2015 Engine Listing Code ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Ward

2015 Tahoe LT
Reaction score
I was looking at the engine listing chart online, and it stated that the engine was a ' L-83 ' which is a little sad, since the last L-83 I saw was in a 1984 Corvette that I owned and it was a PIECE of CRAP. It was some of the first with fuel injection on it, 1980 was the first injected engines engines, and while it did lead the way for the current fuel injected power-plants, The L83 and al of the l83 motors were Impossible to modify. Mostly due to the heads and their configuration and that was the 'Cross-fire' intake manifold, Which if you were a Corvette fan, the manifold was installed backwards and by the time the engineering guys found about it, the damned things were already being cast, and even today if you look and an old L83 be it a 1984 or a 1982 or a few early 1980's corvettes. Or if these are LSX engines what are their code ?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was looking at the engine listing chart online, and it stated that the engine was a ' L-83 ' which is a little sad, since the last L-83 I saw was in a 1984 Corvette that I owned and it was a PIECE of CRAP. It was some of the first with fuel injection on it, 1980 was the first injected engines engines, and while it did lead the way for the current fuel injected power-plants, The L83 and al of the l83 motors were Impossible to modify. Mostly due to the heads and their configuration and that was the 'Cross-fire' intake manifold, Which if you were a Corvette fan, the manifold was installed backwards and by the time the engineering guys found about it, the damned things were already being cast, and even today if you look and an old L83 be it a 1984 or a 1982 or a few early 1980's corvettes. Or if these are LSX engines what are their code ?

Look in your glove box at the RPO sticker for your engine code.

Jeramia

Reaction score
I had a 1978-1981-1984 Corvette They were 5.7 or 350 They had the throttle body fuel injetions Not in the heads. Also I don't remember the intake manifold being backwards. None of those years were dogs. Got me into a lot of trouble.Jerry

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all of the 15+ are l83/l86, you can put the l86 manifold on the l83 if it is ported with a l86 throttle body then you can gain about 25hp, but you cant put the l86 throttle body on a l83 alone. not sure about head swaps or anything else yet. for the most part options seem to be limited for the l83

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked a few hours ago and there is nothing but RPO and nothing in them has an engine listing on it ?
they don't put a rpo list anymore, it's a barcode only, there is supposed to be a app you can use to scan and decode it but I could be wrong, you can get the build sheet from gm chat during normal business hours eastern standard time.
all of the 5.3 are l83 and all of the 6.2 are l86
post up your vin and I can give you all the drivetrain information.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
they don't put a rpo list anymore, it's a barcode only, there is supposed to be a app you can use to scan and decode it but I could be wrong, you can get the build sheet from gm chat during normal business hours eastern standard time.
all of the 5.3 are l83 and all of the 6.2 are l86
post up your vin and I can give you all the drivetrain information.

What's "anymore" mean? When?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnQSmith