2016 Yukon XL Needs New Transmission - Not Happy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbenson

Reaction score
A bit late to this post... but I have 171,500 miles on my 2015 Denali with the 8 speed. TSB for fluid performed at 131,000.. about time to flush the fluid again. New fluid fixed all my issues. I drive mostly highway which I only assume helps.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
Excuse me if some of this was already mentioned. My torque converter went at 103,000 and I got GM to replace it and do a transmission flush. It only cost me a few hundred dollars. The problem is the torque converter blew garbage into the trans. There is a TSB on this and the shudder is the tell. Get GM to fix it, it's covered in full to 100k. Also I switched to Amsoil instead of the GM trans fluid, way better. Resolved all the issues with the 8 speed. I also did some tuning on the shift points and now this is the best automatic I have ever owned. Driving easy it shifts so smooth you can't feel it, stomp on it and I get rubber in second with 33" tires. Best of all the bang you would get when stopping has gone away as well. I also recommend Amsoil for the engine as well. Everyone else had to reformulate to prevent LSPI, Amsoil didn't. With the direct injection the PCV recirculation is a problem so I added a catch can. With Amsoil I get about 3 tablespoons of water condensation after 10k miles. Amsoil helped me get 360k on my 03 Suburban that I still have and still runs smoother than any of my newer vehicles.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Excuse me if some of this was already mentioned. My torque converter went at 103,000 and I got GM to replace it and do a transmission flush. It only cost me a few hundred dollars. The problem is the torque converter blew garbage into the trans. There is a TSB on this and the shudder is the tell. Get GM to fix it, it's covered in full to 100k. Also I switched to Amsoil instead of the GM trans fluid, way better. Resolved all the issues with the 8 speed. I also did some tuning on the shift points and now this is the best automatic I have ever owned. Driving easy it shifts so smooth you can't feel it, stomp on it and I get rubber in second with 33" tires. Best of all the bang you would get when stopping has gone away as well. I also recommend Amsoil for the engine as well. Everyone else had to reformulate to prevent LSPI, Amsoil didn't. With the direct injection the PCV recirculation is a problem so I added a catch can. With Amsoil I get about 3 tablespoons of water condensation after 10k miles. Amsoil helped me get 360k on my 03 Suburban that I still have and still runs smoother than any of my newer vehicles.
Hey ThisIsLivin...do you have any info on that TSB you mentioned? My dealer wants me to foot the bill for a torque converter. 2016 Yukon, 6.2L w/8 speed, flush done at 29,000 miles, now shudder back at 52,000mi, and out of warranty. Told them to do the flush again. Hopefully with work for a while. Hoping to get another 20,000mi out of it before trading it in for something other other then GM.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey ThisIsLivin...do you have any info on that TSB you mentioned? My dealer wants me to foot the bill for a torque converter. 2016 Yukon, 6.2L w/8 speed, flush done at 29,000 miles, now shudder back at 52,000mi, and out of warranty. Told them to do the flush again. Hopefully with work for a while. Hoping to get another 20,000mi out of it before trading it in for something other other then GM.
@Budcat if you want his/her attention, put @ in front of his/her screen name and they will get a notice, like @ThisIsLivin.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's 2016 Yukon Xl 4x4 began shuddering on the highway Thursday night. She was 2 hours from home. Was able to limp to a nearby GM dealer and I drove the 4 hour round trip to rescue her. :mad: The service advisor called us yesterday morning and explained that they pulled the plug (maybe pan) and that there was a large amount of metal shavings in the fluid. They are recommending a complete transmission replacement to the tune of $4,900! Only 80K on the clock and she is diligent about keeping up with service requirements. Merry :favorites68: Christmas. 2020 just keeps on giving. Interestingly, our previous 2011 had the same exact issue at a bit over 100K. I've owned 7 Tahoes/Yukons since 1997 and all but these last two have been fantastic and have never had issues such as these. I reached out to a trusted person in the transmission field and they told me that the transmissions in my wife's vehicle has known issues. Apparently the torque converter is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced this unfortunate issue?

Here is another thing that begs to question.... So the warranty when brand new is 60K miles. This rebuild/remanufactured unit that they are suggesting we install carries a 100K mile warranty. Maybe someone can explain that one to me.
Unfortunately your experience is common (if you have the 8 speed). It's the price to play, so just replace it and go on.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
Seems like the 8L90 is the gift that keeps giving. It appears now I am having issues with the valve body and now when it's been driven for awhile on the freeway it revs up between shifts. I changed the fluid not to long ago and haven't put more than 30k between changes. I think there is a procedure I can run using HP Tuners software that may resolve the issue. Now I'm just waiting for the second production year of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

StuartMiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I joined just to seek education. I have a 2016 yukon xl slt 5.3L 4wd. Purchased 1.5 years ago with 100k miles and now has 140k miles on it. Turns out the trans was replaced before I bought it. I noticed odd fluttering with trans since day one but figured it’s just how the newer trannys do things. I’m used to old four speeds mostly. Recently a mechanic friend said I’ll need to replace it soon after he witnessed the flutter.

Seems to drive great just has the odd flutter.

What say this group? Will I be replacing it? Is my equipment even involved since mine isn’t a Denali? Are there things I can do to protect my gear? If I have to replace it, is there a bullet proof option so I don’t have to worry about it again?

All advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas