2016 Suburban needs new transmission - 88k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hockeyguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sold my 2013 Tahoe and upgraded to a 2016 Suburban because I just had my 4th kid and we need the room.

Bought the Suburban in December with 85k miles on it. It came with 3 month/3k mile powertrain warranty that expired 2 months ago and now the transmission is gone on it.

Local transmission shop has quoted me about $4500 to rebuild it. Wondering if that is a fair price or if I should go the route of a new transmission altogether?

Reaction score
Sucks, sorry to hear...

Does that $4500 include R/R, fluid, line & cooler flushing and a new torque converter?

What are they doing to the transmission, specifically (ie what parts will be installed)?

The 2011+ 6L80Es contain a bunch of updates/design changes that make them more reliable than earlier units but there's still some areas that need to be addressed.

OP
OP
H

hockeyguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a rough breakdown of what he said:
R/R
rebuild both orig trans and torque converter (HD)
bell housing and pump get machined
new vain and rotor kit
2 transgo reprogramming kits
update kit for the thermal bypass valve
all new pistons
and maybe some other details I missed

Reaction score
Here is a rough breakdown of what he said:
R/R
rebuild both orig trans and torque converter (HD)
bell housing and pump get machined
new vain and rotor kit
2 transgo reprogramming kits
update kit for the thermal bypass valve
all new pistons
and maybe some other details I missed

I'd circle back to them and find out any details you may have missed...Two Transgo reprogramming kits? My guess is they're installing the SK6L80E reprogramming kit, Clutch Select Valve kit (The clutch select valves actually come in the reprogramming kit) and perhaps the Pump Pressure Regulator valve repair kit. All of those are great updates (must haves IMO) or their Sonnax equivalents (doesn't matter, as long as a VB/Hydraulic improvement kit is being installed). I'd also install the Sonnax compensator feed regulator valve kit if wear is detected when they test the VB. When that valve wears sufficiently, it causes harsh, clunky and/or bumpy shifts because it can no longer smooth out the clutch-to-clutch transition as the transmission applies and releases various clutch packs when shifting through the gears (laymen's explanation). They should have a Sonnax vacuum hydraulic clutch circuit tester (or equivalent)...my standard is 15 inches of vacuum to consider a clutch circuit to be healthy (stock applications) or 20 inches (HD or high performance).

I would also install the Sonnax billet aluminum 1-2-3-4 piston. While your trans has the updated design (it changed in 2010) they can still crack, though its much less likely but I install the Sonnax version as it's built a lot better than either of the GM versions. This is in addition to the molded steel/rubber pistons / piston dams that are to be replaced.

New spacer plate and check balls as those also like to wear, get stuck in the plate or clog passages causing a myriad of drivability problems.

Bell Housing and Pump machine - I also have this done and install, new pump internals as well as the Sonnax front end play washer that's .020 thicker than stock to preserve factory-set end play (.015-.035) as set from the factory (I will shim it down further to .006-.010 for high performance). End play is the amount of space the 3-5-Reverse drum has to travel from it's most rearward position to when it hits the that washer on the rear of the pump assembly.

@NickTransmissions ^^^

Any idea what a remanufactured trans might cost or how I could find out?
GM remanned units are available and I believe come w/ a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. Folks here also use Jasper but I'd confirm what their warranty claim process looks like if you ever have to use it (i.e. would you need to ship the transmission back to them or would they send you to a shop in your area to have the work done and if so, who pays for the shop's work?). You have to check pricing as I never order a reman unit for any reason.

Are they replacing or reusing the electronics (TEHCM, Internal Mode Switch, Wiring Harness and Speed Sensors)?
The pricing seems to indicate not but you can confirm/deny.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks @NickTransmissions! It looks like I have some more digging to to but you are helping a lot. I wish I could take it to you here in southern california
You're welcome. Im in Vegas but i wouldnt recommend you use me given the distance and fact that you'd have to get it back to me if something went wrong after install.

Plus you need someone to do the "fast adapt relearn" who has a scan tool capable of doing so and the vehicle with trans reinstalled as I only do bench-carry out rebuilds (I never see the vehicle itself).

One last thing - make sure they replace the parking rod. The rivet on the end mushrooms and fails, preventing you from putting the vehicle into "Park". GM finally updated the design in 2018 with one that doesnt come apart...more details.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2013 Tahoe and upgraded to a 2016 Suburban because I just had my 4th kid and we need the room.

Bought the Suburban in December with 85k miles on it. It came with 3 month/3k mile powertrain warranty that expired 2 months ago and now the transmission is gone on it.

Local transmission shop has quoted me about $4500 to rebuild it. Wondering if that is a fair price or if I should go the route of a new transmission altogether?
Moved you here from the 2021+section