2017 with 42000 miles am I crazy to consider it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you solid on GMC or would you consider a Tahoe?

Last fall in Miami I bought my new 2017 Tahoe LT demo w 6k miles for 42k plus tax, title, dealer fees. Sticker was 56k. 2WD.

Which dealer in Miami was that? When I was looking for a Tahoe in October 2016 I could not make a decent deal in Miami-Dade or Broward County. A couple of them tried to get over on me. Ended up buying at Schumacher Chevrolet-GMC in North Palm Beach.

Csurp

Reaction score
AutoNation in Coral Gables.

There was a little over 4k in rebates at that time.

I went in on a Saturday afternoon and took a test ride.

I offered 40k. They were pretty stuck on 46k. I came up to 42k but told them that was it or I would go buy one that was fresh and not a demo.

It was all very polite.

They came back at 42,280 which I accepted. I assume that the 280 was for the salesman.

There was an additional 795 dealer fee and the usual tax, title and registration also.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not out of line at all. This price makes it even harder. I was looking at an slt, just for the bells and whistles. Didn't realize the current offers made it that low.
I'll definatly check into that.http://www.driveserra.com/VehicleDe...XL-4WD_4dr_SLE-Washington-MI/3149757203#close
I found an even better deal closer to me. Didnt realise they are marked this low.

Thanks.
Not sure what options/trim level is a must have for you?? Here is a new 2018 Yukon XL SLE at Laura for $47K. I completely understand a budget/ceiling purchase price but for an extra $7K to have a brand new truck with a full manufacturer bumper to bumper warranty vs. a 1-2 year old vehicle with 40K+ miles......... it's a no brainer to stretch a bit and go new. My apologies if I'm out of line in my thought process/suggestion but as a person who has owned over 20+ vehicles, settling on a high mile/out of warranty vehicle is a gamble. You have no warranty coverage and 40K miles is 2.5+ years of mileage assuming 15K/year. Throwing another $10K (or less) at this endeavor is going to land you a much better, lower risk vehicle that will be worth more money at a later date. Just some food for thought, regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck on your purchase!!

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/Vehic...kon_XL-4WD_4dr_SLE-Collinsville-IL/3208938343

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

formula271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 05 Yukon XL with 225000 miles. Been looking at the new Yukons and Suburbans.
I'm finding a lot of 1 and 2 year old with real high miles all past their warranty. The one I've liked so far is a 17 Yukon XL SLT with 42000 miles for around $40,000. It was a corporate lease vehicle. I know that's a lot of miles put on in a short amount of time. Good or bad I am assuming all of those miles were Highway otherwise how do you get that many my house driving in the city in less than a year.
I bought before but they were older never had a lot of problems. My Yukon is just starting to nickel-and-dime me so replacing it.
I plan on keeping the vehicle 5 years or more and putting another hundred thousand miles on it. So I definitely want something that's going to last.
Trying to find out if these new generation are just as reliable as the past. Just kind of looking for advice to find out where I should go on this.

Unless they are offering an extended warranty (at least 60K miles), you would be wise to avoid. Without warranty, you are exposing yourself to many well-documented (and $$$$) issues for which GM will offer zero assitance.

I would be curious about the detail of your '05 with 225000 miles you say is "nickel and diming" you. There are many '05 vehicles (maybe not GM vehicles) that are perfectly reliable and have had zero failed parts requiring replacement due to failure (my wife drives one of those vehicles).

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miami-Dade, csurp got a really good deal and at an AutoNation of all places. I have two in Orlando and I find them very hard to deal with plus the fact they try to **** you on your trade. Another Dealer beat their trade price by $5,000. They have a central location in the US somewhere that puts a value on your trade sight unseen and allegedly use a variety of variables. I just laughed and left.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless they are offering an extended warranty (at least 60K miles), you would be wise to avoid. Without warranty, you are exposing yourself to many well-documented (and $$$$) issues for which GM will offer zero assitance.

I would be curious about the detail of your '05 with 225000 miles you say is "nickel and diming" you. There are many '05 vehicles (maybe not GM vehicles) that are perfectly reliable and have had zero failed parts requiring replacement due to failure (my wife drives one of those vehicles).
Power steering pump, steering gear box, oil pressure sending unit, wheel bearing, fuel pump, knock sensor, evap, couple others in the past 3 years.
Still need fix, oil pan gasket, fly wheel, CS player/navigation. Rocker panels are rusting.
Not sure if you would call that Nike and dime, but it's more money then I care to out into it.

formula271

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Power steering pump, steering gear box, oil pressure sending unit, wheel bearing, fuel pump, knock sensor, evap, couple others in the past 3 years.
Still need fix, oil pan gasket, fly wheel, CS player/navigation. Rocker panels are rusting.
Not sure if you would call that Nike and dime, but it's more money then I care to out into it.

holy cow!

in all seriousness, for a 2005, does this not alarm you? 225,000 miles is not that many miles.

i've only been driving 20 years, and i've owned 2 cars that i've driven past 300,000 miles....had they required half the repairs you list, i would not have kept them in my garage. granted, some of the items you list are no so unexpected. but, my wife's 2005 Lexus RX330 is about to roll over 200,000mi and has required zero repairs since new....only tires, brakes, oil/filters....the typical maintenance and wear items. maybe we are exceptionally lucky with an unusually reliable vehicle, but comments like yours and my experience with my 2015 Suburban w/42,000mi make me a bit nervous about owning this vehicle past the warranty period.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy cow!

in all seriousness, for a 2005, does this not alarm you? 225,000 miles is not that many miles.

i've only been driving 20 years, and i've owned 2 cars that i've driven past 300,000 miles....had they required half the repairs you list, i would not have kept them in my garage. granted, some of the items you list are no so unexpected. but, my wife's 2005 Lexus RX330 is about to roll over 200,000mi and has required zero repairs since new....only tires, brakes, oil/filters....the typical maintenance and wear items. maybe we are exceptionally lucky with an unusually reliable vehicle, but comments like yours and my experience with my 2015 Suburban w/42,000mi make me a bit nervous about owning this vehicle past the warranty period.
I don't think it's that bad. Everything needs to be repaird at some point. It is 13 years old. Prior to 170k I only had a handful of repairs. Never burned oil. It just catches up to you.
I can say this vehicle never left me stranded on the side of the road. It's just time to retire it.
I can put 2k into and fixed all the problems, but with a book value of less then 4k, it's not worth it to me.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting funny, I think they are people who wait for the last moment to fix or look some parts of the car that need to be repaired.
Some others do not use the car that much or never go out of town and the cars last longer, others use a lot in different conditions and the car broke.
Doesn't matter the brand of the car if is USA, Japanese, German etc. They all broke and warranty is suck,the only thing is if you di not use the car off course will last forever.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP = 78,000 miles
2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS. = 62,000 "
2009 GMC Yukon Xl Denali = 79,000 "
2015 ". ". ". " = 68,000 "
2018. ". ". ". ". = 8,300 "
Work trucks
2003 Chevy 2500 197,000 "
2016. Ford transit 250 ecoboost 94,000 "

Only tires, oil, transmission, brakes all USA cars and I have the privilege to drive the best cars ever.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Csurp

Reaction score
Miami-Dade, csurp got a really good deal and at an AutoNation of all places. I have two in Orlando and I find them very hard to deal with plus the fact they try to **** you on your trade. Another Dealer beat their trade price by $5,000. They have a central location in the US somewhere that puts a value on your trade sight unseen and allegedly use a variety of variables. I just laughed and left.

I didn't have a trade so that made it pretty clear cut.

This was the end of October. The 18's were out and this was a 17 demo. I have heard that the dealers get a demo allowance for the vehicles that they use for that. ??

Right place at the right time I guess.

I really didn't want the Siren Red Tin Coat and it was a $500 option. But it has the Cocoa/Dune interior so actually looks pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick