2015 Suburban: Exterior Pillar Covers Popping Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use the 3M Extreme outdoor mounting tape which is double sided with red release ribbon it is MUCH stronger! It's more for permenant mounting and some seriously tough stuff!
Yea that's what it's called. That's what I use. I love that stuff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

jsdritz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My passenger trim piece came loose when I was shutting the door and upon inspection I have found that 3 of the 4 are about to leave the building. I was an early adopter and bought my 2015 in July of 2014 and it has 50,000 miles....so I am out of warranty. I am taking a run at it with the dealer to see if they will replace at their/GM's cost. If/when that fails....for those that attached with silicone and/or some other hot glue solution...where did you apply the silicone/glue? to the perimeter of the piece (where the tape used to be). On that circular metal thing that looks like it used to be attached to the trim?

I bought the tape as well but would rather a permanent solution.

On an unrelated note...anyone else have the issue where the struts holding up the rear glass are rusted to hell?

Denton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger trim piece came loose when I was shutting the door and upon inspection I have found that 3 of the 4 are about to leave the building. I was an early adopter and bought my 2015 in July of 2014 and it has 50,000 miles....so I am out of warranty. I am taking a run at it with the dealer to see if they will replace at their/GM's cost. If/when that fails....for those that attached with silicone and/or some other hot glue solution...where did you apply the silicone/glue? to the perimeter of the piece (where the tape used to be). On that circular metal thing that looks like it used to be attached to the trim?

I bought the tape as well but would rather a permanent solution.

On an unrelated note...anyone else have the issue where the struts holding up the rear glass are rusted to hell?

Good luck, those cost me $350 to replace.

MVR 155

Reaction score
Just did this repair on my 2015 Yukon Denali. I purchased mine new back in 2015 and these just came loose on a recent road trip from Chicago to Copper Mountain, Colorado. 5 of the 6 were loose with the front passenger door being the worst one (all 3 clip locations came unglued. Surprisingly enough, the driver's door is the only one that is still fully secured. I used the heavy duty (30lb rated) Gorilla mounting tape on all of the brackets and re-attached all of the trim pieces. Seems extremely solid now, going to have to see how it holds up. Thanks to those who mentioned this fix!!! It's clear to see that the design from the factory is prone to breaking as it allows zero flex from wind, door closure, etc...... I think the small amount of flex that the mounting tape provides will be beneficial vs. the brittle design from the factory.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. 2015 Yukon. You can see all the fasteners failed on the driver door piece.

05ff6357890baef392079598600d2a2d.jpg

I used a little longer piece of 3M tape than GM uses. Holding up so far. I did not re-glue any of the fasteners back on.

bdfadafaca2aa230dc5d49b703bf5b08.jpg

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for this. Sadly these came off when the wife went through the car wash.
Rear door driver side… both of the rear door pieces…
So I have two on order (I’m hoping “left side” is drivers side)

Now to order some tape to make this the last time I have to worry.

Crod

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for this as well. The tape worked perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz