2016 Yukon XL Needs New Transmission - Not Happy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nokuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife's 2016 Yukon Xl 4x4 began shuddering on the highway Thursday night. She was 2 hours from home. Was able to limp to a nearby GM dealer and I drove the 4 hour round trip to rescue her. :mad: The service advisor called us yesterday morning and explained that they pulled the plug (maybe pan) and that there was a large amount of metal shavings in the fluid. They are recommending a complete transmission replacement to the tune of $4,900! Only 80K on the clock and she is diligent about keeping up with service requirements. Merry :favorites68: Christmas. 2020 just keeps on giving. Interestingly, our previous 2011 had the same exact issue at a bit over 100K. I've owned 7 Tahoes/Yukons since 1997 and all but these last two have been fantastic and have never had issues such as these. I reached out to a trusted person in the transmission field and they told me that the transmissions in my wife's vehicle has known issues. Apparently the torque converter is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate issue?

Here is another thing that begs to question.... So the warranty when brand new is 60K miles. This rebuild/remanufactured unit that they are suggesting we install carries a 100K mile warranty. Maybe someone can explain that one to me.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To help explain the warranty. The initial new vehicle warranty is what is mandated and also there to be competitive with other vehicle manufacturers. They are not going to warranty forever and bear in mind, the initial trans has basic components in it. The new or reman trans is built after all the bugs have been figured out and newer better designed components are used to build it and therefore that warranty can be bumped up. You can bet the weak torque converter has been redesigned and is likely an aftermarket one as well. The thing to remember is that depending on who the warranty is with can also come in to play. Warranty companies close up shop and open under a new name in a new state, all the time. The GM warranty is around because where is GM gonna go. I hope I said that right and did not make it confusing.

Also, in the 80k miles on the old trans, when was it serviced, if at all?

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's 2016 Yukon Xl 4x4 began shuddering on the highway Thursday night. She was 2 hours from home. Was able to limp to a nearby GM dealer and I drove the 4 hour round trip to rescue her. :mad: The service advisor called us yesterday morning and explained that they pulled the plug (maybe pan) and that there was a large amount of metal shavings in the fluid. They are recommending a complete transmission replacement to the tune of $4,900! Only 80K on the clock and she is diligent about keeping up with service requirements. Merry :favorites68: Christmas. 2020 just keeps on giving. Interestingly, our previous 2011 had the same exact issue at a bit over 100K. I've owned 7 Tahoes/Yukons since 1997 and all but these last two have been fantastic and have never had issues such as these. I reached out to a trusted person in the transmission field and they told me that the transmissions in my wife's vehicle has known issues. Apparently the torque converter is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate issue?

Here is another thing that begs to question.... So the warranty when brand new is 60K miles. This rebuild/remanufactured unit that they are suggesting we install carries a 100K mile warranty. Maybe someone can explain that one to me.
If you have the 8 speed transmission then you got a lot of life out of it. many don't last that long. if a 6 speed, then you have something to complain about.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Wow...hopefully the dealership isn’t trying to take you for a ride as there will be sludgy metal on the magnet. Did you ever check the fluid level while hot and with the engine running? Perhaps it was simply a bit low.

And I’m also curious about any service that was done to it.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torque converter has known TSBs.
there are threads on many forums about it.

as others have inquired.... hopefully your trans was serviced prior to your current mileage.

& there is not a plug by default on the trans pan... so more than likely just a saying he is used to stating ;)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Start changing the fluid on the new one every 40K. Consider dumping the thermostat attached to the side of the transmission too, no need for it to run at 195 all the time.

ACHood1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

ACHood1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have the SAME EXACT problem. I’m not paying $4500 for a new transmission that will be more of the same junk. I’m going to a transmission shop and let them do what needs to be done.

There’s a class action lawsuit against GM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts