2018 Denali/Concerns about engine with too much oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2018 Denali 4X4 very hard loaded that stickered for $75,000+ new. Going over it yesterday, I noticed the oil level on the dip stick is almost an inch over the crosshatched "normal" measurement. This really bummed me out. But I thought I'd ask you guys to see if this is normal on the 6.2L after it has sat overnight? I am going to change the oil and filter tomorrow probably so I am wondering if 8 quarts is too much, or if the dip stick is wrong or just what is up with the too high oil level. Also, from looking at his records, he went 14,000+ miles before the first oil change and the others subsequent to that were all 6500 to 7800 mile intervals. I am a 5000 mile interval guy myself. Is this normal interval. My cousin said he was very diligent about the intervals so I am very curious about all of this.

Thanks for any comments you share with me about this.

Bruce

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is someone just overfilled it.

I’m assuming it didn’t look milky or smell of coolant.

When changing the oil tomorrow, I would follow what the manual says for oil capacity and check it afterwards to see where it sits in the dipstick.
Oil looks OK, not cloudy or discolored or foamy. No coolant smell or burned smell. Just way too much.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An inch over the full mark would concern me. Figure stopping, starting, and curves move that oil around and I'd imagine there'd be some oil getting splashed pretty hard. I'd clean all around the drain and drop some out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2018 Denali 4X4 very hard loaded that stickered for $75,000+ new. Going over it yesterday, I noticed the oil level on the dip stick is almost an inch over the crosshatched "normal" measurement. This really bummed me out. But I thought I'd ask you guys to see if this is normal on the 6.2L after it has sat overnight? I am going to change the oil and filter tomorrow probably so I am wondering if 8 quarts is too much, or if the dip stick is wrong or just what is up with the too high oil level. Also, from looking at his records, he went 14,000+ miles before the first oil change and the others subsequent to that were all 6500 to 7800 mile intervals. I am a 5000 mile interval guy myself. Is this normal interval. My cousin said he was very diligent about the intervals so I am very curious about all of this.

Thanks for any comments you share with me about this.

Bruce
People who don't know about cars follow those ridiculous oil change intervals. My mother texted me today and asked if her new Kia was right when it said that she didn't need an oil change for another 8500 miles! I told her they're crazy and to only follow that if she didn't want the motor to last. My dad is not going to change the oil anyways, he's burned through countless engines over the years!

Sometimes records are misplaced, there might have been one early on, you might never know. Doesn't matter if the motor is in good shape and you've already bought it.

Motor takes 8 quarts of oil. Change it and drive on. Take a sample and send it to Blackstone-Labs for analysis. I do this annually for our engines and transmissions. Run the severe service schedule from now on and she should last you a long time.

How do you like that 10-speed?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not drive with the oil level above the mark. Can squeeze it out. If it is possible to change the oil without starting the engine, do it, if not and you have to go, then buy a dropper for intravenous injections and a syringe at the pharmacy, and pump out the excess through the oil dipstick.
In general, on these engines there is an increase in the oil level, because fuel gets into it, so it must be thoroughly burned periodically, moving along the highway for about 30 minutes

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I generally "short" the oil fill by a quart or half a quart, at least until I know the engine better (as in a NTM truck). After running the engine for a bit to make sure everything is good, I'll let it sit on a level surface so the oil can drain from the head(s). 15 or 20 minutes later I'll check the level and top it off.

There will always be a small amount of oil that doesn't make the change, so don't blindly fill it with the stated capacity value. After a few changes you'll get a feel for how much it will really need to get to the fill mark.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar