2016 Yukon XL Needs New Transmission - Not Happy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank God I bought an extended warranty on this thing......

View attachment 266309

yes, a good purchase. Mine has served me well on my ‘15.

Trans fluid changes (pan and filter) should be done 45k without question on these, especially 8 and 10 speeds.

That warranty has taken care of:
Fuel pump
Many sensors
Battery cable
Seat lumbar
Fuel injector
My MRC struts
GPS antenna
And prob more items I’m forgetting

normally I don’t buy them, but with the ‘15 model year change I wanted to be safe.

briarpatch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yes, a good purchase. Mine has served me well on my ‘15.

Trans fluid changes (pan and filter) should be done 45k without question on these, especially 8 and 10 speeds.

That warranty has taken care of:
Fuel pump
Many sensors
Battery cable
Seat lumbar
Fuel injector
My MRC struts
GPS antenna
And prob more items I’m forgetting

normally I don’t buy them, but with the ‘15 model year change I wanted to be safe.

Yup.....bought extended warranties on both of our Toyotas.....they turned out to be a waste of money....traded an 08 Sequoia in on the Tahoe.....146k on the odometer......in 12 years....only thing to break was a water pump.....2013 Tundra going strong at 101k miles....no issues.....wife wanted the Tahoe because it was prettier and had more creature comforts.....so far, the only thing I like about it is the paint

Labelworkshop75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Denali 60k with 6 speed 6L80 here. Torque converter just started to grind/shutter intermittently. Going into an independant transmission shop for a TC. Hope it hasn't sent metal through the trans and destroyed it. Fingers crossed.

Are the OEM TC replacements built with upgraded/revised internal compenments? Would hate to install the same junk TC and have simialr problems in another 60k. Assuming remanufactured/replacment units are beefier than the original OEM unit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
2015 Denali 60k with 6 speed 6L80 here. Torque converter just started to grind/shutter intermittently. Going into an independant transmission shop for a TC. Hope it hasn't sent metal through the trans and destroyed it. Fingers crossed.

Are the OEM TC replacements built with upgraded/revised internal compenments? Would hate to install the same junk TC and have simialr problems in another 60k. Assuming remanufactured/replacment units are beefier than the original OEM unit.

Welcome on your first post but you would be better served by posting a whole separate thread of your concern. Maybe a mod will see this and move it for you or you can copy and paste and start a new one in this section.

If you are going in to a transmission shop I would cover your concerns with them but some here can respond with info.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems is with the torque converter is junk.It was redesigned after the 4 spd. and to this day is very prone to failure.There is a video earlier in this thread and it shows the failure of the components. The 4L60 has a good converter but the 6 spd. 8 spd. are cheaply built. The only cure is a none GM part as in quality after market converter.There is other parts that should be replaced also that wear prematurely.

OP
OP
N

nokuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It was suggested to me to go with a billet TC instead of a factory one. We just went with what the dealership was installing in the new tranny since it came with a 3 yr 100k mike warranty.

Labelworkshop75

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems is with the torque converter is junk.It was redesigned after the 4 spd. and to this day is very prone to failure.There is a video earlier in this thread and it shows the failure of the components. The 4L60 has a good converter but the 6 spd. 8 spd. are cheaply built. The only cure is a none GM part as in quality after market converter.There is other parts that should be replaced also that wear prematurely.

Decided to go with a billet TC from Florida Torque Converter. Cost around $500. https://www.floridatorqueconverters.com/Torque-Converter-77-JMBXSD.html

I never ran across a video link in the thread.

Curious to know the other components you mnentioned as likely to wear prematurely.

Thanks.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 valves that need to be replaced as the GM ones are composite and start leaking pressure.There are other items to be replaced that a good Trans. shop would do in a rebuild.My rebuilt trans now shifts much better than new and should last .When it shifts you can feel it and it down shifts much better and you can feel it also.It almost feels like it has a shift kit in it.Nothing radical just better not mushy slush shifts.Slow and soft shifts equate to lots of heat and wear.Soft shifts happen as one gear lets go while the next one starts engaging causing wear and heat,nice and soft but problematic.The GM torque converter is not up graded so get a good one. The trans oil pump is another possibility so make sure it is checked.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 valves that need to be replaced as the GM ones are composite and start leaking pressure.There are other items to be replaced that a good Trans. shop would do in a rebuild.My rebuilt trans now shifts much better than new and should last .When it shifts you can feel it and it down shifts much better and you can feel it also.It almost feels like it has a shift kit in it.Nothing radical just better not mushy slush shifts.Slow and soft shifts equate to lots of heat and wear.Soft shifts happen as one gear lets go while the next one starts engaging causing wear and heat,nice and soft but problematic.The GM torque converter is not up graded so get a good one. The trans oil pump is another possibility so make sure it is checked.

This exactly. Also the pressure regulator and boost valve in the pump love to wear the bore and require machining. A good builder will rework the bore and put in a oversized kit that provides more progressive pressures and improve the life of the valve. Lots of other little upgrades to be done as well throughout. Basically a good builder will fix what GM did a poor job on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon