2017 with 42000 miles am I crazy to consider it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 05 Yukon XL with 225000 miles. Been looking at the new Yukons and Suburbans.
I'm finding a lot of 1 and 2 year old with real high miles all past their warranty. The one I've liked so far is a 17 Yukon XL SLT with 42000 miles for around $40,000. It was a corporate lease vehicle. I know that's a lot of miles put on in a short amount of time. Good or bad I am assuming all of those miles were Highway otherwise how do you get that many my house driving in the city in less than a year.
I bought before but they were older never had a lot of problems. My Yukon is just starting to nickel-and-dime me so replacing it.
I plan on keeping the vehicle 5 years or more and putting another hundred thousand miles on it. So I definitely want something that's going to last.
Trying to find out if these new generation are just as reliable as the past. Just kind of looking for advice to find out where I should go on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you put a extra 10 k you can have a brand new 2108 Tahoe or Suburban. Lower trim will do.
And you do your magic later.
I'm looking to replace my 05 Yukon XL with 225000 miles. Been looking at the new Yukons and Suburbans.
I'm finding a lot of 1 and 2 year old with real high miles all past their warranty. The one I've liked so far is a 17 Yukon XL SLT with 42000 miles for around $40,000. It was a corporate lease vehicle. I know that's a lot of miles put on in a short amount of time. Good or bad I am assuming all of those miles were Highway otherwise how do you get that many my house driving in the city in less than a year.
I bought before but they were older never had a lot of problems. My Yukon is just starting to nickel-and-dime me so replacing it.
I plan on keeping the vehicle 5 years or more and putting another hundred thousand miles on it. So I definitely want something that's going to last.
Trying to find out if these new generation are just as reliable as the past. Just kind of looking for advice to find out where I should go on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you put a extra 10 k you can have a brand new 2108 Tahoe or Suburban. Lower trim will do.
And you do your magic later.

Unfortunately, 40k is my limit. Unless they can give me more then 5k for my trade which is extremely unlikely with a bad flywheel.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked a while. Was running into the same issue as you. 50k miles, $40k and the damn things were selling right away, not giving me an opportunity to negotiate. Drove from MI to the hills of KY to finally get one I wanted and liked last month. Just so you can compare, I bought a 2016 Tahoe LS with 22k miles, absolutely clean history (Carfax and had my buddies at GM run vin for any and all recalls and warranty work, build sheets), originally picked up in February of 2017, so I have bumper to bumper until Feb 2020, ordered with 20" wheels and a couple comfort options above the base LS, spotless inside, a few minor scratches I buffed out on the silver exterior, literally looks like a brand new lot car now. Under 36k all in, out the door. Hope this helps. They're out there, just need to look patiently and not be afraid to go out a few hundred miles.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked a while. Was running into the same issue as you. 50k miles, $40k and the damn things were selling right away, not giving me an opportunity to negotiate. Drove from MI to the hills of KY to finally get one I wanted and liked last month. Just so you can compare, I bought a 2016 Tahoe LS with 22k miles, absolutely clean history (Carfax and had my buddies at GM run vin for any and all recalls and warranty work, build sheets), originally picked up in February of 2017, so I have bumper to bumper until Feb 2020, ordered with 20" wheels and a couple comfort options above the base LS, spotless inside, a few minor scratches I buffed out on the silver exterior, literally looks like a brand new lot car now. Under 36k all in, out the door. Hope this helps. They're out there, just need to look patiently and not be afraid to go out a few hundred miles.

I wish I was able to look that far. This one has been sitting at the dealer since April and theyve only lowered the price once. Im thinking that if I was to decide on it I might be able to get a real good deal on it.

Last edited:

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a location thing buddy. It’s ridiculous, but even the “severe damage reported” Yukons and Tahoes flying off the used lots around here. I thought maybe it was a winter thing around me, maybe spring and summer would bring the prices down and supply up. I was wrong. Anyway, if they’ve had it that long and you love the truck, go for it, worst case scenario, you still have the 5/60 PT warranty

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be a location thing buddy. It’s ridiculous, but even the “severe damage reported” Yukons and Tahoes flying off the used lots around here. I thought maybe it was a winter thing around me, maybe spring and summer would bring the prices down and supply up. I was wrong. Anyway, if they’ve had it that long and you love the truck, go for it, worst case scenario, you still have the 5/60 PT warranty
Im on the other side of the state from you. And there are not many here, but they dont seem to be moving.
Im just not sure about the reliability of the new models with all the electronics in them. The5/60 is nice but Ill probably look into an extended warranty for a couple years just to make me fell better but that will add another 2k to the price. There is a certified Im going to look at this week, but its a wash on the price.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull all the service records on it. If it was serviced every 5K miles I would consider it. I have had my 2016 for less then 2 years and already have 41K miles and by the end of this month will have around 45K miles as I am making a Miami-NYC run right now. Mine goes in for service every 5K miles.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again lol, i think you will move soon to NY.
Pull all the service records on it. If it was serviced every 5K miles I would consider it. I have had my 2016 for less then 2 years and already have 41K miles and by the end of this month will have around 45K miles as I am making a Miami-NYC run right now. Mine goes in for service every 5K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645