity and state of cleanness. The vehicle has only 65,186 miles on it, so even with the less than adequate oil care, it should last another 80,000 without issue. I hope!

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Bought Castrol Edge. I run that in my truck and like it. Bought a Mobile 1 filter to try this first change. Have really thought about a K&N filter as they were rated very good by some sesters.
Don't mess with a K&N air filter stick with OEM. The K&N relies on the oil you treat the filter with to trap dirt if you over treat the filter it can affect the MAF sensor and create all kind of fuel issues due to the oil getting on the sensor and giving the computer mixed readings under treatment means less filtration. Your not going to gain anything by running the K&N then you have to clean it with there cleaning kit let the filter dry then treat it with the oil for the filter.

What can happen if you have too much oil in the motor the crank shaft will spin in the oil creating tiny air bubbles due to too much oil by whipping more or less creating foam in the oil which is pumped throughout the motor meaning less lubrication. After running the motor with too much oil and then pull the dip stick if you see foamy oil on the stick not good if it looks normal no foam your ok.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the additional oil is not gonna cause a problem. Would I want to do it all the time, NO.
^^^^This^^^^

Everyone that is half way between a **** and a Sweat about this, it’s not ideal, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world. We have had folks on here who have regularly ran their vehicle with 2 extra quarts with no adverse effects.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hate to tell you this, but I might really regret NOT telling you, so ...

Since BP bought Castrol, their motor oils' quality has been declining.
Other motor oils have been keeping pace, or getting better.
Some non-Group4 oils now outperform some Castrol Group4 formulations in stress testing.
(Nevermind that, years ago, Castrol successfully lobbied to expand the definition of the word 'synthetic' to include motor oil that was NOT artificially synthesized under controlled lab conditions.)

Hopefully your cousin's next vehicle is an electric one, for that vehicle's sake.

The more EXCESS motor oil in the crankcase, the more important it becomes to drive gently and ask as little of the motor oil as reasonably possible.
If you're driving Miss Daisy, an extra 1/2 a quart's not a problem. Racing would be quite another matter.

There are plenty of aftermarket air filters I'd prefer over K&N. They are all FOAM (think desert racing).
Since those are out of my price range, I'll stick with OE-type air filtration media.

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is someone just overfilled it.

I’m assuming it didn’t look milky or smell of coolant.

When changing the oil tomorrow, I would follow what the manual says for oil capacity and check it afterwards to see where it sits in the dipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel