2015 PPV Tahoe Misfires after Heavy Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atlas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, so I have had my 2015 PPV Tahoe for almost two years now and no real issues until the last couple months. Earlier in the summer it started to struggle in acceleration going from 30+ MPH to 40+ MPH under hard acceleration and threw a P0324 (Knock Control System Error) and had to have both knock sensors replaced, which appears to have resolved that issue. At the same time I had the spark plugs and wires replaced with the GM/ACDelco parts, as a preventative measure. A couple weeks later it threw a P0306 (Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected). I pulled the spark plug and wire, both appeared fine. Put back in and cleared the codes. Went away for awhile and then started up again under heavy acceleration. As long as there is a smooth acceleration all the way up to 80+ MPH there is no issue. About a week ago the issue came back with the P0306 (Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected) plus a new code C0800 (Device power #1 (low current #1) circuit malfunction). I swapped the #4 and #6 spark plug wires and cleared the codes. I am now getting a P0307 (Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected) and am very confused.

Have checked all the cables and connections. Checked the load on the batteries, little old but still giving out the correct readings. Checked if the alternator was providing proper current and was though this was only at idle, didn't have another set of feet to check while revving.

Before I start throwing the part cannon at it, any thoughts on what could be causing these issues? Mode 6 data confirms the misfire counts.

IMG_0236.jpeg

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you perform an OHM ( Resistance ) test on the plug wires ? could also be a failing coil, but since the issue moved with the wire, i would be checking that first.

OP
OP
A

Atlas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey just so I make sure im correct the engine ignition order is 1,3,5,7 on the drivers side of the engine and 2,4,6,8 on the passengers correct? Took my lunch break and checked all the cables with a multimeter and all are fine.

Anything else I should be checking? could voltage spikes from the alternator or battery be causing this issue?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is cylinder orientation / location, but not firing order.

when this happens, does the Check Engine light illuminate and stay or does it flash...the indicates to types of issues. a steady light is generally a sensor, flashing is real time issue and should be shut down and checked

OP
OP
A

Atlas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Flashes and goes away. Like I mentioned before. As long as there is smooth acceleration there is no issue, only after heavy acceleration (flooring it) does it have issues and even then Engine doesnt stumble, no lights dim, no new noises. I also linked some data logs above but it is awaiting moderator approval.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did this similar thing on a road trip, while raining. i would lean towards a sensor connection...check all coil harness connections, possibly even remove, clean and use dielectric grease.

mine has not done it since i removed and reconnected everything

OP
OP
A

Atlas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So unfortunately last night tahoe started to completely miss while driving. Tahoe went straight into limp mode, stabilitrak disabled, abs as well. Multiple codes thrown. P0307, P0300, C0800, U0401. Was lucky it broke down close to my local dealer and dropped it off last night. Called me back today and they are pretty sure it is a lifter failure. They are quoting me $2800 for the work. $1950 for labor and $850 for parts. Of course this is only for the drivers side. They will check the passenger lifters and camshaft for damage as well.

Price seems a little high, but only by a little, otherwise about right from what Ive seen. Question is should I be having them replace the other lifters now? Anything else while its getting done?

Joeltz

Reaction score
So unfortunately last night tahoe started to completely miss while driving. Tahoe went straight into limp mode, stabilitrak disabled, abs as well. Multiple codes thrown. P0307, P0300, C0800, U0401. Was lucky it broke down close to my local dealer and dropped it off last night. Called me back today and they are pretty sure it is a lifter failure. They are quoting me $2800 for the work. $1950 for labor and $850 for parts. Of course this is only for the drivers side. They will check the passenger lifters and camshaft for damage as well.

Price seems a little high, but only by a little, otherwise about right from what Ive seen. Question is should I be having them replace the other lifters now? Anything else while its getting done?
My 2015 did the backfire just as you let off engine code cleared…. Did the POP a few days later.. never cleared limping… lifter stuck…. I said to myself have to get rid of the lifters and all local shops kept saying Swap in a junkyard motor

chevy said about 3000$ to change lifters

i Found a speed shop 150 miles away….. had it towed on a flatbed and waited 3 weeks

360 Customs put in a Texas speed Dod removal Cam kit & LS 7 regular lifters

1000 miles so far saw 24.9 on a highway run at 67 mph is starts and runs like it should

They DYNO tuned it to have computer forget the V8-V4

cost right at $3000
my advice change cam lifters and dyno tune it

The dealer would Not Do this I asked !

Attachments

• C6482CCC-85C8-40BC-8132-83918C8BAE34.jpeg
    C6482CCC-85C8-40BC-8132-83918C8BAE34.jpeg
    356.5 KB · Views: 8
  • B282537D-2EFF-48F0-A5E3-121454CA33D4.jpeg
    B282537D-2EFF-48F0-A5E3-121454CA33D4.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 8

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recommend doing the entire top end if going in there...last dealer trip i recall hearing of was roughly 4K for the whole deal.

i would be doing a DOD delete from a performance shop, and adding a nice bottom end torquey cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low