2016 Yukon XL Needs New Transmission - Not Happy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
& there is not a plug by default on the trans pan... so more than likely just a saying he is used to stating ;)

I’d thoroughly enjoy talking to the service guy who said they pulled the “plug”. Haha!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love all the class action law suits that floating around out there for GM trucks...........you might get $50 after everything is said and done.

The only person that makes out in the class action shit is the lawyers and their firms.

Everyone said the 4L60e were junk too.......The one in my 99 yukon had nothing but trans filud and filters done annually by me and the pervious owner......I sold it with 240,000 miles running like a boss. The only thing I rebuilt was the transfer case.

My next Tahoe will be another PPV, but waiting on the '21+ model for that sweet 10L80 or 10L90e

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's 2016 Yukon Xl 4x4 began shuddering on the highway Thursday night. She was 2 hours from home. Was able to limp to a nearby GM dealer and I drove the 4 hour round trip to rescue her. :mad: The service advisor called us yesterday morning and explained that they pulled the plug (maybe pan) and that there was a large amount of metal shavings in the fluid. They are recommending a complete transmission replacement to the tune of $4,900! Only 80K on the clock and she is diligent about keeping up with service requirements. Merry :favorites68: Christmas. 2020 just keeps on giving. Interestingly, our previous 2011 had the same exact issue at a bit over 100K. I've owned 7 Tahoes/Yukons since 1997 and all but these last two have been fantastic and have never had issues such as these. I reached out to a trusted person in the transmission field and they told me that the transmissions in my wife's vehicle has known issues. Apparently the torque converter is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate issue?

Here is another thing that begs to question.... So the warranty when brand new is 60K miles. This rebuild/remanufactured unit that they are suggesting we install carries a 100K mile warranty. Maybe someone can explain that one to me.

Did you have the original trans serviced ever? Have not seen a response on if it was ever serviced.

Filter and fluid every 45k

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To put the lawyers kids through college and the plaintiffs get a check for $4.
LOL, provided they actually get the notification card, fill it out, register as a plaintiff and provide service records of expenses..... as you said, for a 4.86 check... But the attorneys get 40% of that sweet 50 million dollar settlement and GM gets to keep the "unclaimed" balance, (usually about 30% of the 50% left over after the attorneys take their cut).
A cynic is just an optimist with experience.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have the original trans serviced ever? Have not seen a response on if it was ever serviced.

Filter and fluid every 45k

interesting, the severe duty schedule only lists fluid flush @ 45k
my SW said same. then do filter @ 90k-ish
i plan to do filter @ 75k

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I had the torque convertor go on my 8 speed at 103,000 and with letters to BBB and GM corporate I was able to get them to cover most of it. If that's what you have, there is a TSB for the torque convertor that is junk. I switched the trans fluid to Amsoil after I got 40k on the repair. Shifts much better than the factory fluid and will last a lot longer.

dcyy

Reaction score
Wife's 2016 Yukon Xl 4x4 began shuddering on the highway Thursday night. She was 2 hours from home. Was able to limp to a nearby GM dealer and I drove the 4 hour round trip to rescue her. :mad: The service advisor called us yesterday morning and explained that they pulled the plug (maybe pan) and that there was a large amount of metal shavings in the fluid. They are recommending a complete transmission replacement to the tune of $4,900! Only 80K on the clock and she is diligent about keeping up with service requirements. Merry :favorites68: Christmas. 2020 just keeps on giving. Interestingly, our previous 2011 had the same exact issue at a bit over 100K. I've owned 7 Tahoes/Yukons since 1997 and all but these last two have been fantastic and have never had issues such as these. I reached out to a trusted person in the transmission field and they told me that the transmissions in my wife's vehicle has known issues. Apparently the torque converter is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate issue?

Here is another thing that begs to question.... So the warranty when brand new is 60K miles. This rebuild/remanufactured unit that they are suggesting we install carries a 100K mile warranty. Maybe someone can explain that one to me.
Same thing happened to my 16-here's the TSB 16-NA-175 Dealer replaced torque converter under warranty

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Severe service (which most of us drive, unless you’re on highway at steady speed all the time) states 45k:

‘Change automatic transmission fluid, if equipped. If filter is serviceable, change filter. (Applies to: Severe)’
Change trans

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts