2014 California smog change discussion....AB 2289

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I smogged my Tahoe today & it passed but I had a long discussion with the smog guy about the changes happening sometime between 1/1/14 & 7/1/14. Apparently, CA is way behind the curve on this stuff. Everything will be odbII based for 00+ & apparently 22 other states have adopted this style of testing already.

Things I know...
-00+ will no longer have a sniffer test...
-<00 will still be sniffed & dynoed...
-It will be obdII port based...
-Visual is still important...
-inspections will be cheaper for motorists...
-No more gas cap pressure checks...
-obdII tests will be under 10 min...
-two smog check programs...obdII only & STAR directed vehicles (for id'd potential gross poluters)
-all Hybrids will be tested...

Things I've heard...
-modified ecu's aren't an automatic fail...
-another MAJOR smog program change shouldn't occur for another ~10years...
-the new Data Acquisition Device may be able to detect modded ecu's...
-apparently the new scan tool will...
Clean Scanning

• The communication protocol that the vehicle uses. This includes SAE J1850,
ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 (Key Word Protocol 2000), and ISO 15765-4 (CAN
Protocol). Some of these protocols permit the use of options that effectively
create distinct sub-protocols.
• The readiness profile of the vehicle. This provides information on which of the 11
readiness indicators are “supported” by the vehicle. The indicator profile is most
often affected by whether or not the vehicle is equipped with secondary air or
exhaust gas recirculation.
• Module ID’s and addresses. Vehicle computer networks typically connect
multiple computer modules together, including the engine control module, the
transmission control module, and often times other modules. The manufacturer
assigns an ID or address for each of these modules. There is no required
convention for how these module ID’s are assigned, so they typically vary
between manufacturers and even between models within a manufacturer’s
product line.
• Parameter Identification Count (PID count). This value can be calculated by the
inspection equipment from information reported by the on-board computer and
indicates how many parameters are available for downloading through the
vehicle’s data stream. The value varies for different vehicle makes and models.
The data parameters identified above can be compared to known values for each
vehicle being inspected. The comparison can take place while the vehicle is being 8
inspected so that discrepancies can be immediately addressed, or it can take place
during post-inspection processing of the data. For the latter, discrepancies could trigger
enforcement investigations against specific inspection stations or inspectors. Most
states performing OBD inspections already collect this data and are successfully using it
to identify fraudulent tests and take action against the inspectors and/or stations without
the need to do further undercover observations or evidence gathering.
Newer vehicles include additional sources of information, which can go as far as
positively confirming whether or not the downloaded data is from the vehicle purportedly
being inspected.
• Calibration ID (Cal ID), a number assigned by the manufacturer to identify the
software calibration of the vehicle. This ID is usually unique to a particular
vehicle model.
• Calibration Verification Number (CVD). This value is computed based on
contents of the on-board computer’s software. It is typically unique to a specific
CAL ID for a particular vehicle model, or even at the sub-model level.
• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Newer model year vehicles store the VIN
electronically in the on-board computer. This value uniquely identifies the test
vehicle, and can be compared to the VIN on the registration renewal form.

The obdII diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

Things I'm interested to know...Many touched on by the ARB linked article below...
-The State of California allows modification to automobile engines so I'm guessing tunes will be ok (since many carb add-ons like s/c's come with tunes) as long as there are no codes, no pending codes, & all sensors/modules are transmitting data. Also assuming CARB legal equipment will still all pass visual.

-I'm thinking smogs may be easier now but the question comes to where is the line. My smog guys says that he believes this will loosen up the noose a bit on clean running cars but tighten up on smog shops. Since not all manufactures release data on their software/programming & there is no standard to my knowledge in ecu formats other than obdII systems most people will be ok if there aren't codes & all proper sensors & modules are transmitting data that indicates clean/healthy operation.
As long as the emissions parts are CARB legal and in working order and emissions outputs from various sensors throughout the system are within specs, this new testing procedure will be easy for most.

-From all the reading I've been doing this seems to be more about streamlining the smog process & cleaning up the corruption in the current system than anything else. Also, more revenue will be generated with Hybrid testing.

-Since the system is now looking for emissions readings does it see or care about the tune? For that matter, if it passes visual & has no codes will aftermarket camshafts and/or custom components fly right by?

I've read that since GM went to a CANBUS design for 2005+ that the calibration ID is visible, but for 2000-2004 that information is not displayed through a OBDII scan (maybe through a Tech2 though). So, if tunes fail sounds like there are 'black' years that may scoot through?!?

I know it's pretty early on, and the new DAD systems aren't rolled out yet, but I can't find anybody who has had just the OBDII scan yet to confirm this.

Seems like the smoking gun may be in the Parameter Identification Count (PID count) & the id's below...
Newer vehicles include additional sources of inform
ation, which can go as far as
positively confirming whether or not the downloaded
data is from the vehicle purportedly
being inspected.

Calibration ID (Cal ID), a number assigned by the
manufacturer to identify the
software calibration of the vehicle. This ID is us
ually unique to a particular
vehicle model.

Calibration Verification Number (CVD). This value
is computed based on
contents of the on-board computer’s software. It i
s typically unique to a specific
CAL ID for a particular vehicle model, or even at t
he sub-model level.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Newer model
year vehicles store the VIN
electronically in the on-board computer. This valu
e uniquely identifies the test
vehicle, and can be compared to the VIN on the regi
stration renewal form.

Might have doubled up my thoughts & info in a few places but thought it was worth discussing.

I seriously think this is a good step for people who mod responsibly but I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.

A good (but older) article on this testing from ARB http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/smogcheck/march09/transitioning_to_obd_only_im.pdf

The ARB article, while worth a read, does summarize with...
In summary, the data indicate that while lost emission reductions are never desirable,
their magnitude would be small in comparison to the benefits of the program overall, and
the cost savings associated with OBD only inspections would likely be disproportionately
large by comparison.

It looks promising...

Cameron

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oregon has been OBDII for the last few years. My 01 has passed it many times.
The last they didn't even look at the cats. And they have never opened the hood.

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZ just plugs into your computer, you pay your $25 and your out the door! I used to hate the dyno/visual inspections especially when my tags are due in June. Those stupid buildings dont have swamp coolers or AC, just an open bay with a fan that is waaaayyy too small to be circulating the air.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Ya, AZ has been OBDII for quite awhile now. Here, I think it's 96+ tho??. Been over a year since I last did it, so may be off on years. But makes the process SO much faster. I hated the dyno. Over 12 years ago, had my 69' VW Karmann Ghia on the rollers, and they didn't tighten down the straps good enough, and off came rear wheel, ruining brand new tire and almost a rim. Luckily that was all, and they ended up paying for that mistake. Hated going ever since then.

But now it's simple, and faster. Plug n go, check gas cap seal here. And as long as no service lights are present on dash, good to go. As long as pass that is,lol. But doing the port, simplifies the process. And like YukonXLPerk, too hot here in AZ to be sitting inside a non air conditioned building.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news for you.

I lived in CA for 15 years and hated the smog checks. $80+ for incompetent people to abuse my vehicles on dynos, fail me for having aftermarket CARB documented bolt ons, etc.

VA does the check using the method you say CA is moving toward. All they do is check for codes and the Emissions Readiness state via the diagnostic port. The readiness test will prevent you from resetting the computer around the corner from the shop before having it tested. Then they check the gas cap. You're in and out in 5-10 minutes if you don't have to wait in line. And the best part, at least here in VA we only pay $28 for the check every 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros