2017 Yukon..Vibrating sound coming from front left wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavesLEDrepair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a humming noise coming from the front driver side of my 2017 Yukon Xl . It has 73,000 miles on it. It sounds like it has aggressive mud tire on it. But it doesn’t! I’m thinking it might be a hub going bad ? When going down the freeway and it curved to the left the sound went away but when it curve to the left the sound is still there? I can’t decide if it’s a bad tire or a bad bearing hub? Anyone else this issue?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When going down the freeway and it curved to the left the sound went away but when it curve to the left the sound is still there?

I think one of the above directions of curve needs to be “right”.

That being said, if you turn left and the sound goes away and turn right it comes back or is worse, it is likely a wheel bearing.

Another check you can make is to jack up the front and grab the suspect wheel at 12 and 6 (top and bottom) and see if there is movement when you push/pull in and out.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a humming noise coming from the front driver side of my 2017 Yukon Xl . It has 73,000 miles on it. It sounds like it has aggressive mud tire on it. But it doesn’t! I’m thinking it might be a hub going bad ? When going down the freeway and it curved to the left the sound went away but when it curve to the left the sound is still there? I can’t decide if it’s a bad tire or a bad bearing hub? Anyone else this issue?
do you have the auto temp sensor above your head? that little fan makes a ton of noise

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree with Wade and Chris. You described classic hub bearing diagnostic and finding the failure. When you veer or curve right that loads the LF hub bearing. I would be amazed if it is not that hub bearing.

Last edited:

Gmfm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I had a driver side hub go bad on my 17 xl. @ 62k mi. Raise the vehicle grab tire at 12 and 6 o’clock and wiggle. Then 3 and 9 o’clock. There should be no play. The looseness (if it’s bad) sort of feels like your lug nuts are a little loose. You described the exact issues I had. All the research I found for cheap hubs were delco’s on amazon. They specify police package and they do fit our regular rigs. Make sure you buy a new axle nut. Cheapest I found was o’reillys for $7, some online places were around $30.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for Timken. If you must, Moog would be second best. If you do get ACDelco, aim for "Original". "Professional" should be okay but avoid "Advantage".

OP
OP
DavesLEDrepair

DavesLEDrepair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies! I suspected hub when I realized it was changing sounds on curves. I will definitely jack it up this weekend and check for play . Sounds like I gf ave a project to do now‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094