2016 Suburban LT Fog Lamps install with OEM switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian80

Reaction score
It’s the Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) voltage the BCM sends to the low beam circuit. The most likely cause of the buzzing is the combination of the pulsed voltage and the LED bulbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In daytime because the DRL is active. If I turn the headlight switch to ON, buzzing dissapears, same if it gets dark. Any other sugestion to power the switch? It is a aftermarket switch that I am using, I had the foglights installed before you were making the harneses and just don't have the will and the time to change it right now. Which wire should I tap into for a constant 12V? I just need the fogs to turn off if I turn off engine in case I forget them on.

Christian80

Reaction score
It’s the Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) voltage the BCM sends to the low beam circuit. The most likely cause of the buzzing is the combination of the pulsed voltage and the LED bulbs.

In daytime because the DRL is active. If I turn the headlight switch to ON, buzzing dissapears, same if it gets dark. Any other sugestion to power the switch? It is a aftermarket switch that I am using, I had the foglights installed before you were making the harneses and just don't have the will and the time to change it right now. Which wire should I tap into for a constant 12V? I just need the fogs to turn off if I turn off engine in case I forget them on.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is the switch you’re using energizing a relay for the fogs or is it providing direct power to them?

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Gotcha. Where is your fog lamp switch mounted? There are run/ignition voltage places at the fuse block on the left side of the dash and at the X61A junction block. I’ll respond to your email with specifics.

Ryan Beard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those interested, I offer a fog lamp harness that gives you as close to factory functionality as possible without BCM programming.

Send me an email to [email protected]. There are three wires that need to be present inside the cabin. If they are not, I can supply the terminated leads to add them.

The current version will allow your fog lamps to stay on with the high beams. I'm working on a version that will turn them off when the high beams are on for those in states that prohibit them staying on.

Here's a video link where I go over the harness and its install.

Hey Matt,

I'd really like to know more about your wiring harness. I did send you an email about it yesterday .
I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe and I believe I saw someone inquire about the same.
Is this still available? Along with the factory switch?

I am trying to make a decision on what to do about my current install.
I have taken it to a local shop, before I saw this post. I preferably don't want to involve this shop further as they have worked them to the headlights and consequently, I can't control them.
When asked about the install, there is a reluctancy to install a switch even though I requested such..they "didn't know I wanted a switch" and want to charge me extra to install it, probably some knock off thing.
Plus, I really don't want them too after this.

I also would like to get as close to factory install standards as possible.

Anyway, if this is still available...Please, let me know.
Thank You,
Ryan

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

I'd really like to know more about your wiring harness. I did send you an email about it yesterday .
I have a 2020 Chevy Tahoe and I believe I saw someone inquire about the same.
Is this still available? Along with the factory switch?

I am trying to make a decision on what to do about my current install.
I have taken it to a local shop, before I saw this post. I preferably don't want to involve this shop further as they have worked them to the headlights and consequently, I can't control them.
When asked about the install, there is a reluctancy to install a switch even though I requested such..they "didn't know I wanted a switch" and want to charge me extra to install it, probably some knock off thing.
Plus, I really don't want them too after this.

I also would like to get as close to factory install standards as possible.

Anyway, if this is still available...Please, let me know.
Thank You,
Ryan
Hi Ryan. Yes, I’m still actively building these and other harnesses. I did respond to your email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Beard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all - I have a 2019 Tahoe LT that did not come with factory fog lights. My plan was to install some - and after researching I decided I wanted to be able to control them separately from the headlights (so that eliminated the Gen5diy kit - that only allows your aftermarket fogs to be turned on with the headlights). I also did not want some funky looking after-market switch connected under the dash, or stick-taped to anything so I did some digging into cmatt's solution. Matt had me check some factory wiring to determine if I could use his kit on my vehicle. A couple of the wires did not match up to what Matt had in his diagrams, so after some emails back and forth with him it was theorized that I had a "fleet" vehicle. A quick check of the code in the door jam/VIN confirmed this. Matt had me test for voltage at other wires and after reporting back he said "no problem - I got you covered!" I ordered his harness and a set of LED fogs from CARID (https://www.carid.com/2019-chevy-tahoe-fog-lights/lumen-projector-led-fog-lights-1233543783.html) and away I went. Getting the actual lights installed was super easy, trying to find a way to run the wire from the junction box under the hood to the fogs proved to be difficult, at least different, from what I was expecting.

Matt's directions were to run the wire from the junction box (see "c" in my photo below), along the hood release cable, across the top of the frame over the radiator, down the side of the passenger headlight (see "b" on the photo" connecting the lead from the junction box to the harness that connected to both fog lights under the vehicle. On my Tahoe I could not find a good path on that side of the engine bay to run the wire and I was not able to remove the grill to run the wire - at point "a" on the picture the grill appeared attached to the bumper in a way that I could not separate the two - so I set off to find another path.
View attachment 234002

Point "c" shows the junction box, so after following Matt's INCREDIBLY detailed instructions on how to access the box, and add the necessary wire, I found a path through hole with the upper arrow. You can see the same wire where the lower arrow points. This put the connection directly at the driver's side behind the newly installed fog lights.

View attachment 234003
I swapped the connection between the two fogs so the wire from the junction box could now be connected on the driver's side. Now at this point, the fog lights are in, and wired to the junction box.

Matt provided me with a link to a really good deal on ebay for an OEM headlight switch WITH factory fog lights - so I swapped that, and wired the rest of his harness per his instructions and videos. At one point I got stuck and could not locate a connector Matt referred to in his instructions - so I reached out and he responded with another picture, and video to help me out. After that I was all wired up - a quick test revealed everything was working PERFECTLY.

A couple of notes with the way this worked in my Tahoe:
  • there is no fog light indicator on the dashboard that comes on when you turn the lights on and off - no big deal, you can tell they're on
  • I can turn the fog lights on no matter what the headlights are doing. On, off, brights, parking lamps, it does not matter I have complete control over the fog lights -through the OEM switch.
  • Matt's kit does NOT require running any wires from the cabin to the engine bay
  • Matt's kit utilizes the factory fuse for the fog lights
  • the relay box that Matt provides needs to be "secured" to something under the dash. I ended up using velcro tape and attaching it to the back of the BCM to keep it out of the way
  • NO FACTORY WIRES WERE HARMED IN THE INSTALLATION OF THESE LIGHTS AND MATT'S KIT! Everything can easily be undone, and what's better the install looks mostly OEM anyway!
Photo of before:
View attachment 234004
Photo of after:
View attachment 234005

All in all - I am VERY pleased with the look, the investment (time AND money) and the support/help Matt provided. If you're thinking about doing it - do it - I HIGHLY recommend his kit!

I'd also like to add my name to the recommended list.
I also HIGHLY recommend Matt's Kit!
The videos, the 28 minute one and Matt's extra instructions via email, guided me though the harness wiring from the lights to the junction/fuse box under the hood, as well as inside the cabin.
He broke every step down to where I could understand it and follow along....I had no clue, but I've learned a lot by doing this.

My vehicle: 2020 Tahoe LT. No pre-wires from factory...just those plastic covers where the lights go.
Aside: I did initially go to a local custom shop where the lights were installed....but their wiring, though not "invasive", was sub-par, putting it nicely, and were wired to the headlights, uncontrollable.
Thankfully, was able to remove what was done...no factory damaged components...After watching Matt's videos, I decided I could do it...

I wired mine the exact same way as Michael, similar issue...needed to have taken apart more components on that right side...But the left side was super simple. Harness from fusebox went virtually straight down to where the harness to the lights were....on the driver side.

Had to run power from the side panel area down to the cabin junction box, because of what was present from the factory.
Matt's instructions made all this super simple....and I really don't like messing with wires:)...but was easy to do.
It took me about 4 hours, BUT I have only basic tools and I wanted to go very slow and easy, plus 49yrs old eyes:)...but a most methodical process...I didn't see that time passing...was a great project!

Same thing:
No routing through to the engine bay!!
Factory like install, yes, utilizing the OEM switch!!...this is what I was hoping to be about to do.

Anybody looking to do this...you can and it looks great...I can't tell that it's not from the factory!!
Super worth the investment!!

Sorry that I don't have a before pic...but posting my after pic.

Big Thanks Matt!
Ryan Beard

626825.jpg

Ryan Beard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all - I have a 2019 Tahoe LT that did not come with factory fog lights. My plan was to install some - and after researching I decided I wanted to be able to control them separately from the headlights (so that eliminated the Gen5diy kit - that only allows your aftermarket fogs to be turned on with the headlights). I also did not want some funky looking after-market switch connected under the dash, or stick-taped to anything so I did some digging into cmatt's solution. Matt had me check some factory wiring to determine if I could use his kit on my vehicle. A couple of the wires did not match up to what Matt had in his diagrams, so after some emails back and forth with him it was theorized that I had a "fleet" vehicle. A quick check of the code in the door jam/VIN confirmed this. Matt had me test for voltage at other wires and after reporting back he said "no problem - I got you covered!" I ordered his harness and a set of LED fogs from CARID (https://www.carid.com/2019-chevy-tahoe-fog-lights/lumen-projector-led-fog-lights-1233543783.html) and away I went. Getting the actual lights installed was super easy, trying to find a way to run the wire from the junction box under the hood to the fogs proved to be difficult, at least different, from what I was expecting.

Matt's directions were to run the wire from the junction box (see "c" in my photo below), along the hood release cable, across the top of the frame over the radiator, down the side of the passenger headlight (see "b" on the photo" connecting the lead from the junction box to the harness that connected to both fog lights under the vehicle. On my Tahoe I could not find a good path on that side of the engine bay to run the wire and I was not able to remove the grill to run the wire - at point "a" on the picture the grill appeared attached to the bumper in a way that I could not separate the two - so I set off to find another path.
View attachment 234002

Point "c" shows the junction box, so after following Matt's INCREDIBLY detailed instructions on how to access the box, and add the necessary wire, I found a path through hole with the upper arrow. You can see the same wire where the lower arrow points. This put the connection directly at the driver's side behind the newly installed fog lights.

View attachment 234003
I swapped the connection between the two fogs so the wire from the junction box could now be connected on the driver's side. Now at this point, the fog lights are in, and wired to the junction box.

Matt provided me with a link to a really good deal on ebay for an OEM headlight switch WITH factory fog lights - so I swapped that, and wired the rest of his harness per his instructions and videos. At one point I got stuck and could not locate a connector Matt referred to in his instructions - so I reached out and he responded with another picture, and video to help me out. After that I was all wired up - a quick test revealed everything was working PERFECTLY.

A couple of notes with the way this worked in my Tahoe:
  • there is no fog light indicator on the dashboard that comes on when you turn the lights on and off - no big deal, you can tell they're on
  • I can turn the fog lights on no matter what the headlights are doing. On, off, brights, parking lamps, it does not matter I have complete control over the fog lights -through the OEM switch.
  • Matt's kit does NOT require running any wires from the cabin to the engine bay
  • Matt's kit utilizes the factory fuse for the fog lights
  • the relay box that Matt provides needs to be "secured" to something under the dash. I ended up using velcro tape and attaching it to the back of the BCM to keep it out of the way
  • NO FACTORY WIRES WERE HARMED IN THE INSTALLATION OF THESE LIGHTS AND MATT'S KIT! Everything can easily be undone, and what's better the install looks mostly OEM anyway!
Photo of before:
View attachment 234004
Photo of after:
View attachment 234005

All in all - I am VERY pleased with the look, the investment (time AND money) and the support/help Matt provided. If you're thinking about doing it - do it - I HIGHLY recommend his kit!

Thank you also Michael for posting your results..If I didn't see your post, I wouldn't have found Matt's kit and would have settled for that local custom shop's crap they put on my truck.
Cheers,
Ryan Beard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts