2017 with 42000 miles am I crazy to consider it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting funny, I think they are people who wait for the last moment to fix or look some parts of the car that need to be repaired.
Some others do not use the car that much or never go out of town and the cars last longer, others use a lot in different conditions and the car broke.
Doesn't matter the brand of the car if is USA, Japanese, German etc. They all broke and warranty is suck,the only thing is if you di not use the car off course will last forever.

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP = 78,000 miles
2006 Chevy Trailblazer LS. = 62,000 "
2009 GMC Yukon Xl Denali = 79,000 "
2015 ". ". ". " = 68,000 "
2018. ". ". ". ". = 8,300 "
Work trucks
2003 Chevy 2500 197,000 "
2016. Ford transit 250 ecoboost 94,000 "

Only tires, oil, transmission, brakes all USA cars and I have the privilege to drive the best cars ever.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It all depends on how well you care for the vehicle. If you drive t like you stole it every day and beat the crap out of it, and don’t do anything to keep it maintained, it’s gonna seem like everything is gonna need to be fixed. Probably because it does. On the other hand if you take care of the small things right away they don’t turn into big things. Yes everything will need to be replaced at some point. But that’s how it goes owning a car.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what options/trim level is a must have for you?? Here is a new 2018 Yukon XL SLE at Laura for $47K. I completely understand a budget/ceiling purchase price but for an extra $7K to have a brand new truck with a full manufacturer bumper to bumper warranty vs. a 1-2 year old vehicle with 40K+ miles......... it's a no brainer to stretch a bit and go new. My apologies if I'm out of line in my thought process/suggestion but as a person who has owned over 20+ vehicles, settling on a high mile/out of warranty vehicle is a gamble. You have no warranty coverage and 40K miles is 2.5+ years of mileage assuming 15K/year. Throwing another $10K (or less) at this endeavor is going to land you a much better, lower risk vehicle that will be worth more money at a later date. Just some food for thought, regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck on your purchase!!

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/Vehic...kon_XL-4WD_4dr_SLE-Collinsville-IL/3208938343
The one at Laura is a service loaner — much like a daily rental.

dmad1

Reaction score
I have a couple of things that need repairing on my '17 that they have tried to repair and they finally gave up and said there was nothing they could do until the factory came up with a fix. One is a noise un under the passenger side dash. Sounds like a bearing out of the fan motor. They replaced it with no change. They then replaced the A/C compressor with no change. They then decided it was the A/C lines vibrating and ordered a bracket a service bulletin called for and it did not fit. I also have a buffeting noise around the drivers
window. They said something in the door was loose and tightened it with no change. The fan speed will not blow on the low mode. Says it is normal. This has been enough that I will not be buying a Silverado. Will be going to the dark side when ready for a truck. I would get rid of the '17 if I could afford to trade it.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 05 Yukon XL with 225000 miles. Been looking at the new Yukons and Suburbans.
I'm finding a lot of 1 and 2 year old with real high miles all past their warranty. The one I've liked so far is a 17 Yukon XL SLT with 42000 miles for around $40,000. It was a corporate lease vehicle. I know that's a lot of miles put on in a short amount of time. Good or bad I am assuming all of those miles were Highway otherwise how do you get that many my house driving in the city in less than a year.
I bought before but they were older never had a lot of problems. My Yukon is just starting to nickel-and-dime me so replacing it.
I plan on keeping the vehicle 5 years or more and putting another hundred thousand miles on it. So I definitely want something that's going to last.
Trying to find out if these new generation are just as reliable as the past. Just kind of looking for advice to find out where I should go on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If you haven't had to do a tranny overhaul on the Yukon, you are lucky. 100,000 to 150,000 miles on trannys has been my experience (and I tow trailers, so that probably shortens the life expectancy). Going price for a 6 speed overhaul is about $2600. So your nickels could turn to real dollars. Our 2011 Yukon XL has been higher maintenance than I would like. Warranty went to 100k, and we had an oil pump replacement under warranty. Replaced the radiator to deal with running hot when towing, but that didn't make any difference. Since then a tranny, an air suspension pump, a front hub, liftgate struts, plus the expected costs for routine maintenance. We are up to 165,000 miles now. Great driving SUV, but there is just a lot of stuff on them to maintain. Even a 17 will cost some nickels for maintenance.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a couple of things that need repairing on my '17 that they have tried to repair and they finally gave up and said there was nothing they could do until the factory came up with a fix. One is a noise un under the passenger side dash. Sounds like a bearing out of the fan motor. They replaced it with no change. They then replaced the A/C compressor with no change. They then decided it was the A/C lines vibrating and ordered a bracket a service bulletin called for and it did not fit. I also have a buffeting noise around the drivers
window. They said something in the door was loose and tightened it with no change. The fan speed will not blow on the low mode. Says it is normal. This has been enough that I will not be buying a Silverado. Will be going to the dark side when ready for a truck. I would get rid of the '17 if I could afford to trade it.
I'd find another dealer/shop. they sounds like they don't know what they are doing and are making excuses.

Yukon1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my 05 Yukon XL with 225000 miles. Been looking at the new Yukons and Suburbans.
I'm finding a lot of 1 and 2 year old with real high miles all past their warranty. The one I've liked so far is a 17 Yukon XL SLT with 42000 miles for around $40,000. It was a corporate lease vehicle. I know that's a lot of miles put on in a short amount of time. Good or bad I am assuming all of those miles were Highway otherwise how do you get that many my house driving in the city in less than a year.
I bought before but they were older never had a lot of problems. My Yukon is just starting to nickel-and-dime me so replacing it.
I plan on keeping the vehicle 5 years or more and putting another hundred thousand miles on it. So I definitely want something that's going to last.
Trying to find out if these new generation are just as reliable as the past. Just kind of looking for advice to find out where I should go on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't buy just yet. The end of year sales are coming up shortly, and you can get a brand new or demo for that 40k. If not you can get a certified pre-owned unit with a warranty for that price. You have to be willing to travel to get a good price.

I live in Chicago and the prices are ****** here, but I looked on cars.com and focused on 300 miles out. I found two that were a year old, were both certified pre-owned with a factory warranty which is the only way to buy one used, and both had under 17k. I paid 39500 for mine and the certified pre-owned GM warranty will make you more comfortable with the purchase.

If 40k is your limit, add 3k to it and just wait a few weeks. Sign up on cars.com with the vehicle you want, and they will send you an email every time one comes up.

Also look at the GMC Yukon as well as the Tahoe, you would be surprised at the deals that will come up. But don't but a 2017 truck with 40k on it because by the time you add an extended warranty to the mix, you've already paid for a new demo or certified pre-owned truck that includes a warranty.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't had to do a tranny overhaul on the Yukon, you are lucky. 100,000 to 150,000 miles on trannys has been my experience (and I tow trailers, so that probably shortens the life expectancy). Going price for a 6 speed overhaul is about $2600. So your nickels could turn to real dollars. Our 2011 Yukon XL has been higher maintenance than I would like. Warranty went to 100k, and we had an oil pump replacement under warranty. Replaced the radiator to deal with running hot when towing, but that didn't make any difference. Since then a tranny, an air suspension pump, a front hub, liftgate struts, plus the expected costs for routine maintenance. We are up to 165,000 miles now. Great driving SUV, but there is just a lot of stuff on them to maintain. Even a 17 will cost some nickels for maintenance.
No transmission issue except for the current flywheel. No major engine trouble. Its been good but its now 13 years old. Time for something new, if I can afford it.

carlschmarl2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New guy here...

Always been a FORD guy (2013 Raptor as my daily) but the wife wants a new grocery car and kid hauler and she likes the looks of the Yukons.

We're looking at a used 2015 Yukon SLT with 40,000 miles for $35k.

I wasn't impressed the motor/tranny in the Tahoes/Yukons...they lack some "get-up-and-go" IMO as compared to the Expeditions. But I do prefer the looks over the Expy.

Any known issues on the 2015 Yukons that I should be aware of?

I wish we could find a decent used Yukon with the 6.2...

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep looking and widen your search a little if you really want a 6.2. It needs to be a 15.5 built after October 15, 2014. Look at autotrader, cars.com, carguru ect. Someone just posted two 2 links(I will try to find them) that would probably answer your questions but of course test drive is your best bet, condition of the vehicle which should be an indication of how it was taken care of and the carfax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep