2013 Yukon Denali XL gas tank question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
So I know the gas tank is 31 gallons.
Yet when it's flashing you are low on fuel, I can only add something like 21 gallons, like yesterday, or 26 gallons if it's completely empty, on zero.
Either the sending unit is not right, or .. what? If I added 21 gallons, why it was saying you are low with 10 gallons supposedly left in it?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet when it's flashing you are low on fuel, I can only add something like 21 gallons, like yesterday, or 26 gallons if it's completely empty, on zero.
Either the sending unit is not right, or .. what? If I added 21 gallons, why it was saying you are low with 10 gallons supposedly left in it?
Did the gauge show full when you were done? If so, then I would suspect the sender in the tank.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what a scan tool reports as the fuel level percentage, comparing that to the gauge. Might tell you if it's the gauge or the sender.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family and I are on the road this week with our 2012 Yukon XL, and just yesterday I got the very low fuel warning… Beyond being able to see how many miles are left. It just said fuel level low. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before. Anyway, I was only able to put 27 gallons in the tank. So yours might not be too far off.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family and I are on the road this week with our 2012 Yukon XL, and just yesterday I got the very low fuel warning… Beyond being able to see how many miles are left. It just said fuel level low. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before. Anyway, I was only able to put 27 gallons in the tank. So yours might not be too far off.
Most I recall putting in our 2013 Yukon XL with low level warning is around 26-27 gallons.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I share your components on our 09 Esky AWD if yours is not 2WD. It is a 30 gal tank you can overfill to 31gal if your vapor recovery is in good working order.

My system was in the process of leaking it’s pellets from the carbon canister when I bought it in TX 2020. As soon as I hit CA with the vapor recovery gas nozzles, it all went south. I could only fill it to 25gal and it took 25 min to do it.

I took the following action to cure the issue. Ultimately I also added a new oem fuel pump when the tank was being cleaned out of carbon pellets. Here’s the post from another forum.

Going through some of the codes and I remembered one or two of the little buggers I forgot to order that is known to throw a code for the Evap system ...

Vapor Canister Purge Valve Part # 214-1680 (below) known to eliminate code P0446. There's a group of four that should be replaced when Evap codes start. I just ordered # 1 & 3 listed below. # 2 & 4 have already been replaced as deferred / preventative maint and a path to clear the check engine light.

1) 214-1680 (Below) ACDelco GM Original Equipment 214-1680 Vapor Canister Purge Valve
2) 22963841 Charcoal Vapor Canister
3) ACDelco GT295 GM Original Equipment Fuel Tank Cap *
4) GM Genuine Parts 23287620 Vapor Canister Purge Valve Hose + 19257603 Vapor Canister Vent Valve Solenoid Jumper Wiring Harness

2009 - 2010/11 and 2010/11 - 2014 may have a different thread pitch on the gas caps. Verify your VIN to ensure you get the right one. Part # GT259 vs GT359?
214SSJBcq0L._AC_US600_.jpg
  • The replacement OEM fuel pump will cure the bad fuel sender and should have been replaced due to age (150K mi + 13 years of use) It should also cure code P069E (fuel pump module), P0191 & P2635 (fuel flow). When I have less than 5 gal of fuel in the truck it sputtered on hard acceleration.
  • The P0523 code is taken care of by the new oil pressure sensor.

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 suburban here...same thing

OP
OP
D

dictum

Reaction score
2013 suburban here...same thing
Have you identified the source of the problem?

Could it be the low fuel warning is bogus and in actuality you have a lot more gas than it says you do? The gauge says the tank is full when the 21 or so gallons are added. Is that an error and it's not really full?

It's either that, or it's not empty when it says it's empty. Or the warning light comes on with a huge reserve of almost 10 gallons?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently had my pump and float replaced now I'm scared to run it low because even way before the light coming on it's taking 24-25 gallons, before Changing it the light would come on and it would take anywhere from 25-27 gal.

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you identified the source of the problem?

Could it be the low fuel warning is bogus and in actuality you have a lot more gas than it says you do? The gauge says the tank is full when the 21 or so gallons are added. Is that an error and it's not really full?

It's either that, or it's not empty when it says it's empty. Or the warning light comes on with a huge reserve of almost 10 gallons?
Hasn't bothered me enough to straighten it out or even look into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401